Sign in to follow this  
JackFavell

Our Favorite Brunettes

1,846 posts in this topic

Oooh! All great actors, metsie!

I lerve that Connie pic with the monocle (or bubble wand)..."Whose piercing eyes are THESE?"

I think John Gilbert is about the best American silent film actor outside of Lon Chaney.. He's wonderful even when the material doesn't live up to what he can do, like Rudy. It doesn't hurt that he was gorgeous.

Photobucket

And Ramon Novarro is a great favorite of mine - I'll pretty much watch him in anything, he's so beautiful looking, and his 1930's personality is really charming and just a bit goofy. I've been watching his sound movies a lot lately.

Ian Keith...well, as I said before, I have a weakness for thick curly dark hair and good acting.

Calleia as Brian Donlevy

HA!! For a minute there I thought it WAS Donlevy (until I read your post, ha) In truth, I don't think I have ever heard his name before but I have seen his face many times. (and maybe I just always thought he was SOMEONE ELSE! ha)

And "yikes" is right.. I totally see that whole "Paul Muni" thing going on. ha.

That last one sort of reminds me of George O'Brien.. at least THIS version of him.. ha

31481.jpg

George O'Brien is dreamy! What a great choice, Ro!

He went through some changes too, didn't he? From barrel-chested silent star, to B movie cowboy, and then to veteran character actor in John Ford films.... He's great in all of them. (And great looking).

You better not let Bronxie see that picture, she'll have a nervous breakdown trying to choose between George and Rudy!

You might recognize Joseph Calleia as various gangster types such as Dancer in *After the Thin Man*, or as Obregon in *Gilda* . You've seen him, but he is usually in supportive roles, and tends to drop off the radar. For me, well.... in the right role (usually a strong, confident gangster type), he does something to me. Something about his dangerous hooded eyes makes me weak.

Here you can see him as he most often looked:

Photobucket

Photobucket

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

>

>

> 31481.jpg

Did someone mention George O'Brien? LOL Too late Jackie! Oh have mercy, ro! This is actually my FAVORITE photo of George.

Rudy vs. George, oh help me....

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jun 14, 2011 1:30 AM

Jackie, your Joe-As photos are hilarious!!! And so on-the-mark!! HA!!!

Yes, his pits are waaaay better than Wally's.

Always liked Ian Keith. Not so much romantically, but he's an underrated actor.

I can't bring Georgie to the Naples villa, though. That's just for Rudy, me, and the baby camel.

Joe plays Anthony Dexter's valet Luigi in the 1951 VALENTINO.

I wonder if Calleia ever met Rudy...

Probably not, or maybe he wouldn't be in this "biography".

This is actually my FAVORITE photo of George

OH me... I had NO idea. Sorry to be an "instigator" ha.

Rudy vs. George, oh help me

Well good luck with THAT one.. ha. (I know.. I am NO help at all, ha)

Decisions decisions. :D

It sounds ideal! That baby camel is too cute, though not as cute as Rudy.

Joe never met Valentino, unless it was in Europe early on, which of course is entirely possible.

Joe organized a band in Malta at the out break of WWI when he was just seventeen, and they traveled all over Europe performing in all the war ravaged countries. I don't know why he wasn't conscripted to fight.

He moved to London in the twenties as a singer.

Joe made it to Broadway just as Valentino was taking his last breath. He decided to give acting a try and immediately landed roles in a string of hits.

He must have been a good luck charm - get a load of these credits:

*Broadway* Sep 16, 1926 - Feb 11, 1928

*The Front Page* Aug 14, 1928 - Apr 1929

*Grand Hotel* Nov 13, 1930 - Dec 1931 - Joe acted in and also stage managed this behemoth play - no easy task, I'm sure.

*The Last Mile* Feb 13, 1930 - Oct 1930

*Honeymoon* Dec 23, 1932 - Feb 1933

*Ten Minute Alibi* Oct 17, 1933 - Jan 1934

*Small Miracle* Sep 26, 1934 - Jan 1935

In 1931 he signed a contract in Hollywood, but ended up doing more work on Broadway than in the movies. In 1935, he got his break playing Sonny in *Public Hero No. 1.*

He had a pretty good run in the movies, and moved back to Malta in the 1960's. After his wife died, he spent time in his villa there (one of the first with air conditioning), playing the piano.

Did you all think that Marlon Brando was the first choice to play *The Godfather* ? Nope. It was Joseph Calleia. Coppola begged him to come out of retirement to play the don, but Calleia's health was failing and he refused, twice. This bit of info really made me sad. Can you imagine? Wow.

Photobucket

"I can't bring Georgie to the Naples villa, though. That's just for Rudy, me, and the baby camel." << ( Bronxgirl ) >>

That wouldn't have been the threesome I'd picture in that villa...but okay. I learn something new every day.

Well well JackaaAaay, I see you have some dreamy brunettes of the male kind. Your boy Joe...and then there's Ian, Jack and beefcake George O'Brien. Not bad...not bad. I saw "Orchestra Wives" this morning and I thought George Montgomery was a nice tall (James Craig-like) drink of dark water.

