overeasy

Movie quotes you use all the time...

75 posts in this topic

Are there quotes from movies that you use frequently when having a normal conversation with people? I know that I used to fall back on Ghostbuster's dialogue a lot, though I've used it less over the years. (eg, "Egon, your mucous") From classic films, oddly, I often use "It's a ledge" from Mr. Blandings.  This comes in handy when digging in the garden...

Of course, when using classic film quotes, most people just look at me as if to say, "Wha?"

• Haha 1

I've used various lines and quotes from various movies to fit in various situations.  Which are used more frequently than others I couldn't say.  I'll give it more thought and hopefully get back to ya.  ;)

Sepiatone

The one I tend to use often is "He's so incompetent, if he owned a funeral parlour, nobody would die!" That was from the movie "Wall Street" (1988) Unfortunately for me, I know a lot of incompetent people.

• Haha 1

We bandy lots of quotes around our house, and I too will need to think about specifics. One that comes to mind is from THE GHOST AND MR CHICKEN -- we say "And they used Bon Ami!" all the time.

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member"

Used this one at the vitamin store today.  Hadn't noticed this thread yet either.

raw

- "IIIII....shouldn'ta done that."

600px-Batman-DoubleShotgun1.JPG

- (loads gun) "I have given a NAME to my pain..."

marxbrothers_ssc_06.jpg

- "Remember, this school was here before you, and it'll be here after you leave!"

• Like 1

"We're gonna need a bigger boat" from Jaws. Or a variation dependent on the situation - "We're gonna need a bigger _____."

"Badges? BADGES?!? We don't need no stinkin' badges!", with the "badges" often swapped out for a relevant word.

"And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!" from Dune. I'll often shout this out at the store.

"I hate 'em when they ain't been shaved." I'll growl out this line from Near Dark to any customer service worker with a beard.

"If it bleeds, we can kill it." I'll whisper this line from Predator to any fellow customer nearby the meat aisle while I'm in the store.

• Like 2

What is under my avatar:   nothing is as bad as something,  not so bad.

This is a line from The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934);    The Leslie Howard character Percy\Pimpernel is asked for advise by the Prince of Wales (Nigel Bruce), about his new cuffs.    The Prince's tailor is telling him about these new cuffs and the Prince says to Percy that they are "not so bad".

I use this line anytime someone says something is "not so bad"  (which is way too often for me).    Not-so-bad isn't good,,,, and thus,,,  the thinking behind the crack.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What is under my avatar:   nothing is as bad as something,  not so bad.

This is a line from The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934);    The Leslie Howard character Percy\Pimpernel is asked for advise by the Prince of Wales (Nigel Bruce), about his new cuffs.    The Prince's tailor is telling him about these new cuffs and the Prince says to Percy that they are "not so bad".

I use this line anytime someone says something is "not so bad"  (which is way too often for me).    Not-so-bad isn't good,,,, and thus,,,  the thinking behind the crack.

Love that movie! It was a total surprise to me when I first saw it. And now I love the quote!

"Turn right here left" (when giving directions)

"It looked enormous in the ad" (when disappointed that something isn't what it looked like online)

-The Long, Long Trailer

---

"I'm shocked! Shocked!" (feigning surprise)

"We'll get drunk, we'll go fishin'" (when asked what we should do tonight)

-Casablanca

---

"I don't think my father, the inventor of Toaster Strudel, would be too happy to hear about this" (when someone does something I don't think was a good idea)

"She doesn't even go here!" (when something doesn't belong)

-Mean Girls

---

"Oh sure Jan, like we'd really win." (when someone has a bad idea)

(In demonic voice)

"Let's knock over a 7-11" (when asked what we should do tonight)

The Brady Bunch Movie

---

"I'd like to speak to a live guy." (When asked what I want to do)

A Very Brady Sequel

---

"Mwage is wot bwings us togeder today. Mwage, that bwessed awangement, that dweam wifin a dweam." (I just say this, because it's funny)

The Princess Bride

---

"F-F-Flames on the side of my face." (feigning being upset about something)

Clue

---

I have a myriad of Simpsons, Golden Girls and I Love Lucy quotes that I break out as well.  Basically none of my words are my own.

Sometimes my favorite quotes aren't even funny on their own, but it was funny how the line was said.

In I Love Lucy, Lucy introduces Ethel to Rock Hudson:

LUCY: This is Mrs. uh... Mrs. uh...

ETHEL: Mertz

LUCY: Mertz?! 

When I don't remember someone's name or when a classmate of mine changes their name on FB and I don't recognize them, I like to say: "Mertz?!"

