Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Explain why you like/dislike 31 Days of Oscar programming

40 posts in this topic

I'll start...

DISLIKE the fact it's 24-7 for more than four weeks. It should be done only in primetime so the daytime schedule is freed up for birthday tributes.

LIKE the fact that some more modern films receive premieres.

DISLIKE the fact that they have only ever shown two Republic films for 31 Days of Oscar. Republic had more than 25 films nominated for Oscars.

LIKE the fact that if you fall asleep or miss a day of programming, most titles will be rescheduled soon since they tend to be in heavy rotation already.

DISLIKE the fact that it's meant to promote the yearly Oscar telecast instead of actually celebrate film history.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LIKE - It does give me the chance to catch up on some classics that I haven't yet seen.

DISLIKE- There is only a finite group of films to choose from. The selections are pretty much the same every year. The only real mystery is what theme they'll use to present the films.

DISLIKE- That is monopolizes the programming and stretches into more than one month

DISLIKE- RO isn't around to present any of the selected films.  He was the author of a book about the Oscars, so I felt that his role as Oscar and film historian made the presentations a little more interesting.

LIKE- Occasionally they'll choose some films that I haven't seen or feature a performer that I am unfamiliar with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there have been three Republic films shown during 31 Days: The Quiet ManSands of Iwo Jima and Moonrise. But one of my dislikes is definitely a lack of diversity among studio representation.

I've always been a supporter of 31 Days, which was the whole reason I started watching TCM. i'm pretty list-y and detail and minutiae-oriented and have been sort of obsessed with the Oscars since young childhood. I think at one time I thought I really needed to see every Best Picture nominee or at least winner, and such a format certainly seemed at the time like a good way to do that, before I knew the limitations of TCM programming. Sometimes I'll look back at a year's nominees and figure out which ones I haven't seen and wistfully hope they'll turn up on TCM someday.

A minor dislike is the organizational scheme. They've pretty much done it every way they can, I think. They've done A-Z and 360 degrees at least twice each. When I was first watching, the daytime programming was themeless, I think, while the nighttime programming was organized around different themes. I believe that's how they did it this year. I don't think it's a realistic hope that they would just do 31 Days at night. It seems to be a point of pride with them that the entire 31 days be filled with winners and nominees.

I do like the introduction of some newer films that seem to occur primarily during this month. It's never been a lot, but it really seems to have whittled down to just a handful the last couple of years.

Anyway, I'm still a supporter of the format, though I know it's been much meh'd on these boards. I eagerly await the posting of the new lineup every year (which should be soon, right?). I'd really like to have a lineup for every year. Most of my online searches have been frustrating, though I did find 2007 and 2009, I think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pay $10/month for TCM and would rather pick movies on my own. (FilmStruck) I don't support TCM cuteness with hosts and themes.

I can drop TCM with Comcast because it is now an add-on with no time commitment. I haven't watched TCM in at least a week.

Disney+ is screaming my name. TCM isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I'll start...

DISLIKE the fact it's 24-7 for more than four weeks. It should be done only in primetime so the daytime schedule is freed up for birthday tributes.

LIKE the fact that some more modern films receive premieres.

DISLIKE the fact that they have only ever shown two Republic films for 31 Days of Oscar. Republic had more than 25 films nominated for Oscars.

LIKE the fact that if you fall asleep or miss a day of programming, most titles will be rescheduled soon since they tend to be in heavy rotation already.

DISLIKE the fact that it's meant to promote the yearly Oscar telecast instead of actually celebrate film history.

I think I tuned into two or three films last time. I agree they should only do this in the primetime slot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There also isn't anyway to really spin the Oscar theme into something different. 

Trying to show films that "didn't win the Oscar" would just be TCM's regular programming, which I imagine would defeat the purpose of their spotlight.

They cannot even do anything like "actors who should have won the Oscar," "films that should have won," etc. because that would all be subjective according to the programmers' tastes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if they made a month's schedule using only movies that were nominated or won an Oscar, but didn't advertise it as such, just releasing the schedule, if anyone would notice. I don't think there'd be a huge difference from any other month's schedule, although I don't know if there's a single star with enough nominated/winning Oscar films to fill out a Star-of-the-Month spotlight. Or any TCM Underground. Maybe.

