Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

James Dean, who died in 1955, will return to the screen via CGI using actual footage and photos.

21 posts in this topic

There's another thread discussing The Irishman and the de-aging CGI used in both it and some of the Marvel movies, and somebody suggested what with this new process and the hologram concert performances that are occasionally happening, we might be seeing Bogart or Astaire in new movies. When I heard about Dean on the radio today, I wanted to post on that thread about it, but I see a new thread has been started already.

A Vietnam movie is so odd. I would understand a biopic about his life at least or a remake of Giant but some random war movie, really?

I heard it's based on the actual release of some 10,000 military dogs into the wild at the end of America's involvement in the war? Maybe the Dean estate, whomever that might be, is comprised of passionate animal rights activists?

59 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Chris Evans, Elijah Wood and More Criticize James Dean CGI Casting: "This Shouldn't Be a Thing"

Yeah, I think they realize CGI will put them out of work. :lol: Really, the same fate could befall them someday if they perish. Their likeness used without consent.

• Like 1

Hey guys, don't worry.  The part would have gone to one of those abundant Australian actors anyway using an American accent.

I have a lot of thoughts on the whole "resurrection via CGI" in the first place... 

In regards to "Star Wars," I personally thought the scenes with Moff Tarkin (Peter Cushing) looked creepy and weird. They should have just had his reflection in the glass, rather than have him turn completely around and start speaking. It freaked me out a little bit. I heard some rumors about wanting to resurrect Paul Walker for the next "Furious" movie; I don't know if that's an actual thing that's happening, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me. Personally, I feel like they need to just let the dead lie, out of respect, but what do I know?

I mean, people could really just do what they did in "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid," where they incorporated scenes from other movies so they could use long-gone stars like Alan Ladd and Joan Crawford. I thought that was an interesting idea. 

5 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, I think they realize CGI will put them out of work. :lol: Really, the same fate could befall them someday if they perish. Their likeness used without consent.

The CGI-generating computers are not card-carrying members.  Well, on second thought just give it some time.  With all the orchestrated dissonance out there right now, left to their own devices, who knows.

On topic though, this is sort of reminiscent of Louis and Bebe Barron, or Delia Derbyshire.  Though I wouldn't go anywhere near calling the current hired CGI staff "visionaries" or "pioneers" in their field.

come back 50yrs. from now and this method will probably be an everyday occurrence ...

Oh goody!

Does this mean in future movies we can now expect to see any and all hotel desk clerks and restaurant maître d's done by CGI images of Franklin Pangborn and Fritz Feld? 

(...nobody ever played hotel desk clerks and maître d's better than those two, ya know) 

;)

• Haha 1

Then would it be possible to technically erase Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady and "replace" her with the images of Julie Andrews from previous stock so that she does "star" in My Fair Lady!

1 hour ago, Im4movies2 said:

Then would it be possible to technically erase Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady and "replace" her with the images of Julie Andrews from previous stock so that she does "star" in My Fair Lady!

Yeah or even better, they could just erase every actor in every film and replace them all with Sheryl Lee.

LauraPalmerD28GC0.jpg

Heck, the first time I caught the following Ford Mustang commercial on TV back in 2005, I knew something like this James Dean resurrection on film would eventually happen...

(...in fact, I've been wondering what took 'em long for this to come about)

1 hour ago, Im4movies2 said:

Wish they dubbed back the songs she sung instead of the Marni Nixon voice over. :angry: