Sign in to follow this  
JackFavell

Our Favorite Brunettes

1,846 posts in this topic

*Ro-*

Now is she the one who was in David Copperfield as the mother? Because I have always liked her a lot and thought she was quite beautiful! I never knew she was married to Bobby... can you believe it? I love the photos you picked out, because I have never seen her out of period costume.

And *Fred, MissG -*

those Rochelle Hudson photos are stunning! I can't make up my mind which I like best, I keep going back and forth.

Now is she the one who was in David Copperfield as the mother?

Yes, I do believe so , Jackie. I did not place her there until after I looked her up. But I think if I recall from what I read earlier today that is the case.

The film I saw her in recently was The Mystery of Mr. X. (and it stars Bobby M as a jewel thief) Not a bad little story.

Anyway, based on what I read, they were married for around 20 yrs and had (I think) 3 children one of whom grew up to be the sweet little witch I referred to earlier..ha.

I don't think she had a HUGE film career because I did not see too many films listed for her that I recognized (I think she was in A Tale of Two Cities too, but it's been so long since I saw that I can't recall if I saw the version w/ her, or a different one) But she may have also been a Broadway star so I don't know how big a name she really was back then.

Message was edited by: rohanaka

I know that she gave two of my favorite performances in D Copperfield and some other costume epic, it must have been Tale of two Cities. She also had a lovely picture in a book I had when I was a kid. She was very elegant and refined seeming to me.

She was very elegant and refined seeming to me

She was that way, (at least what I can recall from Copperfield) but she was a lot more playful and flirty in this film I saw w/ Montgomery. But I guess since they were married (I don't know if it was before, during, or after this film) there was bound to be some chemistry between them.

Rochelle Hudson appeared with Joan Crawford in "STRAIT JACKET." She was a beautiful girl back in the 1930's.

And those pix of Katy Jurado...........

:D............ ................ :D

Have I said your thread here is great?

Your thread here is GREAT!

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Rochelle Hudson appeared with Joan Crawford in "STRAIT JACKET." She was a beautiful girl back in the 1930's.

>

She was!? Which character did she play? I totally didn't recognize her, then. I've

only seen Rochelle's early thirties movies.

Ava Gardner:

(click to enlarge):

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I just can't believe how beautiful Ava was sometimes. And it's not a "touch me not"

sort of perfection---she's not ethereal or like a china doll---she's 100% woman. Eve

should have looked so good.

Thank you for finding all those stunning pictures, I know it was a lot of work! :D

When I saw her recently in the movie theater in Pandora and the Flying Dutchman,

it was my first look at her up on the big screen. She was at once less perfect and more

beautiful than I expected. I mean, you could see little imperfections, things that made

her look fleshly and real, and yet she was even more gorgeous because of it. No one

could have been more perfect for that role.

I've often said if I could come back looking like any woman in the world it would

be a toss up between Ava and Gene Tierney. Sometimes I don't know if I'd have

the guts to look like Ava. She had the guts, too! :D

cinemafan and MissG,

I knew that if I presented Ava, I would have to go all out.... because she is that beautiful! I have been collecting her pictures for a while....I just had to find the time to sort and post them.

She was definitely all woman, and gutsy as could be..... and somehow, despite being so gorgeous, she went out looking for more in life. She never got caught up in her own looks.

A few more that were stuck in a different file:

(click to enlarge):

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That woman did not have a bad side. Every inch of her was drop dead beautiful. There are beautiful women today in films, but none that can come close to her perfection.

Although many don't realize it, Ava could sing fairly well. She was dubbed in Show Boat, but if you listen to the original recording (I think it was shown in one of the That's Entertainment! movies) , she actually didn't sing bad at all.

Well Jackaaaay, you have absolutely outdone yourself on this thread you created. The pictures of Ava are ravishing...(and that's not a word I even use in real life). If Harlow is the ultimate blonde, and Rita...the ultimate redhead, I think it's safe to say that Ava Gardner is the ultimate brunette. The photographs you've chosen are beautiful!!

"Sometimes I don't know if I'd have the guts to look like Ava. She had the guts, too!" - Miss Goddess.

Ms. G., I think truer words were never spoken. Without having been born with those looks, who could handle the attention that that would garner. I'll take one hour with those looks...stun people into submission and then rule the world.

KLandrum-

Hi there! I agree. Her voice was lovely too, nice and deep, and somrthing about it is very pure to me.

Cinemaven -

I couldn't agree with you more, the ultimate brunette!

BTW, I think you could rule the world now.... :)