Someone with the time and inclination should list all of the Oscar movies from 1927 through 1970 that have never been on TCM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only agree that these special programming events should only play when there are hosts on-air. TCM sometimes has special daytime themes and obviously never says a word on-air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I wonder if they made a month's schedule using only movies that were nominated or won an Oscar, but didn't advertise it as such, just releasing the schedule, if anyone would notice. I don't think there'd be a huge difference from any other month's schedule, although I don't know if there's a single star with enough nominated/winning Oscar films to fill out a Star-of-the-Month spotlight. Or any TCM Underground. Maybe.

Someone with the time and inclination should list all of the Oscar movies from 1927 through 1970 that have never been on TCM.

I've thought about at least figuring out the Best Picture winners that haven't aired! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I wonder if they made a month's schedule using only movies that were nominated or won an Oscar, but didn't advertise it as such, just releasing the schedule, if anyone would notice. I don't think there'd be a huge difference from any other month's schedule, although I don't know if there's a single star with enough nominated/winning Oscar films to fill out a Star-of-the-Month spotlight. Or any TCM Underground. Maybe.

Someone with the time and inclination should list all of the Oscar movies from 1927 through 1970 that have never been on TCM.

I did a quick query of Best Picture Winners against Movie Collector OH's Database and came up with this list that has NOT been on TCM: 

1966 The Sound of Music
1987 Platoon
1994 Schindler’s List
2006 Crash
2007 The Departed
2009 Slumdog Millionaire
2013 Argo
2014 12 Years a Slave
2015 Birdman
2016 Spotlight
2017 Moonlight
2018 The Shape of Water
2019 Green Book

BTW the date is the year of the awards show and not  the movie release date.  Also, its possible I missed a few if TCM showed a movie with the same name as an award winner (I eyeballed the results but I could have missed some).  I thought TCM had shown Schindler's List and The Departed but I double checked and didn't see them on the database....  

 

 

 

 
 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been a trend on Internet sources and by the Academy itself to start referring to a picture by the year of the ceremony and not the year of release, which drives me insane. Hence, anyone representing the Academy will now call The Sound of Music the Best Picture winner of 1966, when for 95% of my time on the planet, it would have been referred to as the Best Picture Winner of 1965. I don't really understand the need for this paradigm shift, but it's happened and probably won't be reversed. But thanks for the info. Thanks to The Godfather's probably rather extraordinary one-time airing on TCM, it appears Sound of Music is the only pre-1985 Best Picture winner to have never aired on TCM.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 1:12 PM, CallMeTim said:

I did a quick query of Best Picture Winners against Movie Collector OH's Database and came up with this list that has NOT been on TCM: 

1966 The Sound of Music
1987 Platoon
1994 Schindler’s List
2006 Crash
2007 The Departed
2009 Slumdog Millionaire
2013 Argo
2014 12 Years a Slave
2015 Birdman
2016 Spotlight
2017 Moonlight
2018 The Shape of Water
2019 Green Book

BTW the date is the year of the awards show and not  the movie release date.  Also, its possible I missed a few if TCM showed a movie with the same name as an award winner (I eyeballed the results but I could have missed some).  I thought TCM had shown Schindler's List and The Departed but I double checked and didn't see them on the database....  

 

 
 

 

 

I am sure ARGO and some of the later ones on your list will eventually turn up on TCM. One or two might even receive a premiere in February.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DISLIKE:  Because I want to see stuff like CHARLIE CHAN IN EGYPT, not "prestigious" films.

But of course due to political correctness I'd probably now have to seek out all the Asian detectives, including Mr. Moto, on YouTube.  TCM for better or worse is not going to show them. Okay, I think it's for worse.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure any of those films were ever nominated for an Oscar, but even so, yeah, you're probably less likely to see them on TCM in 2019 than in any previous year. Hope you have other access.

