Sign in to follow this  
JackFavell

Our Favorite Brunettes

1,846 posts in this topic

Thanks for Suzanne! Not only was she incredible to look at, she could really act. The very first non-musical show I saw on Broadway, was with her, and she was just mesmerizing in it.

An incredible performance in an incredible show. I remember going to see the movie, and wishing that Pleshette was in it. Of course, Anne Bancroft is superb, so there was nothing to fear. The first professional musical I saw, was the London production of *My Fair Lady*, with Julie Andrews and Alec Clunes. Between that show and The Miracle Worker, they pretty much ruined everything else I ever saw, on stage. Almost nothing could live up to those two. I'm thrilled that I saw them, though. Two live events!

That's an amazing way to begin, but I guess it would sort of dull the impact of anything else afterwards. :)

I am trying to remember my first professional productions. I saw *You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown* on a trip to NYC as a kid. It starred Reva Rose and Skip and Bill Hinnant. My sister ran into Bill Hinnant at a party years later and told me about it. She had almost cried seeing him, and told him what an impression he made on us as Snoopy in that show. He was genuinely flattered and pleased that we remembered him so fondly. We also saw *Fiddler on the Roof*, which bored me to tears. I don't remember who was in it, I am pretty sure it was Topol. I kept the program for years and later found out that Adrienne Barbeau had played Tzeitel. She had played Hodel in the original production, so she was moving up the ladder by that time.

After moving to Chicago, I saw *1776*, which was smashing, and *Sleuth* with Anthony Quayle and Keith Baxter. It was a bit over my head but tremendously exciting. None of these was as brilliant as The Miracle Worker or My Fair Lady, of course, but it was a good way to start off.

Message was edited by: JackFavell for indentation

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Oh I think blond suits you. Gentlemen prefer Blondes, Blondes have more fun...etc. I keep trying to tell my daughter that... she is the same way.... always wishing she were brunette! It makes me realize that we all are crazy! I'd love to be blonde! And my daughter can wear any color at all... I am especially jealous because I love grey, but can't wear it, and she looks great in it, but won't.

>

Oh I'm sure you're stunning---brunette's almost have to be more beautiful because

all the focus is on their face, the dark hair making a beautiful frame for it.

So many actresses today are blonde and I think they are just b-l-a-n-d. I'm glad

Catherine Zeta Jones at least has stayed true to her color. So many brunettes dye

their hair in Hollywood and I can't understand it.

> I have to think about my list, but I think the top 5 will be very similar to yours. Is Ingrid Bergman a brunette? FrankGrimes called her a blonde the other day and completely confused me. I like quirky better than pretty. I think mine would go like this:

>

Except for Saratoga Trunk and Arch of Triumph, she seemed to always be a medium

to dark blonde. And I think she was most beautiful in those two movies!

Marvelous list!

> Marie Prevost

> Marie Doro

> Jennifer Jones

I should have added Jennifer, I knew I'd forget someone. I'll have to "Google" the

other two. Marie Prevost sounds familiar but I can't place her.

I would also include Debra Paget to my own list. I just saw her in Les Misrables and

had forgotten how lovely she really was.

By the way, this is the first time I have seen this version---it was pretty good! I missed

the Frederic March one when it aired.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

>

>

>

>

> So many actresses today are blonde and I think they are just b-l-a-n-d. I'm glad

> Catherine Zeta Jones at least has stayed true to her color. So many brunettes dye

> their hair in Hollywood and I can't understand it.

>

Catherine Zeta Jones is easily the most beautiful women in films, today. I don't get the obsession with blondes.

I am really unhappy that I missed this one. Alice won a fish at the fair today and we were frantically running around trying to figure out how to take care of him - what to put him in, how to get the water de-chlorinated, etc. Luckily, we have friends down the street who have fish, so they had all the stuff that we needed. I really wasn't expecting a new pet today...

The Fredric March one is on sometime in the next couple days, in the morning I think. I just saw it on the schedule.

Debra is really pretty... I forget some of the fifties gals. I have some pics of Marie Prevost. She was just adorable, so soft looking and gorgeous. If I had lived in the 20's, I would want to look like her. And Marie Doro is what I would want to look like if I had lived in the Edwardian era.

Marie Doro

Photobucket

Photobucket

Marie Prevost

Photobucket

Photobucket

MissG, I will try to find some pics of Debra Paget .Maybe I can get them tomorrow.

Johnm,

I will also try to find some Catherine Zeta Jones photos. I think she is a classically beautiful actress, who probably would have had a huge career in old Hollywood, but the studios don't really seem to know what to do with her now.

> I am really unhappy that I missed this one. Alice won a fish at the fair today and we were frantically running around trying to figure out how to take care of him - what to put him in, how to get the water de-chlorinated, etc. Luckily, we have friends down the street who have fish, so they had all the stuff that we needed. I really wasn't expecting a new pet today...

>

How cute! Does your little girl have any other pets or is this her first one?

