Sign in to follow this  
TheCid

Contest! Days Won

63 posts in this topic

I just noticed that each person's profile has an item for Days Won.  Apparently the computer totes up the number of likes a person gets each day and the one with the most likes is the Winner.  Or maybe it is the number of likes for a comment each day the person made.

• Like 2

Well, if there's no prize of any kind involved, why GIVE a ****?  Or, BOTHER with any such tally? 

Sepiatone

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I don't understand the need for such a tally. Supposedly I have over a 100 days won (105 to be exact). But there are others way with more and with way less.

What's unclear is how far back this tally goes. Someone like Swithin has been posting on the site for over ten years. Were they counting "wins" in his early days?

• Like 2

I think it was just a year or so after I joined here(2011) that they started with the "like" feature and other response emoticons.  So that might likely be when any "tally" could have been started.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I think it was just a year or so after I joined here(2011) that they started with the "like" feature and other response emoticons.  So that might likely be when any "tally" could have been started.

Sepiatone

Makes sense!

Hey, it looks like I won a few days.  To be fair, not that many were posting on those days.  That was the last time they had a tech upgrade this site and I was more or less just helping some people out with browser issues at the time.

I have a whopping one day won!  I want to think all the little people who made this HUGE victory possible.

Actually I think it is kind of silly for TCM to even have such a thing as won days.  Why do humans have to make a contest out of everything?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I have a whopping one day won!  I want to think all the little people who made this HUGE victory possible.

Actually I think it is kind of silly for TCM to even have such a thing as won days.  Why do humans have to make a contest out of everything?

I don't know. Different ways of collecting and analyzing data, I guess!

Blame it on statisticians.

31 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I don't know. Different ways of collecting and analyzing data, I guess!

Blame it on statisticians.

More like a stupid vanity thing that came with the forum, and nobody there lifted a finger to disable it.

You know I am getting warmer! http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, if there's no prize of any kind involved, why GIVE a ****?

Why not give a h o n k y?

Or was that not what you were giving?

• Haha 1

Apparently, I've won one day in the 13 years I've been posting here.

• Like 1

Apparently I've won 22 times. And I never win anything! I think the last time I won anything was when I was 10, I won a coloring contest.  Prior to that, I won a cake at the grocery store in a cake walk game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TheCid said:

I just noticed that each person's profile has an item for Days Won.  Apparently the computer totes up the number of likes a person gets each day and the one with the most likes is the Winner.  Or maybe it is the number of likes for a comment each day the person made.

The number represents the most number of content likes for a day. If you roll your mouse over the "days won" in your profile, that's the message that comes up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheCid said:

I realize what I'm about to say has nothing to do with the topic...but...how come everyone now says "humans" instead of "people"?  I've noticed this. It's silly. (sorry, Cid.)

• Haha 1

I am more concerned that the profile page with that information shows also that The Moderator looked at my information. I do not know if I had done a bad thing that day or if they were trying to remember which who I am. Neither is a good thing. I would hate to think that I had been unintentionally bad because being intentionally bad is so much more fun. I know that I have not been very active in this forum of late but I would feel deeply grieved if The Moderator had to think: "Who is that?" rather than: "What did she do this time?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I realize what I'm about to say has nothing to do with the topic...but...how come everyone now says "humans" instead of "people"?  I've noticed this. It's silly. (sorry, Cid.)

Actually I was thinking the human race vs. animals and everything else.

18 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I believe that the connotations are that 'humans' refers to us as biological entities and 'people' refers to us as social entities. "Humans are competitive" indicates a psychologically hard-wired trait while "people are greedy" indicates how we act within society.

Please understand that this analysis comes from someone who once believed that the English "people" meant those whom you do not know and the English "person" meant an individual whom you do know and the English "perple" meant those you know only a little. 

12 hours ago, SansFin said:

Please understand that this analysis comes from someone who once believed that the English "people" meant those whom you do not know and the English "person" meant an individual whom you do know and the English "perple" meant those you know only a little. 

???

I've never heard of the term "perple" for those only known a little.  "Person" is another word for "individual", whether you know them a little, a lot, or at all. You could see someone you've never met walking down the street, point to him(or her) and say, "Look at that person."  and not be speaking incorrectly.  

The only "perple" I know is spelled "PURPLE", and refers to a creature that eats PEOPLE!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

I really didn't want to look, because I figured it would really depress me if I'd never won a day. But apparently I've won two days in 11 years on these boards. Now I wonder what I ever posted on here that people actually responded to. Maybe they were both Christmas days, and I was the only one who posted something new ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/5/2019 at 10:11 AM, TheCid said:

The Days Won is based on the number of posts a person makes, not the number of likes or responses to the posts.

There are a few prolific posters on these boards (for better or worse) who post a lot each day with or without any "likes" or other response to their posts.

13 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

The Days Won is based on the number of posts a person makes, not the number of likes or responses to the posts.

There are a few prolific posters on these boards (for better or worse) who post a lot each day with or without any "likes" or other response to their posts.

The Days Won is based on the number of likes a person receives on his/her posts each day. In fact the person could be away that day not posting at all, and still "win" if their old posts are still getting likes. 

Typically the person with Most Reputation is earning the most Days Won.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 12.47.16 PM.png

The prolific posters have Most Content, which is a different classification.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 12.47.04 PM.png

• Thanks 1