Sign in to follow this  
JackFavell

Our Favorite Brunettes

1,846 posts in this topic

Thanks for the tip, Laffite. I will most definitely be looking for Joyce Reynolds. According to my schedule, *Janie* is on Tuesday, Sept. 15, at 8:30 am.

Hey there, Greer's girl!

I did like Mr. Buddwing, surprisingly. Those kind of amnesia/mind game type movies don't always appeal to me, but James Garner really did a good job making you feel his anxiety and confusion. I also really liked Jean Simmons, which is unusual for me. She played someone so against what she usually plays, right down to the blond hair! I thought she was very good. I thought the movie was really well done, and not too confusing to follow, for that type of film. I actually think one of those stills I posted of Suzanne might be Katherine Ross, but I simply couldn't tell, and I couldn't remember the scenes in the movie well enough to decide. I liked it anyway, and Katherine is a brunette too, so I guess it's OK.

One thing, though. I missed the very end! Of all the movies to not find out what happened..... I hope they show it again soon, so I can see it all the way through! I really need to know how everything turned out......

Lovely pictures of Miss Paget, thank you, Jackie. I don't know why she was always being cast

as a Native American or "exotic" type, lol, her looks to me are very European.

I like her best as a dark brunette.

(click to enlarge)

Debra Paget

Debra Paget

Debra Paget

Debra Paget

I was wondering that, myself. As I was going through those pics, I was thinking she looks closer to Arlene Dahl or maybe Dana Wynter than a native American or a tropical siren. Thanks for those gorgeous photos! I am glad you had some that were less B-movie..... :)

She (Debra P) was prettier in motion pictures than still photos I think.

In honor of you-know-what, here are some pix of Joanne Dru:

redriver.jpg

(click to enlarge---sorry for the watermark)

Joanne Dru

Joanne Dru

Oh, and though it's small I had to add this one, with another favorite

brunette! :D

joannedrugilbertroland.jpg

She sure had the best leading men!

And here she is with husband John Ireland, who was with her on location filming

of Wagon Master.

(click to enlarge)

Joann wJohn Ireland

Here's some more of Joanne, two with director Howard Hawks

and on the set of Red River (I wish she had never cut her hair,

it's so pretty)

(click to enlarge)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And here's a nice color version of one I posted earlier:

joannedru3.jpg

Oh, golly! I love that last one with John Ireland - they look so happy..... smashing...

I swear you and I are on the same wavelength! What a riot! Lookie what I picked up yesterday - (with Janet Leigh as a brunette):

Photobucket

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Oh, golly! I love that last one with John Ireland - they look so happy..... smashing...

>

> I swear you and I are on the same wavelength! What a riot! Lookie what I picked up yesterday - (with Janet Leigh as a brunette):

>

> Photobucket

GASP!!!!!!!!! Gilbert is STUNNING there, oh man, how could Janet be looking

in any other direction....

hey sweet wendy!

I did like Mr. Buddwing, surprisingly. Those kind of amnesia/mind game type movies don't always appeal to me, but James Garner really did a good job making you feel his anxiety and confusion. I also really liked Jean Simmons, which is unusual for me. She played someone so against what she usually plays, right down to the blond hair! I thought she was very good. I thought the movie was really well done, and not too confusing to follow, for that type of film. I actually think one of those stills I posted of Suzanne might be Katherine Ross, but I simply couldn't tell, and I couldn't remember the scenes in the movie well enough to decide. I liked it anyway, and Katherine is a brunette too, so I guess it's OK.

actually i agree with you. im not usually a Jean Simmons fan, but i liked her in Buddwing. i loved seeing Angela Lansbury as a supporting character. she did an awesome job as that crazy, kinda drunk looking girl from the past. heehee! she can do anything! i just love her! i do have to say, this isnt my favorite James Garner movie, but he makes it believable and makes your heart feel for him and his lost state of mind.

One thing, though. I missed the very end! Of all the movies to not find out what happened..... I hope they show it again soon, so I can see it all the way through! I really need to know how everything turned out......

i hope you get to watch the rest of the movie! TCM needs to show it again. its a rather interesting ending. i liked it.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Photobucket

This one with the ivy in the doorway looks a lot like my mom.

> Photobucket

This one, squinting into the sun looks more like me. Only she's not as good looking... HA! Just kidding.....

>

> This one with the ivy in the doorway looks a lot like my mom.

>

>

> This one, squinting into the sun looks more like me. Only she's not as good looking... HA! Just kidding.....

What a stunning family you are! And I believe you. ;)

Hey there, my little chickadee!

I do like to see Angela Lansbury as a supporting player in almost everything. My husband was watching her in something, I can't remember .... maybe The Harvey Girls? He asked me "who is that?" (he only says that when he thinks someone is pretty) and I said Angela Lansbury and he says no "that pretty one, the blond." adn I said, "yeah, that's Angela Lansbury." Well, I thought he was going to have a heart attack, since he only really knows her from Murder, She Wrote. I think it was the idea of thinking Jessica Fletcher was pretty that got him....

Thank you MissG & Jack for the the great pics of Linda, Merle, & Joan. i would have thanked you both sooner, but I havent been at the thread for a few days.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Nooooo! Oh my gosh, when you see my picture you will think, "she thought she looked like Joanna Dru? NOT!"

Then I bet you're prettier. :)

One of my favorite Hitchcock leading ladies

was the very non-blonde, Margaret Lockwood,

who will be starring with James Mason in the

upcoming TCM movie, THE WICKED LADY (Thursday,

Sept. 17 at 8:00 pm EST). I've never seen

this movie but I've heard it's good; I'm intrigued

by the premise.

Some candid photos of Margaret at home

and on various sets, plus some stills from

The Wicked Lady with James Mason and

Michael Rennie: