rohanaka

A Walk on the Noir Side

3,042 posts in this topic

Actually.. of the two films I did end up getting to see the other day.. I liked it the best. As for the boxing, I didnot mind it as much as you'd think. Because it really isn't about boxing.. that is just what is going on as a part of the story. It is really more about Ryan's character and what he was struggling with personally. I liked that he didn't know what was going on and just made up  his mind he was going to give it his all once he started feeling like he couldn't win.. that is what kept him going.

You are right, the film is about a personal struggle.  And how that struggle affects another.  But the setting is boxing and some people cannot get past this to understand the personal conflict at the heart of the story.  I'm glad you were able to do so.  The Set-Up is one of my very favorite films noir.  I think it's superb.

I am no fan at all of the sport, to be honest... but I DO like one other film about boxing quite a bit and parts of The Set-Up actually reminded me a bit of that film too. 

Oh, absolutely.  I also sensed Rocky a lot while watching it.  And Martin Scorsese does the commentary track on the DVD.  He speaks of how he studied the film while making his Raging Bull.  Quite impressive.

The only other film I got to see on Friday was The Mask of Dimitrios.. I enjoyed it quite a bit too. (and found it a nice surprise for what you usually expect from both Lorre AND Greenstreet) 

I know others enjoy this film a good deal.  I wasn't too impressed by it.  I prefer Lorre and Greenstreet in Three Strangers and The Verdict.  If you haven't seen those two, I think you'd like them both.

First up was Murder My Sweet: 

The Grey Dude said Murder, My Sweet... That one you'd like it.  It's one of the better detective films noir.  Dick Powell plays Philip Marlowe

Woo.. good call Mr. Grey. I loved it!! What a fun movie. Powell's Phillip Marlowe was a real treat.  A nice mix of wit, sarcasm and tough guy grit.. all rolled into a decent human being to boot. I really liked him a lot. And the characters were so much fun too.. (POOR Moose.. I didn't know whether to love him or RUN from him.. he was scary and yet sympathetic all at the same time.  And oh that evil Helen/Velma. (Claire Trevor is a really good MEAN girl.. ha. I only really have seen her in a few films other than StageCoach.. but wowsa.. ha.. she is NO Dallas in this one for sure) And I enjoyed Ann Shirley's character as well. I loved the way it all played out at the end. (when he is in the police dept and giving his testimony and not completely aware of who all is in the room.. very fun way to wrap it all up) A very entertaining kinda "gumshoe" movie.

That's a nice write-up.  All that you said is how I also felt about Murder, My Sweet.  It has many great elements to it.  When those who don't know film noir too deeply hear the term "film noir", it's this kind of film they imagine.

Next came Danger Signal

And I have to say.. though I don't really tend to "rate" films in any sort of order... this one would not be up near the top of favorites from yesterday.  I did enjoy it well enough to stick with it, but it reallly dragged in places. (Though I did keep screaming at poor Hilda.. LOOK at the mustache!! Never trust a guy with that sort of pencil thin mustache!! ha. And what about Zachary Scott.. ha. This movie and Mildred Pierce too.. he just needs to stay away from BEACH houses. ha.)   :D

Ha!  I got a laugh out of your "beach house" quip.  While this film isn't the strongest, I thought you'd enjoy watching Zach Scott and his attempting to snake his way around three different women.  You tend to enjoy watching snakes.  You know, like Rip (Wendell Corey) from The Furies. :P

I would say the best part of this film would be the ending. If the rest of the film dragged from time to time, the end (at least the BIG finish part) was anything but. I really enjoyed the way the whole thing with the "last supper" ALL  played out between Hilda and Ronnie (mini-spoiler) I Especially LOVED the way I thought she had used the "weapon" she smuggled in to the dinner.. and even TOLD him she had  used it, only to find out that she had lied. And I liked the whole "divine justice" angle for what happens at the end. That way he got what he deserved and Nobody had to go to jail.. ha.. it was a win-win. :D

So bloodthirsty! Poor Zach!

After Danger Signal, I watched Detour

Molo says: Ann Savage as Vera is just a classic. Volatile, disturbing, manipulative and just plain mean, you just have to love her, unless you're Tom Neal as Al, then you have a real problem on your hands.

And the Grey one comments: I can't see you liking Detour (#55), but Vera (Ann Savage) is a revered character in film noirdom.  But sometimes I think I'd be safer with her than you.

To which I just have to say.... HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Poor Vera.. where is the LOVE??? ha. She wasn't as dangerous as AL!! ha.  I mean come on.. first the guy in the car.. and then poor VERA!! He was a walking natural disaster. ha. Way scarier just hanging out with HIM, ha. :D

Good point!

As for the "like-ability" factor with this one, I would have say I come down somewhere in the middle. Parts of this film I enjoyed a lot.. but I don't know that I would rate it  as high as others overall as I did find it a bit far-fetched that first the guy in the car would kick off so "accidentally" and then he makes the worst possible choice of all the choices he could make in assuming the dead guy's identity and of all the people out on the road you could possibly come across.. the ONE that would even have any idea whatsoever that he was not who he said he was would be HER? (too much of a coincidence to make the rest of what happens even remotely believable. But still it was intriguing at times to see how they moved forward from there. And all kidding aside.. for as UN-likable as she was, I found a good deal of sympathy from time to time for poor Vera. She was a monster, but I think it was because she knew her health was going to be the end of her and she had just given up on life.. a pretty tragic character.. even if she was a nightmare on two feet too. 

That's a different take.  I like it!

FrankGrimes said: It has a character in the film you will end up liking a lot.

Well, since I missed a good portion of it, I am only guessing.. but if you are referring to Gus.. Oh me.. he broke my heart there at the end. Wowsa.. what a guy. 

You got it.  It's Gus (Paul Lukas) who I felt you'd really like in Deadline at Dawn.  I love the ending with him.  It's a lovely twist in film noir, one you don't always find.

Next I watched Johnny Angel and ha.. do you know the biggest problem I had with this film?? the TITLE!!!! ha. (I kept hearing that awful song.. Johnny Angel.. how I love him" Agh!!! make it stop!! ha.) Seriously though.. what a doofy name for not just ONE sea captain but two. (Captain Angel.. oh bruddah) :D

You're making me laugh!  My nickname is "Frankie Angel", just so you know. :P

But all issues with the title and the name aside.. it was a good movie overall. Almost too brutal to be believed.. very gritty. The murderer was REALLY a pretty ruthless person once they were revealed. And I was pretty surprised by who that turned out to be too, so I did not see it coming. It was a nice unexpected twist. OH, and talk about your messed up families.. it was even a bit creepy too, in places with some of the relationships between Gusty, and Lilah, and Miss Drumm. (loved seeing Mother York in a very "un" Mother York-like role) 

I agree.  This is a "big twist" flick and I also didn't see it coming.  As George Raft films go, I think this is one of his best.  I liked him a great deal in this one.  Claire Trevor is also memorable.  And Hoagy Carmichael is excellent as "Celestial O'Brien".  What a perfect name for this one.

I took another break with Gun Crazy again, because I had already seen this one and had some other stuff to do, but then I came back in with Tomorrow is Another Day. 

I really liked this one a lot.  I especially liked the way it started out with Bill and his first experiences after leaving prison (I loved the bit with the three different pieces of pie. He certainly had his priorities in order.. ha) To go from being a young boy kept from the outside world for so long to a full grown man with no idea how to relate in a non-prison environment in the outside world. He had a LOT to learn.. about pretty much everything. And through a series of unplanned events.. he's back on the lamb again, with an unexpected traveling companion to boot. I love how they fall in love throughout the story and how she helps him to know the first easy times he's probably ever know.. despite how hard they had it (and later on in the story I loved how she sets him straight when he decides his back hurt to much and he was going to stay home from a hard day's work.. he really DID NOT have any idea how much 'harder" real life was on the outside compared to the "controlled" hard life he'd had in prison. It was a good twist on the preconceived notion most of us have about such things.. life really IS harder in the real world in a lot of ways) 

Excellent write-up!  Nicely done.  I wanted more from this film.  I'm not sure what, though.  I did like the scenes of "panic" with Bill (Steve Cochran).  He was always running.  There are other films like this that I like more.  You Only Live Once is one of those.

And then finally last night.. (talk about saving the best for last) I enjoyed Nightmare Alley. 

The Grey Guy says: Nightmare Alley (#28).  It's the kind of film noir morality tale you'd appreciate.  Tyrone Power is wonderful playing against type

Wowsa.. Grey dude.. as much as I EVER hate to agree with you.. a.. I have to say you were spot on. And boy, what a story. And what a performance from Tyrone Power too. Very amazing and well played character for him.  

Woohoo!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Tyrone is magnificent.  Love his charisma and eventual fall from grace.

And even though I did not recall it until I started watching, I do actually think I have seen at least portions of this movie before.. in fact I am sure of it. But I don't know if I ever saw it all the way through because all through the whole movie I pretty much did not have any idea how it was going to end up. (but I was pretty sure it was NOT going to end well for Stan.) OH me.. he was a great example of a more or less "decent" guy.. at least I didn't think he as a bad guy... who got into trouble because he started to believe his own press. He became better and better (and better) at his craft.. and it brought him attention, fame, and lots of success. And he more or less forgot he was dealing with the REAL world.. and  for all the times he enjoyed quoting (and misusing" the scripture for personal gain.. he SHOULD have thought of one more. "Be sure your sin will find you out" and it did. (ha.. he could have also taken a lesson from old "Honest Abe Lincoln" too.. because the old adage is right.. "you can't FOOL all of the people all of the time" and get away with it forever.  In the end.. he more or less got what he deserved because he finished about as horribly as you could possible think..and yet, not completely so, overall. Because the other scripture he could have benefited from remembering sooner rather than later at least came through for him in the end: "Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things. Love never fails.. " and the one whom he deserved the least from (because of all the hurt he'd caused) was the one who loved him most. Not a bad way to end up, despite the great depths he'd been dragged down to (by his own poor choices) 

Those are befitting passages, without a doubt.  Very good!  Films noir are often morality tales.  Nightmare Alley is one of the better ones.

Bronxie, I loved the .gif of Verna Jarrett.  What a lovely family, the Jarretts.  So modern! :P

Ro, did you watch White Heat or any of the others yesterday?  I like The Bribe.  It's a bit middling but it has a first rate cast and wonderful atmosphere and cinematography (all those marvelous shots through venetian blinds, ceiling fans et al).  Yet still very seamy, not glamorous---except Ava.  Ava always looks glamorous.

Zachary gets to be something less snakey in Shadow on the Wall.  I admit when I first saw it I was surprised at the moral descent of Ann Sothern's character.  She did good with the role.

My favorite film noir (besides Laura) is on next Friday: On Dangerous Ground.  I hope you don't miss it.  Of special note are Ward Bond's character portrayal and the Bernard Herrmann score.

Poster for The Jim Wilson School of Anger Management:

1345236096-on_dangerous_ground.png

• Like 1

Hey there Ro,

So I'm curious what you were able to see Friday.

FrankGrimes Wrote: I know others enjoy this film a good deal.  I wasn't too impressed by it.  I prefer Lorre and Greenstreet in Three Strangers and The Verdict.  If you haven't seen those two, I think you'd like them both.

It has been a long time since I saw The Verdict but I do remember liking Three Strangers very much. I think it was Arkadin who recommended that one to me.

Miss Goddess wrote: Poster for The Jim Wilson School of Anger Management:

Ha! That's great! I definitely agree about On Dangerous Ground too.

Ro,

Thanks for the great Fourth of July spread! Here are the deviled eggs I promised:

dd74b335-2d85-45b5-ad10-1a4686da1ce8.jpg

:)

HELLOOOO there Mr. Grey!! 

You are right, the film is about a personal struggle.  And how that struggle affects another.  But the setting is boxing and some people cannot get past this to understand the personal conflict at the heart of the story.  I'm glad you were able to do so.  The Set-Up is one of my very favorite films noir.  I think it's superb.

I can imagine why you would enjoy it.. it's got a lot of themes that you like.. especially the "little guy" standing up to the "big guy"  (ha.. even if the big guy was named "Little Boy" ha.) 

Oh, absolutely.  I also sensed Rocky a lot while watching it.  And Martin Scorsese does the commentary track on the DVD.  He speaks of how he studied the film while making his Raging Bull.  Quite impressive.

I have never seen Raging Bull... I imagine that one to be more of a "boxing" movie. (ha.. even though Rocky and The Set-up having Boxing in them, I don't see them that way) But maybe I have misjudged RB all these years. 

I know others enjoy this film a good deal.  I wasn't too impressed by it.  I prefer Lorre and Greenstreet inThree Strangers and The Verdict.  If you haven't seen those two, I think you'd like them both.

I have seen Three Strangers. It was several years ago, though. I don't remember as much about it as I should other than it was almost creepy there with the little statue.. ha. (if I remember it right)  I don't think I have seen The Verdict but I am familiar with it because if it is the one I am thinking of.. it was on not that long ago. I missed it, but I remember reading about it. I will have to check into both of those again sometime, because I do enjoy Lorre and Greenstreet together. They make an odd (and yet somehow also befitting) pair. 

That's a nice write-up.  All that you said is how I also felt about Murder, My Sweet.  It has many great elements to it.  When those who don't know film noir too deeply hear the term "film noir", it's this kind of film they imagine.