---

Most of my Golden Girls quotes are me channeling my inner (albeit, less scandalous) Blanche:

(When having shrimp)

"SHRIMP!" (and immediately turning back around and leaving the room)

"I love a tight man" (when asked what I like)

"This is Ever Man's work. Just open any page and let the magic touch you" (random book recommendation)

I will also channel Rose and sing a work song while making dinner: "gonna stuff a chicken... DOWN IN THE MISSISSIPPI..."

---

I might be just a weirdo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Clark Griswold: look at it this way, honey. this is a part of America that we never get to see."

ellen: that's good.

Clark: no, that's bad. we can't close our eyes to the plight of the cities.

:)

• Haha 1

I’m partial to a few other ‘Christmas Vacation’ quotes. That movie is a classic. We watch it every year. 

”Is Rusty still in the Navy?”

”Why is the floor wet, Todd?”

“I don’t know, Margo!”

”The sh- - - - r’s full.” 

I also love Clark’s rant about having the hap happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby danced with Danny f-ing Kaye! 

HSUNErz.gif

I use this line when some person is eavesdropping on a private conversation which I am having with my insignificant duhther. We will then lapse into a discussion of the difficulty in disposing of a fresh corpse.

• Haha 2

hqdefault.jpg

- "It's symbolic of our struggle against oppression!"

"It's symbolic of his struggle against reality."

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

"If it bleeds, we can kill it." I'll whisper this line from Predator to any fellow customer nearby the meat aisle while I'm in the store.

I find it more useful in its original context, ie. pointing out the hopeful weak point of something considered unkillable:

If Trump loses his latest court battle, or the latest Terminator sequel flops in theaters, "If it bleeds, we can kill it."  😈

"Walk this way...this way."

2b0db189a6a2f1e278feba288a658c96.jpg

9 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I use this line anytime someone says something is "not so bad"

..and when someone says anything with "bad" in it, like "my bad" my response is always "How bad? Bad, bad, bad, bad" which is a quote from ARIZONA WEREWOLF '96 spoken by Joe Estevez.

I use a lot of the same quotes as speedy, including:

when navigating: "Turn right here left" also "Turn right on Own-ee Way" (Barney Rubble navigating. Fred realizes "That's ONE WAY!")

and "mawwage" during a wedding.

Whenever a stranger says something we agree with, we'll chorus "One of us" and sometimes "We accept her" from FREAKS '32

In interviews, if asked stupid question, "How do you know what colors to paint?" I'll answer, "Blue, green, yellow & white" Myrna Loy's quote from MR BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE '48. In 20 years, only one reporter got it. 

Also, when asked how expensive something is my answer is often "No man can say" from Citizen Kane.

Ahhh . . . Too many to count!

"I'm shocked, shocked . . ." (Casablanca)

"With the rich and mighty, always a little patience." (The Philadelphia Story)

"It's not the years, honey.  It's the mileage." (Raiders of the Lost Ark)

"One thing's for sure.  We're all gonna be a lot thinner." (Star Wars)

"Why worry?  Each of us is wearing an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back." (Ghostbusters)

"Not true.  He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids." (The Thin Man)

"I suspect everybody and nobody." (Laura)

2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

"What hump?"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Love that gag, was also in the movie "The Private Eyes" (1980)

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I also love Clark’s rant about having the hap happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby danced with Danny f-ing Kaye! 

I do too.  And it's one I've used as well, but only for the hell of it.  ;)  And it's two "haps"  and "tapped danced"  with .........  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I do too.  And it's one I've used as well, but only for the hell of it.  ;)  And it's two "haps"  and "tapped danced"  with .........  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

Serves me right for not actually looking up the quote before posting it.  lol.

My favorite (for whatever reason) is the old Aunt asking: "Is Rusty still in the Navy?" I don't know why I find that so funny.

I also laugh when Juliette Lewis expresses how embarrassing her grandparents are and she says something about when a boy called, Grandpa (Fred? I can't remember his name) told the boy "that [she] was in the bathroom." 

11 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Serves me right for not actually looking up the quote before posting it.  lol.

My favorite (for whatever reason) is the old Aunt asking: "Is Rusty still in the Navy?" I don't know why I find that so funny.

I also laugh when Juliette Lewis expresses how embarrassing her grandparents are and she says something about when a boy called, Grandpa (Fred? I can't remember his name) told the boy "that [she] was in the bathroom." 

Well, THAT'S a quote( "she's in the bathroom") that I don't or ever have used from the movie.  But I have used the old man's (William Hickey as Grampa Lewis) line about..."You couldn't hear a DUMP TRUCK drive through a NITROGLYCERIN PLANT!"  in speaking to my hard of hearing brother in law.  :)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1