TopBilled

Performers who never get their own threads (nobody discusses them?)

67 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever discussed these ten classic movie actors and actresses?

1. Patric Knowles 
2. Wanda McKay
3. Dub Taylor
4. Robert Stack (I couldn't find any threads about him, and he had a long career.)
5. Andrea King
6. Jose Ferrer (Nobody discusses him...really?)
7. Rosemary Clooney
8. Dane Clark
9. Anna Neagle
10. Rod Cameron

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I think of Rosemary Clooney, I mostly think of her music. Of the people you mentioned, she would be my favorite. Now Jose Ferrer is a favorite of mine on TV.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're not discussed because posters are too busy discussing Box Office Grosses of 2019, Award Ceremonies of 2020 and problems with their cable companies.

 

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would add Ruth Gordon to that list too. I think she's great, but I never seem to really see her name on here ever. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I would add Ruth Gordon to that list too. I think she's great, but I never seem to really see her name on here ever. 

Yes. She's definitely another one. If TCM ever gave Ruth Gordon a day in August, there might be more discussion about her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roy Cronin said:

They're not discussed because posters are too busy discussing Box Office Grosses of 2019, Award Ceremonies of 2020 and problems with their cable companies.

 

My cable provider is a mess. In addition to moving TCM, they (Comcast) changed their cloud DVR. I use to have 150 hours. Now my $10/month is only good for 60 hours. If I didn't pay for DVR it would be just 20 hours.

Robin Williams too. People are also busy talking about who owns what movies and why TCM doesn't play them. I would like to see Popeye again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

When I think of Rosemary Clooney, I mostly think of her music. Of the people you mentioned, she would be my favorite. Now Jose Ferrer is a favorite of mine on TV.

Jose Ferrer had a recurring role on Newhart as the stuffy father of snobbish maid Stephanie (Julia Duffy). He was great fun to watch on that program.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

Jose Ferrer played a bad dude on Matlock. Three episodes. He was also in an episode of Murder, She Wrote.

I was never into Matlock

In one of the funniest episodes of Newhart, we have Lyle Talbot playing Jose Ferrer's cousin. Talbot is supposed to be turning 100, and he keels over in the middle of the episode when he is blowing out the candles on his birthday cake. During the funeral the greedy Vanderkellens are pouring it on thick as mourners, when they are more anxious to find out how much they've inherited.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0659958/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roy Cronin said:

They're not discussed because posters are too busy discussing Box Office Grosses of 2019, Award Ceremonies of 2020 and problems with their cable companies.

 

None of their fans has started a "Why doesn't someone start a thread about "so and so". She was a great actress and she should be mentioned !"

1 hour ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I would add Ruth Gordon to that list too. I think she's great, but I never seem to really see her name on here ever. 

I just saw her on Columbo this past weekend. She seemed to be a significant part of my childhood. She must have worked a lot during the 70's

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

Remember the final Newhart episode?

Hint:

MV5BZDYyMzk1YzYtNGU4Ny00OWU3LTljMGEtYWMw

Loved it. Great way to cap the series.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

None of their fans has started a "Why doesn't someone start a thread about "so and so". She was a great actress and she should be mentioned !"

I just saw her on Columbo this past weekend. She seemed to be a significant part of my childhood. She must have worked a lot during the 70's

This was the one where she locks her nephew (in law) in the safe?  That's one of the best Columbo's made, I think!  Ruth was just fantastic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have mentioned Patric Knowles since he was under contract with Warners and was in some major films (E.g. Robin Hood),  for the studio, often with Flynn and DeHavlland (E.g.  It's Love I'm After,  Charge of The Light Brigade, The Sisters,  Four's A Crowd).   After his WB days he was "all over the place",  and in some films that have been discussed at this forum like After the Thin Man,  How Green was my Valley, The Wolf Man,  Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, and The Big Steel.

Robert Stack:  He gets mentioned from time to time associated with Lombard's last film To Be or Not to Be,  and if course the very melodramatic Written on the Wind.

 Jose Ferrer -  An actor that deserves more attention.   He does come up with The Caine Mutiny 


 Dane Clark - another WB contract players and thus TCM shows these films.   But they also featured the Euro films he did later in his career and these were discussed at this form.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cameron Mitchell doesn't seem to get mentioned a whole lot. He was the good guy that Doris Day SHOULD have married in LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME.

 

(SPOILERS AHEAD) Although to be fair she did realize that in the end and left Marty (James Cagney) to get together with Mitchell.

 

He was also Marius in the 1952 version of LES MISERABLES. Though I prefer the 1935 version by a long shot, I think Mitchell actually did quite well in the role.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

George Raft, maybe? Most of his Paramount gangster films are rarely seen.

