Sign in to follow this  
JackFavell

Our Favorite Brunettes

1,846 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=ken12 wrote:}{quote}

> My picks are Joan Bennett,Linda Darnell, Merle Oberon.

I know I have a couple of Joanie, and Linda.... give me a day to go find them. I'll see what I can come up with for Merle... and if anyone else has any photos, feel free to post them.

> {quote:title=ken12 wrote:}{quote}

> My picks are Joan Bennett,Linda Darnell, Merle Oberon.

So we finally found the right bait to get you to post, Kenny. :P

Here's your reward (if you don't mind, Jackie!):

(click on thumbnails to enlarge the pictures)

Joan Bennett

Photobucket

Photobucket

Woman in the Window

Scarlet Street LARGE

Woman on the Beach

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Linda Darnell

Photobucket

Hangover Square

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

LD17.jpg

LD18.jpg

lindadarnell6.jpg

Merle Oberon (I didn't know you were a fan, too! I love her.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Merle Oberon

Whew! That takes a load off of my shoulders! Thanks MissG! Those are beautiful!

I'll see if I can fill in a bit around the edges tomorrow.

Message was edited by: JackFavell

More Merle Oberon photos:

(click to enlarge):

Photobucket

(Click to enlarge):

Photobucket

(click to enlarge):

Photobucket

(click to enlarge):

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

*Gorgeous* pictures of Merle, Jackie! I just had to save them I hope you don't mind!

I need more pictures of Merle for my collection, I have too few. In fact, I eventually

want to try and get as many of her movies as possible.

merci merci

Oh my gosh, you can keep any of them, of course!

I was very disappointed that I couldn't find any really big (or small for that matter) photos of her from *The Scarlet Pimpernel*.... She is just about as gorgeous in that as any woman could possibly be.... especially when she is having her portrait painted and her head is turned to the side.... I believe it is the opening shot of that scene.....

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Oh my gosh, you can keep any of them, of course!

>

> I was very disappointed that I couldn't find any really big (or small for that matter) photos of her from *The Scarlet Pimpernel*.... She is just about as gorgeous in that as any woman could possibly be.... especially when she is having her portrait painted and her head is turned to the side.... I believe it is the opening shot of that scene.....

I agree. I think TSP may be Merle at her most ravishing. These two

images are from that movie:

(click to enlarge)

Photobucket

Photobucket

As stunning as she is in Technicolor, I love her in black-and-white pictures because

I believe it captures the mystery of her face better, and that mystery is part of her

romantic allure.

Oh, I completely agree... Black and white suits her.... I never thought of it, but the reality of color is almost too harsh for her features. What stunned me were the "mask" pictures, she looks like some ancient figurine....

Jackaaaaaaaay, Ms. G. those were stunning pictures you posted of Maureen, Vivien, Darnell, Joan and Merle. (I saw Merle Oberon arrive at a movie premiere many many years ago.) She was already in her 60's and looked utterly fantastic. I cahn't remember the movie premiering but Celeste Holm was at that event as well. I think Merle had the most different, if I may say most "exotic" look of any actress in Hollywood.

The photos are beautiful. Is it my imagination...or don't actresses these days look as jaw droppingly stunning as they used to look??

Thank you both for posting them.

I love your attention to detail re: actors' looks and how it informs their performance. This is why I'm looking forward to our next ramble. I'll keep you posted on that score. Thanxx so much for the brunettes. Will you keep 'em coming? Please.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Jackaaaaaaaay, Ms. G. those were stunning pictures you posted of Maureen, Vivien, Darnell, Joan and Merle. (I saw Merle Oberon arrive at a movie premiere many many years ago.) She was already in her 60's and looked utterly fantastic. I cahn't remember the movie premiering but Celeste Holm was at that event as well. I think Merle had the most different, if I may say most "exotic" look of any actress in Hollywood.

>

> The photos are beautiful. Is it my imagination...or don't actresses these days look as jaw droppingly stunning as they used to look??

What I am amazed at is the fact that when you blow up a photo of Linda Darnell, or Merle Oberon, they are flawless - now I know that they touched up photographs and all, but really - you couldn't touch up a picture of me enough to make me look that good! Look at Linda in that big shot with the hair piled on her head. Look at it BIG. Her face is perfect even when giant sized, like on a big screen.

I can't remember who it was, but I think it was either a lighting guy or a grip or a cameraman that I saw interviewed once. They asked him who was the most beautiful star he ever worked with, and he said that it was Linda Darnell - he said that she had the most perfect, symmetrical face ever, and that she looked just as good in real life.

I had a close encounter with Merle. Hubby and I found ourselves in LA's garment district one Saturday afternoon (I have no idea how we ended up there except we used to like to explore downtown LA). Anyway, we're standing on a street corner and across the street waiting for the same green light as we were, was this couple - a very attractive small brunette girl (!) and a very attractive tall blonde man.

Light turns green and we meet in the intersection (we were the only four people around) and who should look up and smile very sweetly at me but Merle Oberon. I shouldn't use this cliche but you could have knocked me over with a feather. The man was Rob Wolders who later became Audrey Hepburn's friend.

I hope we're not just speaking of "beautiful" brunettes here because I'd like to vote for Ruth Hussey as one of my favorites. She was certainly pretty enough but what made her so appealing was her on-screen persona. Loved her.

Poinciana,

That's a great story - you're so very lucky to have seen her in person! I would have given anything to have been in your shoes that Saturday afternoon. ;)

Oh and I think the thread started with some photos of Ruth Hussey. :D

I have to weigh in upon viewing pics of two of my favorite brunettes: Linda and Merle. I totally agree with you jackfavell, Linda and Merle are flawless and exquisite (and Hedy too!!).

Other Brunettes that make it an extra-good day for me upon any sighting of their beauty: Jane Russell, Ida Lupino, Gene Tierney, Yvonne DeCarlo, Jennifer Jones, Vera Ralston, Kay Francis, Ella Raines, Patricia Medina, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Loretta Young, many others...

Hooray for classic film brunettes who make any day brighter.

A million thanks Jack for those pictures of lovely Ruth! I made the stupid assumption that this Thread was only going to be abt the brunetticas sirenicas of the movies. And thanks Holly for pointing me in the right direction.

I loved that story of your encounter with Merle, Poinciana! How wonderful to have met

such a lovely classic star up close like that.

It's interesting that some have described Merle's beauty as "flawless" and it certainly

appears to be...which is something of a minor miracle. Just as she was reaching

the height of stardom she developed a skin condition that left severe scars on her

face (mostly her cheeks) and it was only with the most careful lighting that cinematographers,

like her one-time husband Lucien Ballard, could conceal them. You'd never know.

*Poinciana* -

Wow! Your story of meeting Merle Oberon on the street blew me away! My chin would have hit the ground.... Incredible. Stars walk down the street, just like you or me. Who knew they didn't float

from here to there on a cloud of fairy dust.... like in my imagination. :)

*Randyishere* -

I have compiled a few miscellaneous photos while looking for some favorites over the last couple of days. I will post a little grab bag of photos right now, rather than waiting to do one star's profile at a time. It's always nice to mix it up once in a while.

(click to enlarge)

Photobucket

Claudette Colbert

Photobucket

Vivien Leigh and Conrad Veidt from Dark Journey

Photobucket

Ava Gardner

Photobucket

Lois Collier

Photobucket

Lois Collier

Photobucket

Gloria Swanson

Photobucket

Hedy Lamarr

Photobucket

Jane Russell

Photobucket

Natalie Wood

Photobucket

Katherine Hepburn

Photobucket

Ava Gardner

Photobucket

Ava Gardner

Photobucket

Jane Russell

gorgeous, just gorgeous, Jackie. I've always been partial to the beauty of brunettes and

wished I could carry that look off. I've been a brunette many times in the past (usually

after watching an Elizabeth Taylor movie) but I doubt I ever will do so again, more's the

pity. ALL my top 5 favorite "screen beauties" are brunettes except for Marilyn.

My Favorite Brunettes (based on appearance only):

1. Ava Gardner

2. Vivien Leigh

3. Gene Tierney

4. Myrna Loy

5. Elizabeth Taylor

6. Hedy Lamarr

7. Merle Oberon

8. Ella Raines

9. Linda Darnell

10. Maureen O'Sullivan

11. Claudia Cardinalli

12. Natalie Wood

13. Capucine

14. Yvonne de Carlo

15. Sophia Loren

Runners up: Joan Bennett, Margaret Lockwood, Kathryn Grayson, Pamela Tiffin, Anouk Aimee,

Gina Lolabrigida, Audrey Hepburn

Oh I think blond suits you. Gentlemen prefer Blondes, Blondes have more fun...etc. I keep trying to tell my daughter that... she is the same way.... always wishing she were brunette! It makes me realize that we all are crazy! I'd love to be blonde! And my daughter can wear any color at all... I am especially jealous because I love grey, but can't wear it, and she looks great in it, but won't.

I have to think about my list, but I think the top 5 will be very similar to yours. Is Ingrid Bergman a brunette? FrankGrimes called her a blonde the other day and completely confused me. I like quirky better than pretty. I think mine would go like this:

Ingrid Bergman

Vivien Leigh

Gene Tierney

Jeanne Crain

Myrna Loy

Ruth Hussey

Maureen OSullivan

Marie Prevost

Marie Doro

Jennifer Jones

Claudia Cardinale

Capucine

Linda Darnell

Hedy Lamarr

Ava Gardner

Claudette Colbert

Katy Jurado

Olivia DeHavilland

Maureen O'Hara

I think this is it, but I probably forgot someone really big.

Randyishere wrote: Other Brunettes that make it an extra-good day for me upon any sighting of their beauty: Jane Russell, Ida Lupino, Gene Tierney, Yvonne DeCarlo, Jennifer Jones, Vera Ralston, Kay Francis, Ella Raines, Patricia Medina, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Loretta Young, many others...

WoW!! You?ve listed several of my faves on your list esp. Ella Raines and Yvonne DeCarlo and Jennifer Jones and...and...aw heck, your whole list, Randy.

I don't know if I missed it...but I didn't see SUZANNE PLESHETTE's name mentioned. She was a fabulous brunette with a smoky voice like no other.