It really is a very good representation of what most folks think of as a "noir" film, I bet. At the very least it fits that "gumshoe" stereotype pretty well. 

Ha!  I got a laugh out of your "beach house" quip.  While this film isn't the strongest, I thought you'd enjoy watching Zach Scott and his attempting to snake his way around three different women.  You tend to enjoy watching snakes.  You know, like Rip (Wendell Corey) from The Furies.

What!! How dare you speak so poorly of my buddy Rip!! ha. He was a STANDUP guy compared to your old rotten TC!! ha. As for Zach Scott.. well.. ha. He should not be so good at playing such slimy guys!! (I saw him in The Shadow on the Wall this week and almost didn't know who he was.. even though I DID know who it was.. ha) :D

I agree.  This is a "big twist" flick and I also didn't see it coming.  As George Raft films go, I think this is one of his best.  I liked him a great deal in this one.  Claire Trevor is also memorable.  And Hoagy Carmichael is excellent as "Celestial O'Brien".  What a perfect name for this one.

George Raft sort of wears on me. (ha.. that is something I have discovered in my recent Noir viewings this summer, ha) but I love Hoagy Carmichael in just about anything.. He did a great job in that one, for sure. 

You're making me laugh!  My nickname is "Frankie Angel", just so you know

Ha!! Well.. don't watch too much tv!! Merry Christmas Frankie Angel.. (ha.. enjoy the veal) :D

I wanted more from this film.  I'm not sure what, though.  I did like the scenes of "panic" with Bill (Steve Cochran).  He was always running.  There are other films like this that I like more.  You Only Live Once is one of those.

That is a title I will have to check into. I don't have it on my list 

Those are befitting passages, without a doubt.  Very good!  Films noir are often morality tales.  Nightmare Alley is one of the better ones.

It was so hard to watch him go from a guy that I liked.. to one I couldn't stand.. to one that just broke my heart.. all in the same movie. but I mean that in a good way. ha. 

HELLO there Miss G!! 

Ro, did you watch White Heat or any of the others yesterday? 

Yes, I DID get to see White Heat. (made it home just a few minutes before it started!) I got to watch several last night actually.  But I pretty much missed all the ones that came on earlier (so I totally missed The Bribe, I will have to keep an eye out for it in the future.. ha. I am building a growing list of ones that I didn't get to catch this summer but want to still try and see)  

Zachary gets to be something less snakey in Shadow on the Wall.  I admit when I first saw it I was surprised at the moral descent of Ann Sothern's character.  She did good with the role.

She handled the back and forth between feeling guilty and being guilty pretty well. I can't say that the whole movie was all that great, but she stood out in that role, for sure. 

My favorite film noir (besides Laura) is on next Friday: On Dangerous Ground.  I hope you don't miss it.  Of special note are Ward Bond's character portrayal and the Bernard Herrmann score.

I am VERY much looking forward to it, too. I will enjoy getting to hear your thoughts on it all once I get to see it!! 

Poster for The Jim Wilson School of Anger Management

Ha!! Now that's a face only a mother could love!! Oh me. He looks like he needs to be taken down a notch. ha. I wonder if I am going to have to get my Peacemaker boots and hat out to watch this one, ha. :D

PS: Molo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'v e changed  your avatar!! What in the WORLD happend to Gloria and my tomato!! I see CARY has showed up in his Only Angels Have Wings HAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha. (Oh me.. now THAT was a rumble.. I mean Ramble to remember for sure!! It was epic!!) :I am sensing a theme now. ha.  You are only going to post avatars from all our classic mud fight rambles. ha. (next up will be something from The Devil and Daniel Webster!) :D

Ha.. actually.. that sounds like a fun idea!! I would love seeing all those pics. :D

Meanwhile.. here is a rundown of what I saw this week: 

First up was White Heat.. WOWSA!!! I said that I had hear Cagney was over the top. and he really WAS!! Woo. It was a pretty violent film.. very gritty. But oh me.. the way they planned and schemed. I wonder what they would have been able to do if they had just put that much effort into being honest citizens, ha. And the WOMEN in this story.. at least the two associated with Cagney's character. Good gravy. They were something. It was fun to watch how it all came together, but wow.. I almost feel guilty admitting it because I usually don't find movie that ruthless to be fun.. and did I mention this one is violent?? ha. 

And then I watched The Window. I think of all the ones I have seen since The Summer of Darkness started.. this one has to be pretty high on the list of ones I have liked most. It really REALLY was a very good movie!! (not sure how it fits in my perception of what a "noir" film is.. ha.. but it WAS dark.. and I guess the little boy DID sort of fit the main character who is maybe not as honest a guy as he should be and who gets caught up in a crime that he did not commit.. ha. So yeah.. I suppose so!!) 

And what a great job that little guy did too. I really think it was one of the best "kid" roles I have seen for a crime-related story like this one.. ever. (except for maybe sweet little Rhoda. but I don't really see that as much as a Crime story.. ha. more like a NIGHTMARE.. but I digress.ha) :D

And I liked how he wanted to please his parents even when he was still such a little liar, ha. But really, I think he just enjoyed his little 'fantasies" so much he sometimes got caught up on them. Still. you'd THINK his parents would have figured out he wasn't lying by the way he just refused to let it go, even after getting in so much trouble.  

I was thinking back on this movie after I watched it and I remember now that this is one that I know for sure Miss G and a few others have suggested I look for so I am really glad to have finally caught it now. Very good movie.  

I also got to watch The Big Clock and boy.. that Charles Laughton.. i have to say.. every film I see him in I find a new reason to enjoy him. He was so slick and slimy in this one, I am surprised he didn't leave any oily trail behind him everywhere he went.. Ewww! ha. 

And I just wanted to HIT Ray Milland with a big stick Good grief will these guys in the movies like this NEVER learn?? Once he started messing with the evidence and fiddling around with things to try and hide where he'd been and who he was with.. he was setting himself up to BE guilty even if he wasn't. But I am glad it all came together finally.. FINALLY!! (and oh that Harry Morgan.. I think that was about as creepy a guy as I have ever seen him play.. but if he was as creepy as ever in this one. ha.. I think Elsa Lanchester was about as funny as ever too.. oh me. All those kids and all those husbands.. too funny)  

Next I watched Shadow on the Wall. To be honest I can't say this one wowed me much, but Miss G called it right.. the best part for me was Ann Sothern. (and It was odd, and  yet refreshing to see Zachary Scott playing a good guy, ha. I like the bit with him and and his daughter, and the little boy where he was telling him about shaving. Very sweet) 

Finally I watched High Wall. and this was a bit of a stretch for me. (I think it was one of those "believe-ability issues because overall I found most of it a bit far-fetched)  The best parts were when Robert Taylor was matching wits with the killer and trying to get over on him. I liked how all that worked out in the end. (oh.. and ha.. I loved the bit with "Pinky" in the bar.. very funny..and quite clever too, how they used him to their advantage) 

So now I will look forward to the films up for this coming Friday. I don't think I have seen many (if any) of the ones coming up for July 10. So along with On Dangerous Ground, what else do  you folks recommend I try to catch this time??