Keep 'em comin' kid!

Rohanaka, your picture of George reminds me of Leon Ames with the mustache. I think Joe would have been great as the Godfather. Thanks for the info Wendy! Barb, glad you stuck with the baby camel. It will bring you and Rudy closer. CineMavin, nice choice in George Montgomery. Here ya go:

2388046047_2c4656192a_o.jpg

2388876626_1e76d2c2b7_o.jpg

For the Tony Curtis fan:

tonycurtis1.jpg

41_1747_20100603130415_Tony%2520Curtis%5B1%5D.jpg

One that always brings a smile to my face:

VMUTF.jpg

McL2.jpg

stockphotopro_154329TFL_0580006248.jpg

WPG1.jpg

He had a very American persona and was attractive. Thanxx for posting his picture.

Funny, I was watching "Orchestra Wives" this morning...well, not exactly watching; I I had it on while I was puttering about. I didn't really want to actively watch it..it was going to be kind of corny. It was very 1940's movie predictable. Every time I saw George Montgomery he made me stop what I was doing. But you know what also made me stop. I heard some voices from some of my 40's favorites. Lynn Bari and Carole Landis had such soothing alto voices. Ann Rutherford had such dark good looks and her not Andy Hardy voice (I regret not speaking to her when I had the chance at the TCM Film Fest). Then when I looked up and saw Mary Beth Hughes...yay! Another nice voice...not as deep but still nice.

Again, the story was typical and very 40's (another dazzling brunette appearing in it was Caesar Romero) and the girls were catty and backbiting. But hey, what I'm trying to say is that it was such an aural pleasure to hear these voices waft through my room while I was straightening up...and then to look up and see some of my forties' faves. And in keeping with Jackaaaay's thread's theme, some of them were brunettes.

I don`t have photos, but four of my favorite male brunettes are:

Richard Carlson

Gordon MacRae

James Craig

David Manners

Lorraine

I don`t have photos, but four of my favorite male brunettes are:

Richard Carlson

Gordon MacRae

James Craig

David Manners

Lorraine

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> "I can't bring Georgie to the Naples villa, though. That's just for Rudy, me, and the baby camel." << ( Bronxgirl ) >>

>

> That wouldn't have been the threesome I'd picture in that villa...but okay. I learn something new every day.

No, for Sargeant Mac Allshard I'd need a rustic American Western lodge. Proper atmosphere adds so much.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jun 15, 2011 6:09 PM

Wow, fascinating facts on Joe! He was just two years older than Valentino...

Didn't Orson Welles see Calleia in a Broadway play and say to himself he wanted to work with him some day, and finally got the chance about fifteen years later when he cast him in TOUCH OF EVIL?

A villa with air-conditioning, that's what I need.

Oh my goodness, you mean Joe could have been Don Corleone? Amazing!! This is incredible! I certainly credit Coppola for this initial decision. So perhaps Rudy would have been his second choice, had our Sheik still been around.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jun 15, 2011 6:18 PM

I had an emergency appendectomy last night, I'm totally fine, but might not post for a few days. Everything is ok.

emergency appendectomy

OH dear me, little Missy... So very sorry to hear it. Glad to hear you are doing ok, now, though.

PS, tried to post a little "pic" for you of a few "fave" Brunettes, but could not get it to post.. I fiddled around and got it to work in my private messages finally, but still could not get it to post here.. Not sure if it is the "upgrade" stuff, or me.. so will have to save it for later. In the meantime, rest up little darlin' and feel better SOON.

Edited by: rohanaka on Jun 17, 2011 3:18 AM

My heart was in my mouth when I read you had an emergency appentectomy, Wendy. I'm thrilled you're recovering nicely.

I don't know if this will make you feel better or not, lol, but Joe is coming on this afternoon, Friday, June 17th, at 12:30 EST, in VALENTINO.

Take care of yourself Sweetheart. We'll be looking for you post as we always do. But in the mean time rest and relax, we'll keep the home fires burning until you are back with your posse......TAKE CARE

A I'm wishing you a speedy recovery Jaxxxxxon. All the best. Rest up. In fact, stay in bed and watch movies.....alllllllll day. A doctor couldn't give you better advice than that. In fact, I am a practicing classic cinemaphile and I prescribe that to you. Take good care kiddo

C.M. aka T.B.

CineMaven said...

Funny, I was watching "Orchestra Wives" this morning...well, not exactly watching; I I had it on while I was puttering about. I didn't really want to actively watch it..it was going to be kind of corny. It was very 1940's movie predictable. Every time I saw George Montgomery he made me stop what I was doing.

Hi, Maven,

ORCHESTRA WIVES certainly is a great one for listening perhaps more than watching - all that wonderful Glenn Miller music! Including one of my favorites, "People Like You and Me" that the band never recorded on records.

One thing that I always notice about George Montgomery is his voice. Does anyone else think he sounds almost exactly like Clark Gable?

JackFavell said...
I had an emergency appendectomy last night, I'm totally fine, but might not post for a few days. Everything is ok.

I say...
Speedy recovery and come back soon as you can!
And I agree with Dr. CineMaven's excellent advice!