Sign in to follow this  
JackFavell

Our Favorite Brunettes

1,846 posts in this topic

I was trying to find a place to post some photos of my favorite underrated brunette, *Ruth Hussey*, but couldn't decide where it would be appropriate to do so. Blondes and Redheads have had their day here at TCM City, so I think it's time for Our Favorite Brunettes (thank you, MissGoddess for the title). Please feel free to post your thoughts on and photos of your favorite dark beauties.......the vixens or those smart gals that a man takes home after he has come to his senses. :)

(click to enlarge)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Alright, Jackieeeee! :D

Those are some of the most gorgeous pictures of Ruth Hussey I've ever seen---I never

realized how lovely her eyes were....and just look how adorable she is in that one pictures

where she seems to be about sixteen years old...

I love that youthful photo of her - there are so few where she is really smiling and I think she is so charming when she does so. She reminds me a bit of Maureen O'Sullivan in that photo.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I love that youthful photo of her - there are so few where she is really smiling and I think she is so charming when she does so. She reminds me a bit of Maureen O'Sullivan in that photo.

That's true! Maybe it's those sweet little dark curls..

Here's a "Ruth like" picture of Maureen...

(click to enlarge)

Photobucket

Oh, she is breathtakingly young... I love Maureen. She is so good, whether she is playing a silly waif like Dora Spenlow or Henrietta Barrett, or a modern girl like Pauline in Hide-Out or Jane in the Tarzan movies.

> Oh, she is breathtakingly young... I love Maureen. She is so good, whether she is playing a silly waif like Dora Spenlow or Henrietta Barrett, or a modern girl like Pauline in Hide-Out or Jane in the Tarzan movies.

She's a favorite of mine, too, for all the movies you name, and the original Thin Man and

A Yank at Oxford (though I admit another saucy little brunette minx stole that

one from Maureen ;) And no, I don't mean Robert Taylor! :D ).

Here's a nice color picture of Miss Hussey:

ruthhussey-color.jpg

I love that color picture, MissG! She looks so friendly. My mom had eyes like that, very straight on the bottom of the eye, with crinkly corners. Very comforting and warm.

...the vixens or those smart gals that a man takes home after he has come to his senses. :-)

Nicely said. I can't post any pix (and too embarassed to ask for the umpteenth time). To paraphrase what Bob Cummings said on his tv show:

I think I'm going to like this thread.

> I love that color picture, MissG! She looks so friendly. My mom had eyes like that, very straight on the bottom of the eye, with crinkly corners. Very comforting and warm.

Your way with descriptions is so spot on! "Comforting and warm" is very true of Ruth. I just

remembered another movie I saw her in, one of her last ones I believe: The Facts of Life.

She plays Bob Hope's wife.

I found this MovieMorlock's article on the actress:

http://moviemorlocks.com/2006/10/30/remembering-ruth-hussey/

>Would I be allowed to make brunette requests from you?

Absolutely.

(click to enlarge):

Photobucket

(Click to enlarge):

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Message was edited by: JackFavell

That bottom picture of Margaret Lindsay is adorable. In some pictures she reminds me

a little of Fay Wray.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> That bottom picture of Margaret Lindsay is adorable. In some pictures she reminds me

> a little of Fay Wray.

I love that one, I have to admit it's my favorite....

I'll have to go look up Fay Wray . I can't really remember a distinct appearance for her.

>

> I'll have to go look up Fay Wray . I can't really remember a distinct appearance for her.

Here's Fay as a brunette...

faywray2.jpg

> {quote:title=cinemafan wrote:}{quote}

> JackF - for a minute there, I thought you were trying to find a way to get more Ben pics posted.

Don't think I didn't think about it.... :D