OH.. and PS again, Molo.. thanks for bringing the Deviled Eggs!! they look DELISH!!  I am glad  you made a big batch.. those are going to go quick! ha.  

I think we are also going to need something lighter and fresh for dessert after all that heavy bbq stuff.. Parfaits for everybody!! :D

parfaits_zpsmewtu7dq.jpg

Edited by rohanaka
  • Like 1

Hey everyone,

I see things are really cooking here on the dark side of the board! :)

Ro,

Glad you got to see The Window. I figured you would like it. It's a good story and the film moves really well.

It really REALLY was a very good movie!! (not sure how it fits in my perception of what a "noir" film is.. ha.. but it WAS dark.. and I guess the little boy DID sort of fit the main character who is maybe not as honest a guy as he should be and who gets caught up in a crime that he did not commit.. ha. So yeah.. I suppose so!!) 

I liked the location shooting. It really gave you a sense of being there in that hot New York summer and added a lot to the feel of the film. It was certainly dark and the tension built up nicely. I liked the shots done on the fire escape. The final scene in the abandoned tenement was photographed nicely. Ted Tetzlaff had a long career as a cinematographer and a fairly short one as a director. He did a good job here.

And what a great job that little guy did too. I really think it was one of the best "kid" roles I have seen for a crime-related story like this one.. ever. (except for maybe sweet little Rhoda. but I don't really see that as much as a Crime story.. ha. more like a NIGHTMARE.. but I digress.ha) :D

Bobby Driscoll who played little Tommy was given one of those special juvenile Oscars for this film. He is remembered mostly for his Disney work. He was known for his willingness to please and his ability to take direction. No doubt this served Tetzlaff well. It's hard to do a story like this where the kid is the center of the picture but I think in this case it really works, so credit to Driscoll and Tetzlaff for that.

d74d6ac6-10d4-47c8-b248-be4d9df034fd.jpg

And I liked how he wanted to please his parents even when he was still such a little liar, ha. But really, I think he just enjoyed his little 'fantasies" so much he sometimes got caught up on them. Still. you'd THINK his parents would have figured out he wasn't lying by the way he just refused to let it go, even after getting in so much trouble.

Ha! I agree. He was a little liar but I think you are right, he was really caught up in his fantasies. I also think he liked to talk and often the mouth kept moving after the brain stopped thinking. I felt really sorry for him when he realized he was in trouble. You could tell he wasn't really a bad kid. I think his parents had been dealing with his antics for so long they couldn't see past it. They also had their own troubles. I did like the way the father tried to talk to him a bit. 

I think there is one scene where the father briefly considers that Tommy is telling the truth. I might be wrong about that. It has been a while since I saw the film.

Kennedy and Hale were okay as the parents, not a lot to chew on there. Paul Stewart and Ruth Roman were better as the villianous Kellersons.

Overall a nice cautionary tale for the kiddies about the importance of tellling the truth and a good well paced thriller to boot.

I also got to watch The Big Clock and boy.. that Charles Laughton.. i have to say.. every film I see him in I find a new reason to enjoy him. He was so slick and slimy in this one, I am surprised he didn't leave any oily trail behind him everywhere he went.. Ewww! ha.

Yes he was a real piece of work. Everyone subject to his whims. The scene where he loses it when Rita Johnson's Pauline was telling him off was really good.

And I just wanted to HIT Ray Milland with a big stick Good grief will these guys in the movies like this NEVER learn?? Once he started messing with the evidence and fiddling around with things to try and hide where he'd been and who he was with.. he was setting himself up to BE guilty even if he wasn't.

Well he couldn't let his wife find out. He had already lied to her and Maureen was the jealous type. So yeah, it was her fault. :P

But I am glad it all came together finally.. FINALLY!!

I liked Ray's character throughout this film. He was far from perfect but pitted against such a monsterous jerk as Laughton's Janoth, he was easy to root for.

(and oh that Harry Morgan.. I think that was about as creepy a guy as I have ever seen him play.. but if he was as creepy as ever in this one. ha.. I think Elsa Lanchester was about as funny as ever too.. oh me. All those kids and all those husbands.. too funny)

SPOILER!

Yes and he never said anything. He was like a scary zombie thug. I wonder if he ever got out of that elevator. Did Laughton land on him?!

Lanchester was good. She does well with those goofy eccentric characters. I thought the last line was a bit too silly though.

The set up of the film was great and the way the building was shot and intergrated into the story. There were enough twists and turns to keep you involved.

I haven't watched White Heat yet and it has been too long since I've seen High Wall or Shadow on the Wall to really comment on them. I may give them another look soon.

PS: Molo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'v e changed  your avatar!! What in the WORLD happend to Gloria and my tomato!! I see CARY has showed up in his Only Angels Have Wings HAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha. (Oh me.. now THAT was a rumble.. I mean Ramble to remember for sure!! It was epic!!) :I am sensing a theme now. ha.  You are only going to post avatars from all our classic mud fight rambles. ha. (next up will be something from The Devil and Daniel Webster!) :D

Ha.. actually.. that sounds like a fun idea!! I would love seeing all those pics. :D

Ha! I just put that one up because that is when you all started callling me MadHat! I think I was the only one in that discussion who thought Grant's hat was cool. You all ganged up on me about that.  :D

You have a good idea though. We shall see.  :)

OH.. and PS again, Molo.. thanks for bringing the Deviled Eggs!! they look DELISH!!  I am glad  you made a big batch.. those are going to go quick! ha.  

I think we are also going to need something lighter and fresh for dessert after all that heavy bbq stuff.. Parfaits for everybody!! :D

They are always the hit of the party! That parfait looks really refreshing. I don't get many of those. :)

Did someone say there were devilled eggs?

Well my goodness! Jackie, it is great to see you here!!!

I had been working on my post off and on while I did things around the house and you snuck by me there. :)

Have a few deviled eggs and stick around. The party is just getting started!

"White Heat" is a pretty terrific crime picture. Cagney is bigger than life but wasn't Cody Jarrett? I think one of the best played scenes is near the end when he finds out about O'Brien. It is understated, maybe the only thing he does that is that way, and exudes anger. 

I did always think it dumb when the bad guys always went to the top of the building, hill, chemical plant (name your high place) because they are always trapped because sometime they are going to have to come down. All anyone has to do is wait. That is, unless you blow the place up in which case you may never come down.

Did someone say there were devilled eggs?

