Sign in to follow this  
vin5203

Barbara Stanwyck and Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte

7 posts in this topic

I'm reading David Bret's Joan Crawford biography, Joan Crawford: Hollywood Martyr, in which he claims Barbara Stanwyck had been cast in Robert Aldrich's 1964 Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte to play Velma, Charlotte's housekeeper (prior to Agnes Moorehead) but was fired before filming commenced (along with Edith Head, who had been hired and then fired as the film's costume designer). I've read elsewhere that Barbara Stanwyck was offered the role of Jewel Mayhew first (that eventually went to Mary Astor) and subsequently the part of Miriam (along with a slew of other actresses) after Joan Crawford left the film and prior to Olivia de Havilland stepping in. However, I've never seen any information supporting Bret's claim of Stanwyck's casting as Velma. Does anyone have any information or insight into this?

• Like 1

I have never heard of Stanwyck being offered any part in this film. And I certainly cannot see her taking the supporting role that Agnes Moorehead did. But let's face it---she would have been tremendous in any of the female roles in this. She could do it all!

Terrence.

• Like 1

Thanks, Terrence. I agree that it would have been odd for Barbara Stanwyck to have been cast in that role, but you are right... she would have been tremendous in any part in the film!

• Like 1

I remember reading Robert Aldrich wanted her for the Agnes Moorehead part. When Crawford left the picture he considered her for that role, but she was already committed to ROUSTABOUT with Elvis Presley.

• Like 1

La Stanwyck was doing her own aging star horror vehicle in William Castle's " The Nighwalker". I really can't see her playing a supporting role to another Hollywood diva.

• Like 1

That's very interesting, I'd heard about Joan Crawford leaving the film, but nothing about Barbara Stanwyck before. By the way, what do you think happens to the character Charlotte? Do you think she goes to jail, does she get away with her crime, or something else?

• Like 1