I'm a huge-huge George Raft fan. It annoys me when people focus only on his WB stuff (probably since it airs on TCM and it's usually only what people know about him)...because he made so many fantastic films at Paramount, then as a freelancer at RKO. 

d34d8-screen2bshot2b2016-08-182bat2b5-23-042bpm.png

He was gold with Joan Bennett. They did several very different films together, covering a variety of genres at different studios. I love SHE COULDN'T TAKE IT (1935) a screwball comedy from Columbia, when she was still a blonde.

4a72e-screen2bshot2b2016-08-182bat2b5-19-422bpm.png

Then there's THE HOUSE ACROSS THE BAY (1940) a UA release that has them in a gangster yarn. And they're wonderful together in NOB HILL (1945) a charming period romance in Technicolor from 20th Century Fox.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 5.44.37 PM.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never saw any of George Raft's films at Paramount, and while he's not the acting legend that Cagney, Tracy, Fonda, Bogey, etc. were, I always enjoyed watching him on screen.

 

Are any of his stuff from Paramount out on DVD or Blu-Ray?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I never saw any of George Raft's films at Paramount, and while he's not the acting legend that Cagney, Tracy, Fonda, Bogey, etc. were, I always enjoyed watching him on screen.

 

Are any of his stuff from Paramount out on DVD or Blu-Ray?

NIGHT AFTER NIGHT (1934) is on disc...so is YOU AND ME (1938). 

Probably his best Paramount film is SOULS AT SEA (1937) in which he shares lead billing with Gary Cooper. That one has aired on TCM but surprisingly is not yet on home video.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TopBilled said:

NIGHT AFTER NIGHT (1934) is on disc...so is YOU AND ME (1938). 

Probably his best Paramount film is SOULS AT SEA (1937) in which he shares lead billing with Gary Cooper. That one has aired on TCM but surprisingly is not yet on home video.

Souls at Sea is on DVD, just only in set form. The TCM Vault Universal Rarities collection.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Souls at Sea is on DVD, just only in set form. The TCM Vault Universal Rarities collection.

Thanks. That means it was probably released around the time TCM aired it, which may be why they aired it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And of course, Jose Ferrer's son was the great Miguel Ferrer, one of the best actors in television. Albert Rosenfield was a great character.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I have mentioned Patric Knowles since he was under contract with Warners and was in some major films (E.g. Robin Hood),  for the studio, often with Flynn and DeHavlland (E.g.  It's Love I'm After,  Charge of The Light Brigade, The Sisters,  Four's A Crowd).   After his WB days he was "all over the place",  and in some films that have been discussed at this forum like After the Thin Man,  How Green was my Valley, The Wolf Man,  Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, and The Big Steel.

Robert Stack:  He gets mentioned from time to time associated with Lombard's last film To Be or Not to Be,  and if course the very melodramatic Written on the Wind.

 Jose Ferrer -  An actor that deserves more attention.   He does come up with The Caine Mutiny 

 Dane Clark - another WB contract players and thus TCM shows these films.   But they also featured the Euro films he did later in his career and these were discussed at this form.

I am glad Dane Clark's films are shown (he's great in A STOLEN LIFE and WHIPLASH) but I wasn't sure if people actually discussed his work on these forums.

Stack is sometimes mentioned in reference to the Untouchables TV series he did.

Thanks for going over some of Knowles' credits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I am glad Dane Clark's films are shown (he's great in A STOLEN LIFE and WHIPLASH) but I wasn't sure if people actually discussed his work on these forums.

Stack is sometimes mentioned in reference to the Untouchables TV series he did.

Thanks for going over some of Knowles' credits.

TCM showed many of Clark's early 50s British films and the one French one, Gunman in the Street with Simone Signoret.  This was a very interesting and fairly unique period for an American actor;  going overseas and leading "B" picture type noir\crime films.    The fusion of American crime films,  with a very America actor,  with the European settings and "vibes" is worth seeing.    I wasn't aware of these films until TCM featured them and they were discussed at this forum (I believe this was around 5 years ago).      It made me appreciate the talents of Clark more so than I did (until then I kind of viewed him as just a very secondary male WB star given all the other male stars WB had under contract at the time; Cagney,  Flynn, Bogie, Garfield,,,).      

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

TCM showed many of Clark's early 50s British films and the one French one, Gunman in the Street with Simone Signoret.  This was a very interesting and fairly unique period for an American actor;  going overseas and leading "B" picture type noir\crime films.    The fusion of American crime films,  with a very America actor,  with the European settings and "vibes" is worth seeing.    I wasn't aware of these films until TCM featured them and they were discussed at this forum (I believe this was around 5 years ago).      It made me appreciate the talents of Clark more so than I did (until then I kind of viewed him as just a very secondary male WB star given all the other male stars WB had under contract at the time; Cagney,  Flynn, Bogie, Garfield,,,).      

Right. And that's kind of my 'point' with this thread. TCM sort of conditions viewers to focus on the household names. So then there are these other performers with long careers who get short shrift.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us