Well... YES!!! ha.. Yes little missy.. It  IS our TCM Rambler Family Reunion, you know. We're having a backyard BBQ with hot dogs, hamburgers, kabobs, potato salad.. and Molo's famous deviled eggs.  (and if he's lucky, I'll even make some saurkraut and sawdust for the "Grey One" ha.) 

And oh.. did I also mention.. along with the parfaits, we are also having Turtle Ice Cream Pie for dessert!!! :) 

turtle%20icecream%20pie_zpsmmwr40eu.jpg

Come back and sit a spell, little darlin'!! You have been greatly missed!! :) 

If you are on the lam, DON'T go to the mountains! From High Sierra to Gun Crazy, it always ends badly.

I liked the beginning and the end of The Window. Yes! The fire escape parts worked well. The parents looked hot and tired all the time, unglamorous, busy. They even made Barbara Hale look kind of hausfrau! A miracle I think.???? A lot of these noirs seem to me to be veiled cautionary tales - "parents,pay attention to your kids, even if you are harried and poor". Geez, M was more of a template for this type of film than I realized. It would also make a good double bill with Carol Reed's The Fallen Idol, my favorite kid viewpoint film.

I also liked how skewed the camera work was at the end in the delapidated and intensely scary building. Especially in the scene where the boy had to jump...did you notice how far away the ground looked, and how it seemed impossible that he could ever land on that tiny target? It might have been a dutch angle, I'm not sure, but somehow, the director gave the impression that the kid would have to drop SIDEWAYS to make it. That was terrific! It made what was a foregone conclusion very suspenseful.

What I REALLY loved best about the film though was the dopey policeman and how he never put 2+2+2 together... You would think he'd realize that the boy that was with Paul Stewart and his wife, yelling and screaming in the cab was actually the missing son of Arthur Kennedy and Barbara Hale. And if he had, he could have said where they went... But he never figured it out, even when they lived in the same building! That, to me, was the most noir thing about the film...that the police or those in authority (parents) are unable or even incompetent to help you in such dire, life and death situations. You are truly on your own....even if you are an eight year old boy.

Hey there Madhat!!

Ha! I just put that one up because that is when you all started callling me MadHat! I think I was the only one in that discussion who thought Grant's hat was cool. You all ganged up on me about that. 

Au contraire mon frere, ha. Now I would have to go digging to find that whole chat again, but as I recall I was the one who brought up that hat.. and in my post I said something like: "Cary.. what were you THINKING???" ha. And then everyone ELSE (including and especially YOU) kept commenting how much they loved it (except for maybe Jackie.. I think she rode the fence on it and wasn't sure) But I do remember posting numerous pics on that hat giving alternative choices that he COULD have gone with.. ha. In the end I remember feeling that it was very much a "me against the majority" on that one. (oh the sad, sad, lonely feeling) ha. :D

But hey.. it looks good on you now. I bet it will keep the sun out of your eyes at the BBQ.   :D

Glad you got to see The Window. I figured you would like it. It's a good story and the film moves really well.

Exactly right.. I stayed with it all the way through. It was just the right mix of funny, sweet, and downright scary, and even a bit touching and sad in places, as everything traveled along. 

I liked the location shooting. It really gave you a sense of being there in that hot New York summer and added a lot to the feel of the film. 

The director did a very good job of creating the mood and feel for the time and place of where they were at, for sure. It even FELT hot just watching. ha. I kept thinking.. KID.. take off those long PJ's and put on some shorts and a Tshirt. ha. I can only imagine how HOT those apartment buildings were in the stagnant hot summer.. no A/C and no fans.. Agh.   I liked the parts on the fire escape too.  And you are right, the final moments were very well done. Creepy and fraught with danger all at the same time. Very intense. 

Overall a nice cautionary tale for the kiddies about the importance of tellling the truth and a good well paced thriller to boot.

Ha.. I don't know. It IS a cautionary tale, I suppose because it does fit the whole "boy who cried wolf" scenario.. but wowsa.. talk about going to extremes to make your point (ha.. although I guess it's not quite as bad as the original "cry wolf" story. I think in THAT one the boy gets eaten. (yikes!!) :D 

Well he couldn't let his wife find out. He had already lied to her and Maureen was the jealous type. So yeah, it was her fault.

OH Bruddah.. picture me rolling my eyes at THAT one (oh wait.. you don't have to since they installed the new emoticons) ha.  :rolleyes: 

He was like a scary zombie thug. I wonder if he ever got out of that elevator. Did Laughton land on him?!

HA!! I bet he did!! (serves him right!!) :D

I thought the last line was a bit too silly though.

I agree. it was out of place, at the end (would have been really funny earlier on though) 

And the Movieman says: "White Heat" is a pretty terrific crime picture. Cagney is bigger than life but wasn't Cody Jarrett? I think one of the best played scenes is near the end when he finds out about O'Brien. It is understated, maybe the only thing he does that is that way, and exudes anger. 

Oh yes.. you could just SEE him seething. As for the rest of the time, ha. You are right, he WAS bigger than life. I would imagine he was worn out at the end of the day, just from playing that role.  

I did always think it dumb when the bad guys always went to the top of the building, hill, chemical plant (name your high place) because they are always trapped because sometime they are going to have to come down. All anyone has to do is wait. That is, unless you blow the place up in which case you may never come down.

HA!! I was thinking the same thing, the minute I saw him climbing the stairs, "Dude.. what are you thinking.. you KNOW you aren't coming down from there in one piece"  ha. (And then, after the "big bang"  I thought yep.. Top of the world.. bottom of the world.. over here in this corner of the world and some more over there. That was him all over. ha.) :D

HELLO there Miss Jackie!!!

Welcome back to the Noir side of town, youngun!!

If you are on the lam, DON'T go to the mountains! From High Sierra to Gun Crazy, it always ends badly. 

Ha.. yes. Apparently in the movies, the mountains only work if you are an Austrian family trying to escape from the Nazis, ha (and then only if you can sing) :D 

I liked the beginning and the end of The Window. Yes!

I bet it is one that you would like. (I almost found myself getting the same feeling for that kid like your sweet little blondie in Curse of the Cat People.. not overall, just now and then. The way he kept getting in trouble with well-meaning parents.. and nobody would believe him, etc) 

The parents looked hot and tired all the time, unglamorous, busy. They even made Barbara Hale look kind of hausfrau! A miracle I think.

Unglamourous. Very. And yet not ugly.. just "real" and boy are you right about Ms Hale. i HARDLY recognized her at all.

A lot of these noirs seem to me to be veiled cautionary tales - "parents,pay attention to your kids, even if you are harried and poor". Geez, M was more of a template for this type of film than I realized. 

I would not have put that together, but I can see now, how it could be seen that way. I think both films really speak to how kids can be so easily "ignored".. not willfully, but just because the "every day" busy-ness of life gets to be so much that you lose track of what is going on, sometimes. 

