Sign in to follow this  
JackFavell

Our Favorite Brunettes

1,846 posts in this topic

I completely agree, Wouldbestar. Falk was a one of a kind acting talent, who completely grabs your attention by simply being the most interesting person on the screen.

As you wish

Next to Columbo (a role I think he must have been BORN for, ha) that Grandpa was my favorite character for him, I think. :)

Edited by: rohanaka on Jun 27, 2011 5:21 PM

I thought Falk was brilliant. Loved him in everything. He's even in one of my favorite "fluffies", *Penelope*, in which I ALWAYS want Natalie to dump her stuffy husband and go off with Peter. :)

Great! I can't take my eyes of "the suit"...I forget if it was Chanel or Valentino...but Natalie looks great in it and yellow's one of my favorite colors. :)

I love yellow too. They say if yellow is one of your favorite colors, it means you are creative.

The clothes in Penelope are outstanding.... even the old lady ones. :D

Photobucket

Ha, it's true, she was even "chic" as an old lady. I always marvel at how tiny Natalie was...I think she was only 5 feet, yet she doesn't look tiny on screen, she looks tall. That made her perfect next to Peter! :D

I forgot either of them were short like me! It's nice to know that some of my brethren made it in Hollywood.

I forgot that she and Peter were in *The Great Race* together too - which is one of my favorites from when I was a girl. I think they only have one scene though, that blizzardy night in the car....when they all get very chummy due to the weather? I bet Max was in heaven....:D

Photobucket

Nice pics! Have you seen some of his later films on the Hallmark Channel? I really enjoyed them.

noir-quote-peter-falk-sam-diamond.jpg?w=328&h=450

22640_lg.jpg

60L0014_lg_2_Peter-Falk.jpg

A friend of mine was a child actor in the 1930's and knew Jack LaRue when they both worked at Paramount in the early 1930's, and he worked with LaRue a few years later at other studios. He recalls him as a nice guy.

MusicalNovelty,

Thank you so much for discussing your friend and giving us an idea of the kind of personality Jack LaRue had. I assume that for a child actor, finding adults in Hollywood who were just plain nice could sometimes be difficult.

I am curious, did your friend ever say anything about LaRue's rather sad life story? I have read that LaRue didn't set aside any money when he was working in the thirties, and that he was kind of an example for young stars later on, about what NOT to do with one's finances while working in Hollywood. I have read that later on, he was always strapped for cash, taking any role that would pay him a modest sum in order to make a living.

I have always felt bad that his career was not what it promised to be after movies like *The Story of Temple Drake*. I hope he wasn't too distraught over his career or finances.

>I am curious, did your friend ever say anything about LaRue's rather sad life story? I have read that LaRue didn't set aside any money when he was working in the thirties.....

No, he pretty much got completely out of the Hollywood scene when he retired from movies in the late 1930's at about age 14. I don't think he stayed in touch with anyone from his acting career after that. He went on to other activities, including heroically serving his country in WW2 then a happy and productive life ever since.