I suppose they might show them with a "it was a different time" disclaimer from the host?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 4:12 PM, CallMeTim said:

I did a quick query of Best Picture Winners against Movie Collector OH's Database and came up with this list that has NOT been on TCM: 

1966 The Sound of Music
1987 Platoon
1994 Schindler’s List
2006 Crash
2007 The Departed
2009 Slumdog Millionaire
2013 Argo
2014 12 Years a Slave
2015 Birdman
2016 Spotlight
2017 Moonlight
2018 The Shape of Water
2019 Green Book 

BTW the date is the year of the awards show and not  the movie release date.  Also, its possible I missed a few if TCM showed a movie with the same name as an award winner (I eyeballed the results but I could have missed some).  I thought TCM had shown Schindler's List and The Departed but I double checked and didn't see them on the database....  

 

 

 

 
 

 

 

I'm actually surprised that the award winners in 2010, 2011, and 2012 have been on TCM, since they have always tried to stick to the tradition of not showing films that are less than ten years old so that time can pass judgment on whether or not they are truly classics. Maybe they make an exception for Oscar nominees.

So what do I hate about Oscar month? That it is really 31 Days of WB/MGM/RKO Oscar, with very few exceptions. And now that The Mouse owns Fox, I guess you can really forget about seeing Oscar nominated films from that studio on TCM again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't bother to do any graphs in my project, but was jacking around with something else and plugged in TCM numbers to test it.  Nothing you couldn't tell just by looking at the schedule, which is one reason I never bothered before.  In any case fewer, longer movies overall for Feb (I used Feb of last year as a reference).  Year and month are in the titles and filenames.  If you save these images offline and cycle through them in an image viewer it becomes more apparent as these are all to the same scale.

There may be some repeats in a given month, but no shorts.  They need to be linked in IMDB in order to show up here, so in general they need to be movies.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/201802a.jpg

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/201910a.jpg

 

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/201911a.jpg
 

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/201912a.jpg

 

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/202001a.jpg

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I'm actually surprised that the award winners in 2010, 2011, and 2012 have been on TCM, since they have always tried to stick to the tradition of not showing films that are less than ten years old so that time can pass judgment on whether or not they are truly classics. Maybe they make an exception for Oscar nominees.

So what do I hate about Oscar month? That it is really 31 Days of WB/MGM/RKO Oscar, with very few exceptions. And now that The Mouse owns Fox, I guess you can really forget about seeing Oscar nominated films from that studio on TCM again.

Here's a quote from an interview with Robert Osborne by Scott Hollleran about the then upcoming 2015 "31 days of Oscar" programming: 

Quote

Our “31 Days of Oscar” [programming] in February starts with the first four films to win Best Picture. On our last night, we’re showing No Country for Old Men, The King’s Speech and The Artist.

(Interview from ~2014 about Robert Redford as SOTM; link:http://scottholleran.com/writings/interviews/interview-robert-osborne-robert-redford/ )

They were probably tying to show as wide of a range as possible during that year.   The Artist was released in 2011 (2012 winner) so it was only 4 years old at the time it was shown.   This might have been one of the "youngest" non-documentary films they've shown but considering the subject manner it makes sense.

As an aside, I remember seeing "No Country for Old Men" on TCM.  Robert Osborne gave the intro and it seemed to me that he was kind of uncomfortable with the film.   

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CallMeTim said:

 

Here's a quote from an interview with Robert Osborne by Scott Hollleran about the then upcoming 2015 "31 days of Oscar" programming: 

(Interview from ~2014 about Robert Redford as SOTM; link:http://scottholleran.com/writings/interviews/interview-robert-osborne-robert-redford/ )

They were probably tying to show as wide of a range as possible during that year.   The Artist was released in 2011 (2012 winner) so it was only 4 years old at the time it was shown.   This might have been one "youngest" non-documentary films they've shown but considering the subject manner it makes sense.

As an aside, I remember seeing "No Country for Old Men" on TCM.  Robert Osborne gave the intro and it seemed to me he was kind of uncomfortable with the film.

