spence

Who else thinks Aldo Ray was underrated

19 posts in this topic

Watching Naked and the Dead again Aldo ray per usual steals the show, who else thinks he was underrated?

From Pat & Mike, Battle Cry & others he was always dependable

• Like 1

in PA they used to have a parade for him, being from there-(not certain exactly where though) & died in 1991 at just 65 though

He thought Robert Ryan shoulda' won the Oscar for God's Little Acre & wasn't impressed with John Wayne during The Green berets, refusing to call him duke

• Like 1

Aldo Ray did some fine performances.   But I don't like his performances as a dunce;  These come off as being forced.    

My favorite film with Ray is Nightfall with a very lovey Anne Bancroft.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea Nightfall and Fantasy Noir Psychic Killer (1975) are good.

I sometimes wonder if he was cast in PAT AND MIKE because he performed certain ahem favors for George Cukor. That's how his career really gained momentum, when he was directed by Cukor in that film which led to his starring role with Judy Holliday soon after in THE MARRYING KIND (also with Cukor).

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Aldo Ray did some fine performances.   But I don't like his performances as a dunce;  These come off as being forced.    

Never saw this one yet?

47 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I sometimes wonder if he was cast in PAT AND MIKE because he performed certain ahem favors for George Cukor. That's how his career really gained momentum, when he was directed by Cukor in that film which led to his starring role with Judy Holliday soon after in THE MARRYING KIND (also with Cukor).

WOW, do you mean what I think you mean

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Yea Nightfall and Fantasy Noir Psychic Killer (1975) are good.

Yet to see either, does TCM ever air them?

3 minutes ago, spence said:

WOW, do you mean what I think you mean

I sincerely doubt Cukor cast him for his acting ability, because he wasn't a very strong actor in his first few films. Cukor probably saw a chance to "mentor" him. Cukor would do the same thing later with Denny Miller, who was the same type as Aldo Ray.

There was a casting couch for young male hopefuls, just like there was for starlets.

• Like 1

I love Aldo Ray. He was born in Pen Argyl PA, same town as Jayne Mansfield. (I now work for this beautiful town!)

I think Aldo was a natural- a lovable type we all know in real life. He played soldiers, cops & athletes well, but I loved him in THE MARRYING KIND as just a normal guy.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 12:45 PM, spence said:

Watching Naked and the Dead again Aldo ray per usual steals the show, who else thinks he was underrated?

From Pat & Mike, Battle Cry & others he was always dependable

While I'll agree with you about Aldo Ray stealing the picture here spence, there was something else that kind'a surprised me after my first viewing of The Naked and the Dead the other day on TCM.

And THAT being that it was movie, and especially a WAR movie, in which a character played by actor Richard Jaeckel doesn't bite the dust by the end of it.

(...nope, couldn't believe he actually made it back alive in this one)

you know, he coulda passed for something like ernest borgnine's kid brother.

:)

Related image

• Like 3

I don't know if Aldo was or wasn't underrated, but he certainly never after a while drifted far from "type".  Most of my generation typically associated him with war movies anyway, so seeing him in other kinds of roles seemed out of kilter for us, and he looked like he felt that way too.

Sepiatone

I read an anecdote from David Lynch, who met Ray through his son, Eric DaRae (Aldo's real last name), who played a villain in Twin Peaks. Lynch told Ray he'd love to cast him, but Ray said he was just unable to perform anymore. This doesn't seem to quite jibe with his imdb resume, which indicates he must have been working all the time in the last five years of his life in what appear to be straight-to-video movies. But I don't know the lag time of these things. They may have all been completed before Lynch met him.

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I don't know if Aldo was or wasn't underrated, but he certainly never after a while drifted far from "type".  

Agree with that 100%

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Most of my generation typically associated him with war movies anyway, so seeing him in other kinds of roles seemed out of kilter for us, and he looked like he felt that way too.

Disagree 75%. I think Aldo is a "type", an intense type, so I don't always think of him in war movies. I much prefer his "every guy" roles where he's a teddy bear. But I could totally see him as a psycho-he can be large & menacing too.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 4:08 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Also my favorite Aldo Ray movie.  But I like him in just about everything he did.  Recently enjoyed his performance with Rita Hayworth in 1953's Miss Sadie Thompson.

Is Aldo Ray the same "type" as Ralph Meeker? (Yeah, my type) I can see them interchanged in each others' roles. 

• Like 1