Sign in to follow this  
JackFavell

Our Favorite Brunettes

1,846 posts in this topic

JackF - I don't know how long your new Baldies we Love thread would last! But, then again.............

John Derek was what I would call a pretty boy. He seemed to span the decades, reappearing as a photographer/director//filmmaker in the 1970s and 1980s, after marrying various beautiful women.

I guess I would say Jeffrey Hunter, partly because he is in The Searchers. I have a chip on my shoulder about criminally gorgeous men on the whole, so I am going for Jeffrey because he looks more REAL to me than John Derek. Derek is probably more beautiful than Hunter, but Hunter is more attractive to ME.

I guess we really need some empirical data to figure this one out.

JeffreyHunter.jpg

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now see, John Derek is really the great looker - Jeffrey has kind of a chipmunk mouth.

However, if given the choice I would choose Jeffrey. Especially if you tousle his hair and give him a bit of a stubbly beard, like when he plays Martin Pawley. yum!

John Derek as Joshua, or Jeffrey as Jesus? hmmmm. I don't know.

As actors Mr. Hunter hands down, he was excellent under Ford and equally good in King of Kings. Mr. Derek was so - so as a performer. Maybe its just the movies that John Derek appeared in that I didnt like.

Ladies, who do you find more attractive: John Derek or Jeffrey Hunter??

Well now that Jackie's empirical data is in... for me it is Jeffery by a LANDSLIDE. (oh and PS: thanks Jackie for that last pic of him in King of Kings.... We have that movie on tape, and I never even realized that was him ..ha. duh)

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Ladies, who do you find more attractive: John Derek or Jeffrey Hunter??

>

> Well now that Jackie's empirical data is in... for me it is Jeffery by a LANDSLIDE. (oh and PS: thanks Jackie for that last pic of him in King of Kings.... We have that movie on tape, and I never even realized that was him ..ha. duh)

He makes a really cute Jesus.

OY! What am I saying? Sorry. (blush)

I see a new thread.... cutest Jesus in the movies....

Just give me a swift kick if I am offending anyone here.....

I see a new thread....

OH brother.. don't give ANYONE any ideas. ha. There are already enough of them floating around out there. ha. (you are a crack up) :D

While both are little too "perfect" for my tastes, it's Jeffrey by a mile for me, too. Ironically,

though I love neatness, it's seeing him as a scruffy cowboy that impresses me the most.

I actually first knew of him from King of Kings, and then maybe from a couple

of other 50s dramas. Didn't he have a rather tragic life? I seem to recall he died young

or something sad about his life.

Yes, that's why I forgot to post it, because I tagged it as Sergeant Rutledge instead of Jeffrey Hunter.

Oh, well. At least I went back and saw it in time to post.

"I guess we really need some empirical data to figure this one out."

Well...empirical data does not lie; thanks for providing it. Jackaaaay, Miss G., Ro-Ro, Cinemafan...

your votes are in and have been counted. Looks like Mr. Hunter wins by a gorgeous, not too neat, not criminally handsome landslide. His blue eyes pop for me. And that clinches my vote on some sub-atomic level. I liked in "A Kiss Before Dying" (Robert Wagner / Virginia Leith/ Joanne Wood-ward) they have Hunter wearing glasses. I always thought that was done in an effort to cut down on his beauty opposite Robert Wagner (who was no slouch in the looks department himself back in the day). I loved Hunter's voice too. Guess I should give "The Searchers" a chance, huh? --(A mini-confession here).--

Miss G., I posted this little excerpt from imdb for you, re: the too soon passing of Jeffrey Hunter. I was shocked to learn he was married to one of my favorite favorite actresses, Barbara Rush. I just saw her on a little segment where she talked of her admiration of James Mason. I've always liked her voice. Now there's (IMHO) an unsung actress who TCM could show a little love to, along with Piper Laurie...and maybe Julie Adams?????

Thanxx ladies, for weighing in. I'm sure it was a tough decision. < sigh! > ;-)

"...Shortly after signing to co-star with Vince Edwards in The Desperados (1969), Hunter suffered another cerebral hemorrhage while on a short flight of steps in his living room, and collapsed, injuring his head in the fall. It was not known how long he had been unconscious when he was finally found. He died, without regaining consciousness, the following day after surgery to repair the skull fracture, at age 42.

Son with Barbara Rush, Christopher (b. 29 August 1952)."

Don't forget he was the original Captain of the starship "Enterprise", Captain Christopher Pike. When NBC ask for 2nd pilot he declined. They used his pilot 'The Cage" and turned it into a two part episode of "Star Trek" in its first season.

He almost lost an eye while filming "The Longest Day", if I'm not mistaken they left the scene in the film.

Starred in his own series for one season "Temple Houston" as the son of Sam Houston.

His good friend Roger Moore named his son Geoffrey in his honor.

Quote from Jeffery Hunter....."I was told I had arrived when, during the shooting of "The Seachers" they gave me almost as much ammunition as John Wayne"

A very talented and well like man. Left much to soon......

> {quote:title=cinemafan wrote:}{quote}

> Jeffrey Hunter, of course! He had, and I don't use this word often, soul - and a great, real smile.

>

> tumblr_kqfkqymHKw1qa4pzjo1_500.png

Oh, that's sweet, cinemafan. I do think Jeff had a very nice spirit. Something does

come through from him that is inherently very decent. I guess that is one reason

he was chosen to portray the Christ. And John Ford liked him enough to use him

in at least three of his productions.

> I loved Hunter's voice too. Guess I should give "The Searchers" a chance, huh? --(A mini-confession here).--

>

MAVEN!!!??? Do you mean to say....you....have not....seen....THE SEARCHERS???

Do I have to drag you out to Brooklyn BAM again for another John Ford treatment? :D:D

I kid. I wouldn't do that to you.

But the next NY screening of The Searchers....expect an email from me.

> Miss G., I posted this little excerpt from imdb for you, re: the too soon passing of Jeffrey Hunter. I was shocked to learn he was married to one of my favorite favorite actresses, Barbara Rush. I just saw her on a little segment where she talked of her admiration of James Mason. I've always liked her voice. Now there's (IMHO) an unsung actress who TCM could show a little love to, along with Piper Laurie...and maybe Julie Adams?????

>

I like Barbara Rush, too. I first noticed her in The Young Philadelphians. Very poised and very pretty. She was also good in the role of Kirk Douglas' frustrated housewife. I felt bad for her character, she should have shown him the gate.

> "...Shortly after signing to co-star with Vince Edwards in The Desperados (1969), Hunter suffered another cerebral hemorrhage while on a short flight of steps in his living room, and collapsed, injuring his head in the fall. It was not known how long he had been unconscious when he was finally found. He died, without regaining consciousness, the following day after surgery to repair the skull fracture, at age 42.

>

> Son with Barbara Rush, Christopher (b. 29 August 1952)."

That really brought tears to my eyes. I think he and Barbara were separated at that point.

I thought he was married to someone else...someone who was really pushy about his

career....I remember some biography on TV about him that talked about how pressured

he was over his career.

Fred: Thanks for the info. I didn't know that about Moore naming his son after him. How lovely. I like Roger Moore the more I learn about him. He seems to really cherish his friendships.

Why are nice guys always dying young? And another head injury death. People, if you ever fall or bump your head...even if you feel fine afterward...PLEASE get it checked out. It's amazing how many people die from bumps on the head. Though it's scary Jeff died after having surgery. So sad.