 

 

 

Yes, there were a lot of newer movies during 31 Days of Oscar in 2015. Plus they had Redford as Star of the Month that January, with his stuff from the 70s and 80s. So during that time, they were pushing more recent post-code movies. But I think that became too expensive and in the years that followed they went back to showing the studio era films they have in the Turner library.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 4:12 PM, CallMeTim said:

I did a quick query of Best Picture Winners against Movie Collector OH's Database and came up with this list that has NOT been on TCM: 

1966 The Sound of Music
1987 Platoon
1994 Schindler’s List
2006 Crash
2007 The Departed
2009 Slumdog Millionaire
2013 Argo
2014 12 Years a Slave
2015 Birdman
2016 Spotlight
2017 Moonlight
2018 The Shape of Water
2019 Green Book

BTW the date is the year of the awards show and not  the movie release date.  Also, its possible I missed a few if TCM showed a movie with the same name as an award winner (I eyeballed the results but I could have missed some).  I thought TCM had shown Schindler's List and The Departed but I double checked and didn't see them on the database....  

 

 

 

 
 

 

 

I might be suffering from a blatant case of revisionist history.  I remember TCM having a month of Jewish film celebration during the month of November between 1998 and 2004.  I believe "Schindler's List" was shown as part of this celebration.  Robert Osborne may have had a guest programmer(s) during the month speaking about Jewish films and how Jews are depicted in film.  But I do remember thinking that TCM has never repeated a Jewish Film celebration since this time and why TCM Programmers do not want to repeat any type of month of special programming, even if it was originally broadcast over fifteen years ago.  Its as if there month of special programming motto is "Once is enough. We never ever repeat."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, thomasterryjr said:

I might be suffering from a blatant case of revisionist history.  I remember TCM having a month of Jewish film celebration during the month of November between 1998 and 2004.  I believe "Schindler's List" was shown as part of this celebration.  Robert Osborne may have had a guest programmer(s) during the month speaking about Jewish films and how Jews are depicted in film.  But I do remember thinking that TCM has never repeated a Jewish Film celebration since this time and why TCM Programmers do not want to repeat any type of month of special programming, even if it was originally broadcast over fifteen years ago.  Its as if there month of special programming motto is "Once is enough. We never ever repeat."

Actually it feels like they're ticking off boxes. Jewish images? Got it. Gay images? Check. Latin images? Yes. Women in film? Check. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need Experimental, Blaxploitation and Sexploitation films as the next boxes. 😎

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess my major DISlike would be that since there's only a limited amount of Oscar winning movies, and movies with cast members who won an Oscar for their performance in them,they drag in ANY movie that got a nomination for ANYthing.  And didn't necessarily win.  Like maybe, "nominated for best sound engineering" (but never came close to winning)  So.....SHOW OF HANDS-----

HOW many on these forums made it a special point to go see a movie because somebody raved about the sound editing?  Or....ANY editing for that matter?  And as for that movie being on TCM, if you hadn't seen it before, will the fact it might have been nominated( but lost) for a "best sound" Oscar entice you to tune in?  Especially if you're one of those "nosediving"  dinks that watch on your phone or tablet?  I mean, how're you ever gonna KNOW how good it's supposed to sound?

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt TCM has very often if at all focused specifically on movies nominated in one of the more obscure technical categories, though probably such films are occasionally shown if they fit a particular theme (or if the daytime hours have no theme).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thomasterryjr said:

Its as if there month of special programming motto is "Once is enough. We never ever repeat."

While TCM certainly repeats plenty of Movies, the intros/outros always seem to be new. I think maybe they repeated some old Robert Osborne intro/outros during a tribute to his favorite Essentials or something, though I didn't catch any of those, so I'm not sure. They apparently don't feel the need to repeat certain themes or spotlights every year. I imagine they'll have a Jewish-themed night or month again some year, but if and when they do, there will be new intros/outros. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

While TCM certainly repeats plenty of Movies, the intros/outros always seem to be new. 

I would correct this statement to say newly filmed. I do think they recycle a lot of the old information that was used in previous wraparounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us