It would also make a good double bill with Carol Reed's The Fallen Idol, my favorite kid viewpoint film.

Oh.. I had not thought of that but yes!! 

I also liked how skewed the camera work was at the end in the delapidated and intensely scary building. Especially in the scene where the boy had to jump...did you notice how far away the ground looked, and how it seemed impossible that he could ever land on that tiny target? It might have been a dutch angle, I'm not sure, but somehow, the director gave the impression that the kid would have to drop SIDEWAYS to make it. That was terrific! It made what was a foregone conclusion very suspenseful.

Oh girlie.. I have missed your posts so much!! Exactly right and well said. You always have such a good eye for how things are filmed to make the most of what is going on in the story. It was very suspenseful how it all played out between the killer and the little boy there at the end. 

What I REALLY loved best about the film though was the dopey policeman and how he never put 2+2+2 together... You would think he'd realize that the boy that was with Paul Stewart and his wife, yelling and screaming in the cab was actually the missing son of Arthur Kennedy and Barbara Hale.

And I kept thinking how much BETTER it is these days with so much technology.. they'd have cell phones and internet and all sorts of things.. that kid's face would have been plastered all over the news and online in no time.. and yet. agh, I hate to think, even with all we have at our disposal these days, stuff like this still can happen. 

Mmmm! Turtle Pie

Well of COURSE!! We aim to please, and I seem to remember SOMEBODY around here likes her turtle candy. :D

Howdy there Ms. "total recall"

Au contraire mon frere, ha. Now I would have to go digging to find that whole chat again, but as I recall I was the one who brought up that hat.. and in my post I said something like: "Cary.. what were you THINKING???" ha. And then everyone ELSE (including and especially YOU) kept commenting how much they loved it (except for maybe Jackie.. I think she rode the fence on it and wasn't sure) But I do remember posting numerous pics on that hat giving alternative choices that he COULD have gone with.. ha. In the end I remember feeling that it was very much a "me against the majority" on that one. (oh the sad, sad, lonely feeling) ha. :D

So I am misremembering the whole thing? Thanks for pointing out my senility! :D 

I remember you bringing up the hat and I remember staunchly defending that fine hat. (cuz we all know that Only Angels Have Wings is really just about the hat) but then everything gets blurry. I forget who ganged up on who but I am sure you are right. I think that discussion must have taken place in the original rambles thread. Ha! I will have to search for it now!

Still I know "madhat" came out of that chat somehow.

Speaking of hats. I am seriously considering getting one of those fedoras TCM is selling as part of their noir apparel line. (I can't quite afford the Lincoln Continental). What do you think?

http://shop.tcm.com/summer-of-darkness/index.php?v=tcm_sales_sale-1&icid=leftnav_tcm_sales_sale-1

OH Bruddah.. picture me rolling my eyes at THAT one (oh wait.. you don't have to since they installed the new emoticons) ha.  :rolleyes:

I figured that might get your attention! :)

Okay so it wasn't Maureen's fault but that was his motivation for covering everything up.

Oh good, Pie!

Howdy there Ms. "total recall

Ha.. hello Madhat. Oh sure.. stuff like THIS I can remember, but oh me.. I have to make two or three trips to the grocery store before I remember that we need eggs, ha. (silly me) 

As for the Great Hat Debate.. I think, if I recall.. you and the Grey Dude immediately loved it. There were a few hold outs.. some went back and forth. (for a while, it was girls V boys, maybe, too) but in the end.. ha.. I was alone.. all alone, out on my lonely mountaintop.. hey, I've been THERE before. :) 

(but I could be misremembering some of it myself.. I am old, it's what I do) ha. 

As for the Fedora.. ha. DON'T get the one with the feather (looks way too "Larry Tate" and you MIGHT be fingered for a murder you didn't commit.. poor Ray Milland had to hid his feathered hat in the wetbar the other night, ha) But I would DEFINITELY get the Lincoln.. oh and those way cool shades too. Might as well go for the whole look. :D

Hey, Ro, thanks for always feeding us -- I added your 4th of July spread to my own mini pig-out. Hope everybody had a wonderful holiday. 

So glad you "enjoyed" WHITE HEAT.   Cagney's Cody is all literally explosive 'id" and the '50's-style drably efficient lawmen are the "super-ego" equivalent. 

Hi, Jackie!  How are you doing?

Bonjour, Goddess!  I just love Virginia as Verna, lol. She was sort of warming up for it in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, ha!    I always get a kick out of Max Steiner's "Verna's Theme", which I call the "Lazy, Duplicitous ****" music..

Oh my goodness, is there anyone scarier than an angry Robert Ryan?  I'm looking forward to ON DANGEROUS GROUND.

• Like 1

Hello Miss B!! Glad you are enjoying the BBQ and treats!!  Hope you and Mom B are having a happy Monday!! 

(As for Angry Robert.. ha. He scares me, just looking at him, ha. But I mean that in a good way! Can't  wait to see what's got him so mad!! ha.) :D

Hey, Bronxie! Great to chat with you again!

Love what you said about Verna's music! Ha! I had a small epiphany about Verna the other day, I think from coming in on a scene cold, without watching the movie from the start. It was at a point least halfway through. Verna had been cooped up in the house waiting for Cody, day after day after day, while he's out buying gasoline trucks and Trojan horses,lol. She begs, literally begs Cody to take her with him, and Cody says (and I'm paraphrasing here) something like, " Naww, honey, why don'you stay here and play with your radio". Like she was a little kid, inconsequential. The LOOK she flashes him is deadly and it made me see Verna in a really different way, as an un-emancipated woman who probably left home looking to control her life rather than marry some stooge, but here she is stuck like a housewife anyway. It made me think of her just a little more kindly. What stay at home wife or mom hasn't felt that flash of anger before, when hubby has been out doing whatever he wants or at least his job, and she hasn't been out of the house for weeks?? Honestly, I think this is what noir at it's best is intended to do - bring to light social inequities without overtly pounding the point home.

I mean, who in this film doesn't have some societal complaint? You can also ask, who in this film ISN'T a monster? Even Hank is on his way to being one.

I think you all know how I feel about Cody- that for all his evil, he's really just looking for some unconditional love and trust. The poor guy! He's got good reason to be paranoid! His chosen few are either greedy or out to kill him, his girl loathes him and is just taking advantage of his power and money, and he's too stupid to realize that Ma has strings attached to her love as well. He's a little boy shoved into a man's role in a dirty world where friendship and love mean betrayal. No wonder he's got headaches (and their names are Verna and Big Ed)! He's just trying to get back to a state of childhood grace, the time when love meant love. That's why he responds to Hank. That's why he laughs when he discovers Hank's betrayal. That's why he goes up, quite literally - there is no place for him on this earth without that love. It's why he is who he is...that evil monster eating a chicken leg while he calmly blows somebody's brains out.

