Sign in to follow this  
Gershwin fan

The Highwaymen (2019) vs Bonnie and Clyde (1967)?

8 posts in this topic

Anyone else see the new film on the famous events? It is not as good as the 1967 classic but I enjoyed it a lot. It focuses more on the highwaymen who killed the couple whereas the guy is only a minor character in the 60s film. This film depicts Bonnie and Clyde in a much more negative light while the Faye Dunaway- Warren Beatty one, which is sympathetic to them and tries to whitewash their crimes. In the 1967 film they only kill people on accident (the guy runs out and latches onto the side of their car) while in this film they lure policemen by pretending their car is broken down and shoot them purely for the thrill of it. The Faye Dunaway one also shows Bonnie as more sympathetic and "fighting against the banks" while here she shoots the police in the head point blank and even points the gun at his head and laughs and says "Hi sweetie" before shooting him right there. This film does show the shantytowns of the era but it depicts it as an obstacle to be overcome by everyone and the banks are shown in a neutral light at best. A gas station attendant says something like "they rob the banks that rob us so they're alright" and then the titular highwayman beats him up and points a gun at his head and tells him to take it back. The difference in "moods" and themes between the two films is stunning. I thought this scene near the beginning where they stage a prison break was well shot.

Of course, the real prison break was nothing like this but it is just a movie. This film is also noir influenced in some scenes. The scene where the two look over the dead body of a former member of the Barrow gang and vow to bring them to justice is shot with a use of shadows that brings some of the 40s noirs to mind. While the original 67 film is 10/10, I would say this one is probably 6/10 or 7/10. Not a great film but still enjoyable. Neither are necessarily historically accurate but most movies aren't anyways.

13 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

:o  :wacko:

Y-y-y-you don't mean these guys?? 

:D 

Sepiatone

Ah, the best Highwaymen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember reading about The Highwaymen and being a little intrigued by its radically different take on the same events. I even heard a bit of an interview with Woody Harrelson and Kevin Costner which got a bit of Internet buzz because Costner was an extra in one of Harrelson's movies, and Harrelson either never knew or forgot. But I didn't see it. I sometimes watch Netflix when visiting my parents, but I"m sticking to Amazon Prime for now at home, not wanting to pay for another streaming service. Did it have any kind of theatrical release at all?

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Did it have any kind of theatrical release at all?

It's been shown at some film festivals but I don't think it had a wide release.

• Thanks 1