Sign in to follow this  
scsu1975

THEY SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN

19 posts in this topic

I suppose film historians can sort through this mess to determine what actually happened. As far as I can tell, some imbeciles took a 1950s semi-entertaining piece of trash called The Madmen of Mandoras, then added about 20 minutes of footage from either the late 60s or early 70s, which was *total* trash. The result is a high body count, no continuity, night turning into day and vice-versa, a lot of bad acting, and Hitler's head in a jar.

The film opens with a scientist being followed by the Blues Brothers. His car explodes, so the boss at CID Headquarters assigns his top agent, Vic, to investigate. This is part of the CID's new policy: "Walk softly and carry a big Vic." I don't know what CID stands for, but the "I" definitely does not stand for intelligence. Vic is an idiot, and so is his new partner, played by a chick who looks bad in a miniskirt (this is the new footage, if you haven't guessed). In short order, the boss, Vic, and the chick buy the farm, leaving only the Blues Brothers. Then the 1950s movie starts, with film of an elephant collapsing from the effects of "G-gas." Must be the peanuts. Another scientist is kidnapped, so the entire (original) cast moves to Mandoras. At this point, I got lost trying to figure out who was who and who was a Nazi and who was not. I'm pretty sure this Hitler dude was not a nice guy, although at times, he rolled his eyes like Jerry Colonna. Hitler has a line of dialogue, so his vocal cords are still intact.

There are a few familiar faces in the cast (the old footage, not the new footage). Nestor Paiva shows up as a Police Chief who may or may not be on the level. Carlos Rivas plays a dual role, and seems to mysteriously appear from nowhere in almost every scene. John Holland, best known for playing Alice Kramden's boss on one episode of "The Honeymooners," appears as the scientist ... that is, the scientist in the old footage. The guy playing the scientist in the new footage is a nobody, along with the boss, Vic, and the chick.

This film had me on the edge of my seat ... my toilet seat, that is.

Carlos Rivas has an attack of gastritis.

untitled4-17.jpg

Dennis Farina, without his platform shoes.

untitled12-2.jpg

Carlos Rivas has another attack of gastritis. The other actors are not thrilled.

untitled2-15.jpg

Carmen Miranda stars in I was a Mambo Dancer for the Third Reich.

untitled5-17.jpg

Totie Fields waits to make a phone call, unaware that Carlos Rivas has been
put on hold - forever.

untitled3-14.jpg

Is it just me, or are there only two people in this bar who realize there is a
dead guy on the floor?

untitled6-17.jpg

This is what happens when the set painters are dyslexic.

untitled8-10.jpg

Adolf goes trick-or-treating.

untitled9-9.jpg

Adolf's meat gets tenderized.

untitled11-3.jpg

The producer's reaction when the three screenwriters pitch the idea for this film.

untitled7-8.jpg

I was trying to figure out what Meathead and Gloria ("Vic" and "Toni") were doing from what appeared to be the early 1970's in that amateurish, atrocious added footage. The original movie was like a really bad OUTER LIMITS episode. I also couldn't understand what the heck was going on at any given moment. The shots of the pickled Hitler were actually kind of creepy, heaven help me. It brought to mind Lon Chaney, Jr.'s smirks as the monster in THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN. I did recognize Alice's boss, lol. It's a good thing Adolph's head wasn't introduced to Virginia Leith's from THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE. She was power-hungry too.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Dec 22, 2009 5:27 AM

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}
> I did recognize Alice's boss, lol.

Ah yes, Mr. Amico. What this film needed was Ralph Kramden inventing some money-making scheme - selling pickled Hermann Goering, for instance.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}
> By the by...was it pickled??

No, but German Herring was ... or was that Herman Goering?