> The Fredric March one is on sometime in the next couple days, in the morning I think. I just saw it on the schedule.

>

Thanks for the tip, I may try to record it. I think it's also about time I read the novel. I'm

ashamed to say I never has. I've always been afraid it would depress me too much.

Those pictures are lovely! I think Maria Doro is GORGEOUS! What has she been in?

I've never seen her before.

> MissG, I will try to find some pics of Debra Paget .Maybe I can get them tomorrow.

>

Thank you, Miss Favell.

And I agree, old Hollywood would have really put Catherine to work.

Hello there my little OK Kid....

I don't have any new names to add to your list... I think you folks are doing a GREAT job listing everybody. And BOY I am loving the pics in here (as much for the FASHIONS in some of them as anything... WOW.

I was glad to see Claudette Colbert.. I thought of her the other day when I first started seeing some of the other folks listed.

And I also liked the mom picture that was posted...

If I could find the one of my own mom I am thinking of, I would post it TOO.. She looked like a teenage Judy Garland when she was a kid... VERY similar.

She has alway had dark (almost black) hair compared to my own "boring brown" ha... that is what I have always called it.. I was a blonde baby.. but I got the "mousy" end of her hair color as a kid and it has stuck w/ me ever since... boo hoo.

And would you believe... I am almost 46 years old.. and 20 years younger than she is.... but she is STILL way more of dark brunette than I am.. I have WAY more gray than she does. I mean.. she doesn't even hardly have anything more than an occassional sparkling silver thread here and there... (and I just have more and more gray showing up all the time)... go figure... Ha.

Thanks for starting this thread.. It is fun to check in and see all the lovely pics. Nice work, folks.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> How cute! Does your little girl have any other pets or is this her first one?

Oh yes, we have a dog and a hamster already. Now she wants a bunny, but our poor little house can barely handle what we've already got!

> > The Fredric March one is on sometime in the next couple days, in the morning I think. I just saw it on the schedule.

> Thanks for the tip, I may try to record it. I think it's also about time I read the novel. I'm

> ashamed to say I never has. I've always been afraid it would depress me too much.

I read it years ago, and it was very good, but you are right, it is depressing. It was one of the better classics that I read. I am still upset that I missed Michael Rennie and Robert Newton, who is one of my favorites. But we had to get that goldfish out of his little plastic bag! By the time that was done, hubby had control of the TV.....

> Those pictures are lovely! I think Maria Doro is GORGEOUS! What has she been in?

> I've never seen her before.

Her big claim to fame was playing Oliver Twist with her hair cut short. She started on the stage. I have actually never seen a movie of hers (she was popular in the teens), but I came across the second photo of her when I was a kid, and I thought she was stunning. It is still one of my favorite photos of any actress, ever. Someday, I would love to actually get one of her movies, which are either rare, or lost.

Hey, there, sister woman! How's it going? I was a blond baby too.

My mom had a really pretty shade of brown, light but not too light, and looked a whole lot like the teenage Shirley Temple. I know, I was wishing I had a large picture of her to post, because the resemblance is rather striking. She never enjoyed looking like Shirley, though. Maybe she felt that Shirley was too babyish or young, and she wanted to project a more grown up image. I'm not sure. But I still think she was beautiful. She had 4 sisters, and I think she was the prettiest. :)

I have boring brown hair, pretty much a perfect light to medium brown. As I age, I find that my skin tone, which is fair and quite pink, is not always a good match for my lightish hair color. Sometimes I feel sort of like a little brown sparrow, the kind of bird that is overlooked. My look is a little too soft for my liking.... I want a little more contrast than I have.

If you have any requests, please let me know. I also wanted to say that anyone should feel free to post photos as well.... in fact, I know Miss Goddess has a beautiful collection including some of our favorite brunettes..... I hope she will make herself at home here, and post them anytime at all (and frequently).

I'd like to do a bunch of Claudette Colbert, becuase I just love her myself. One of these days I will get to it.... I promise!

Message was edited by: JackFavell

Hi Jackie

Are you sure Marie Prevost is real? She looks like some doll made in heaven and then sent down to Earth to put us on. Lovely pics of her. laffite

EDIT: I deleted the original comment I wrote here. I mistakenly thought that the sketch was supposed to be of Marie. So please except my "never mind!" One of these I may learn to read carefully. ;)

Message was edited by: laffite

Here is one more scan of *Marie Prevost* that I think will really bring out the pirate in you.

(sorry for the poor quality, but for some reason the scans from this particular source always show the woven texture of the paper through the photo)

Photobucket

I finally found some nice big photos of *Suzanne Pleshette*.

(click to enlarge)

Photobucket

From *Mr. Buddwing* , co-starring with another sexy brunette, *James Garner*:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks for the bonus Marie pic. She is a cutie.

Speaking of cuties, and for a change of pace (brunette-wise), have a look at sweet Joyce Reynolds tonight in JANIE. I haven't looked her up on imbd but I guess her career never got off the ground. Too bad, this was a nice effort by her. laffite