Ro, I hope you watched the scene in the prison lunch room closely! I think it was Miss Goddess who pointed out that no one in that scene (including Edmond O'Brien) knew what Cagney was going to do that day of shooting. Cagney had seen first hand what insanity looked like, from a visit to an asylum when he was a kid. He never forgot it, and used the memory in that scene. If you can, go back and look at those shocked faces, listen to how deadly quiet it is as he's dragged away, and how the noise of talking slowly resumes after he's out of the room. It's probably the most real reaction you'll ever see in a movie.

I also think Cagney and director Raoul Walsh were trying to push the envelope, so no one ever again would ask Cagney to do another gangster pic. Lol, they literally obliterated the genre! I can see them conspiring and laughing to themselves even as we admire the work 65 years later.

Hi there, Jackie.

Thanks for raising the bar with our discussion of White Heat. I enjoyed reading  your thoughts on both Vera AND Cody. 

I had a small epiphany about Verna the other day, I think from coming in on a scene cold, without watching the movie from the start. It was at a point least halfway through. Verna had been cooped up in the house waiting for Cody, day after day after day, while he's out buying gasoline trucks and Trojan horses,lol. She begs, literally begs Cody to take her with him, and Cody says (and I'm paraphrasing here) something like, " Naww, honey, why don'you stay here and play with your radio". Like she was a little kid, inconsequential. The LOOK she flashes him is deadly and it made me see Verna in a really different way, as an un-emancipated woman who probably left home looking to control her life rather than marry some stooge, but here she is stuck like a housewife anyway.

And I bet you have it pretty well figured out for her. I also think there was another layer to her too in that she was the kind of person who was always trying to figure out what side her bread was buttered on.. and that was the one she played up to. I am sure she wanted to get out because she was bored. I also think she was trying to impress him because she was so scared he'd find out she had double crossed him (and worse yet.. that she had killed his mother) and she wanted to appear totally "his". I think she knew he expected her to "fawn" all over him and she was definitely fawning for maximum impact. ha. But yes.. I also agree.. she was no housewife at heart and she did NOT like just being told to read her comic books or play with her radio.. she knew he saw her as a "play mate" and had NO respect for her whatsoever as a real person. At times she used that to her advantage, but most of the time I think it just drove her nuts. 

And regarding the "look' she gave him.. oh me. Daggers. ha. But the look that I liked better was the one that she gave to Ma when they were at the police station (I think that is when it happened) and she said something like 'What will happen to me if anything happens to Cody?"  And Ma said something (very jaded) like "You'll be ok. You'll just go back to doing what you did before"   (implying that Ma was saying that she knew Verna was "for sale" to whoever could pay her tab.. I might be remembering it wrong, but that was how I took it.)

You can also ask, who in this film ISN'T a monster?

You have that right.. and yes. I hate to think that Hank would have turned over to "the dark side" ha. but he did have a level of genuine respect for Cody.. at least that is how I saw him. I liked the scene where he helps him with his headache in the prison work room. That was about the smartest move he ever made. Cody totally bought into him as a friend from that moment on and it may have all started out as an act.. but I do think Hank would have rather seen Cody just go to jail than end up how he did, in the end... maybe.  Then again.. he might have just been trying to play it smart and do a bit of "fawning" too.. only in a more macho manly kinda way... ha, so Cody would have no reason to ever doubt him.  I confess... it could have been a little (or a lot) of both. 

I think you all know how I feel about Cody- that for all his evil, he's really just looking for some unconditional love and trust. The poor guy! He's got good reason to be paranoid! His chosen few are either greedy or out to kill him, his girl loathes him and is just taking advantage of his power and money, and he's too stupid to realize that Ma has strings attached to her love as well. He's a little boy shoved into a man's role in a dirty world where friendship and love mean betrayal. No wonder he's got headaches (and their names are Verna and Big Ed)! He's just trying to get back to a state of childhood grace, the time when love meant love. That's why he responds to Hank. That's why he laughs when he discovers Hank's betrayal. That's why he goes up, quite literally - there is no place for him on this earth without that love. It's why he is who he is...that evil monster eating a chicken leg while he calmly blows somebody's brains out.

OH wow, girlie. You have him pegged for sure. He was DEFINITELY the man his mother made him. He loved her, but he never, ever had any choice to end up but the way he did. He was "created" and  yet, totally responsible too, for everything he ever did in his long line of criminal activity. Ma may have loaded the gun (in terms of him being the way he was) but he was the one with his finger on the trigger.. and it was an "itchy" finger. ha. He loved to pull off his  shots, every time. No remorse whatever.  And yet, he was not all about "reaction" either. He was quite clever and cunning too.  He really COULD have been something in the world, with the level of enthusiasm and detail he applied to all his plotting and scheming. I think I mentioned this to the Movieman a few days ago, but just imagine  what he might have accomplished if he (and his  gang) had put as much energy and effort into just being honest citizens. ha. 

Ro, I hope you watched the scene in the prison lunch room closely! I think it was Miss Goddess who pointed out that no one in that scene (including Edmond O'Brien) knew what Cagney was going to do that day of shooting. Cagney had seen first hand what insanity looked like, from a visit to an asylum when he was a kid. He never forgot it, and used the memory in that scene. If you can, go back and look at those shocked faces, listen to how deadly quiet it is as he's dragged away, and how the noise of talking slowly resumes after he's out of the room. It's probably the most real reaction you'll ever see in a movie

Woo.. it was pretty amazing. And now even more so to read all the details you and Miss G have filled in. 

I also think Cagney and director Raoul Walsh were trying to push the envelope, so no one ever again would ask Cagney to do another gangster pic. Lol, they literally obliterated the genre! I can see them conspiring and laughing to themselves even as we admire the work 65 years later

It really is an  iconic role for him. I had never seen the movie, but have seen that image of him on the top of that tower (and watched clips of the movie) about a gazillion times all my life.. and ha, even the QT (who had seen the film decades ago) has always gone about (as long as I have ever known him) using that line "Top of the world, ma" whenever he has seen someone acting that way in other movies.  (or whenever he wants to stir up trouble, ha)

I can only think of a few other characters in later films (after White Heat) who would even come close to "absolute public menace psycho gangster" as Cagney's Cody Jarrett (maybe the only one who comes closest for me, at least right off the top of my head would be Robert DeNiro as Al Capone, in The Untouchables.. and possibly Al Pacino in Scarface, though I have to confess I have never seen that movie.. only parts of it) Cagney set the bar HIGH for everyone who came after him for a character like that, to be sure. And after seeing White Heat, I will add that to me, Cagney does it best because you get a chance to see ALL the layers with him.. not just the bigger than life kinda stuff. 

