Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Best Judy Garland musical on her SUTS day?

12 posts in this topic

So, does anyone have a favorite musical of the ones on the schedule for Judy Garland's day in Summer Under the Stars?

I am a big fan of The Pirate and I like Summer Stock a lot even if it isn't a really great musical.

Coming up in forty-five minutes, *Little Nellie Kelly* , with Judy at her most adorable. And of course, *MMISL* . Most missed? *Babes on Broadway* . My favorite of the Judy-Mickey-Busby movies, but sadly doesn't get played anymore. Once a couple of years ago when it was released on DVD.

*And they join in the chorus of Nellie Kelly, I love you...*

Well, I do anyway. Love it more each time I see it. Thanks, TCM!

Message was edited by: patful, to say thanks

Message was edited by: patful, can't believe I misspelled Nellie

No, my DVD collection stands at zero. I'm a retailer's nightmare, only buying absolute necessities. I depend solely on TCM for my viewing. That's why you'll never hear me complain about repeats. If and when I lose TCM, I'll be up a creek, I guess.

Well, now that I think about it, I guess I also like Meet Me in St. Louis, just not quite as much as The Pirate.

You're lucky you don't have a large DVD collection, patful, those take up too much space, imho.

I adore "The Pirate" even though not everyone will agree with me. I love it for several reasons. Minnelli attempted so much with this film It's dazzling to look at and the performances are incredible. Judy at her sophisticated best!!

I don't but I'm saving up .I want to have an extensive dvd collection, and Judy Garland is the best, and I love all her films. Definitely getting that.

Judy Garland was a dynamo and sad to say I've always felt that her employers were responsible for her demise. When she walked off of the MGM set, there should be no reason in this world why other studios were banging on her door in order to contract her.

Notice when Joan Crawford was dumped by MGM she ended up not only contracted by Warner Brothers studio but also winning an Oscar for her first movie there "Mildred Pierce".

It seems obvious that her past employer made sure that no other studio was going to have her if they couldn't have her and they actually had the mentality that they owned her.

It must have taken great courage to realize this and to say to yourself "I'll have to sing for my supper". Because basically that's what Ms Garland did in order to make a living for herself and to provide for her family.

Why did MGM keep her ex-husband Vincent Minnelli contracted and let her go? and why didn't Mr. Minnelli fight for her? True, they had separated but my understanding was that she had caught her husband in bed with another man and blaming no other person but herself she tried to commit suicide with the glass from her bathroom. She died at the young age of 49 and had nothing more to give us. She ran out of rainbows or sang out too many of them. God bless Judy Garland, what a fighter, what a woman, what a loving mother, what an entertainer. She will never be equaled anywhere.

tampafan,

I think you're absolutely right that in the end, Judy really didn't get the best treatment at MGM, for whatever reason, and it's a shame because one wonders what her career would have been like under slightly different circumstances. For all the good things the studio system had, and all the great movies it gave us, it also took far too great a toll on some performers, probably none more than Judy.