HELLO there Miss Jackie!!!

Welcome back to the Noir side of town, youngun!!

I try to get away but the dark side just keeps calling me back.... (giggle)

Ha.. yes. Apparently in the movies, the mountains only work if you are an Austrian family trying to escape from the Nazis, ha (and then only if you can sing) :D 

Ha! And only if you aren't on skis....re: The Mortal Storm! Actually, I can't think of anything worse than busting your butt trying to ski away from Nazis, only to be shot in the back after all that exercise!

I bet it is one that you would like. (I almost found myself getting the same feeling for that kid like your sweet little blondie in Curse of the Cat People.. not overall, just now and then. The way he kept getting in trouble with well-meaning parents.. and nobody would believe him, etc) 

Ooh, now that's a good comparison! And both sets of parents seemed so obtuse...not understanding their kids' need forimaginative outlet, their sensitivity. Bet that little boy grew up to be a reporter, or a writer of crime fiction!

Unglamourous. Very. And yet not ugly.. just "real" and boy are you right about Ms Hale. i HARDLY recognized her at all.

She's such a pretty woman.

I would not have put that together, but I can see now, how it could be seen that way. I think both films really speak to how kids can be so easily "ignored".. not willfully, but just because the "every day" busy-ness of life gets to be so much that you lose track of what is going on, sometimes. 

Exactly. So while it's a fable meant to keep kids from "crying wolf" there's also a moral for the parents.

I wonder which it seemed like most to the rest of the ramblers?

Oh girlie.. I have missed your posts so much!! Exactly right and well said. You always have such a good eye for how things are filmed to make the most of what is going on in the story. It was very suspenseful how it all played out between the killer and the little boy there at the end. 

Oh geez, is Paul Stewart the bottom of the barrel or what?? Can't get much slimier.

And I kept thinking how much BETTER it is these days with so much technology.. they'd have cell phones and internet and all sorts of things.. that kid's face would have been plastered all over the news and online in no time.. and yet. agh, I hate to think, even with all we have at our disposal these days, stuff like this still can happen. 

Sadly, it still could. Also sadly, half our favorite films would be unable to be made today because the tragedies would all be circumvented by the simple use of a cell phone. It makes me laugh thinking about the line in Bells Are Ringing (it's about a telephone answering service) describing how they could have helped Romeo and Juliet: "If I could have got that message through, those two kids would be alive today!"

Well of COURSE!! We aim to please, and I seem to remember SOMEBODY around here likes her turtle candy. :D

Someone here really IS Miss Total Recall!

HA!!!!! We were posting at the same time!!  (My sister.. how I have missed you!! ha) 

I will come back later to chat more.. real life is calling. Meanwhile.. enjoy that Turtle Pie.. there's always more where that came from for you, lilttle darlin' (and the best part.. ha. no worries with the cyber caleries. ha. If ONLY I could say that for EVERY pie.. alas) :D

Hello again, Miss Jackie, 

At the risk of quoting myself, ha.. Rohanaka says: Apparently in the movies, the mountains only work if you are an Austrian family trying to escape from the Nazis, ha (and then only if you can sing)

And Jackie responds: Ha! And only if you aren't on skis....re: The Mortal Storm! Actually, I can't think of anything worse than busting your butt trying to ski away from Nazis, only to be shot in the back after all that exercise! 

I KNOW!! Oh me.. they should have tried singing while they were skiing or SOMETHING (oh good gravy, now  you have me all mad at Robert Young again. Ha. I get steam coming out of my ears everytime I even THINK of him in that movie) :D

Bet that little boy grew up to be a reporter, or a writer of crime fiction!

PERFECT. ha. I bet you are right. Wouldn't that have been something if he was a crime fiction writer and he was telling the story of his life as a flashback.. "I'll never forget the summer I first decided to become a writer". ha. 

Sadly, it still could. Also sadly, half our favorite films would be unable to be made today because the tragedies would all be circumvented by the simple use of a cell phone. It makes me laugh thinking about the line in Bells Are Ringing (it's about a telephone answering service) describing how they could have helped Romeo and Juliet: "If I could have got that message through, those two kids would be alive today!

Ha!! I remember saying something similar to the Grey Dude about a critical moment in A Kiss Before Dying, ha. Now I can see a whole LOT of stories that would have turned out differently if only there'd been someway to get the message through faster. Puts a whole new spin on that old saying.. For want of a nail... or a TEXT MESSAGE, the kingdom was lost. Alas, ha. :D 

Wow, Jackie, you've given such a superlatively astute and perceptive analysis of Cody Jarrett -- even I'm starting to feel sorry for him!  I've always likened his character to another post WWII, atomic-age monster, Godzilla, lol -- a metaphor for our modern, anxiety-ridden, nuclear times -- out-of-control madness, brute force crawling up from the darkness -- eeek, I'm scaring myself now, ha!  But you humanize Jarrett and, thanks to Cagney's multi-layered performance, make me see him, if not in a sympathetic light, then in a definitely more understandable one.  I've never seen such an "enabler" as Ma Jarrett.  Cody seems uncharacteristically unfazed with leaving one of his steam-scarred bandaged henchman alone in the cabin but as the gang is walking out Ma helpfully reminds him "You know how Zooky talks".  Even then, though, Jarrett doesn't do the job himself but asks another gang member to finish the poor guy off:  "You're such a good friend, make it easy for him".  So maybe Cody is less a bad seed (I'm thinking his "younger" PUBLIC ENEMY Tom Powers might qualify in that department, although his Depression-era reign of terror seems almost quaint by comparison) than I originally thought.  Depraved on account of he's deprived, lol. 

Ro, I love your WHITE HEAT comments!  You know what's strange, though?  I didn't want Cody to find out about Hank, lol.   From my viewings, I never thought Hank respected Jarrett in the least as some sort of master criminal genius or anything.  Hank just wanted to infiltrate, gain trust,  achieve his ultimate mission of Cody's F.B.I. capture, then run off to that much-needed vacation.

Who doesn't love Margaret Wycherly as Ma Jarrett?  My favorite line from her:  "Big Ed knows his life isn't worth a plug nickel when you get out of prison".

HEY there Little Miss B, 

Hmm.. Cody as Godzilla. ha. You may be on to something. (they can both take out an entire industrial plant with one big blast of fire. ha).  :P

You know what's strange, though?  I didn't want Cody to find out about Hank, lol.   From my viewings, I never thought Hank respected Jarrett in the least as some sort of master criminal genius or anything.  Hank just wanted to infiltrate, gain trust,  achieve his ultimate mission of Cody's F.B.I. capture, then run off to that much-needed vacation.

Oh, i agree that he didn't really respect him.. at least not for who he was as a criminal. I think he just sort of found some way to also see him as a person, despite the animal he often appeared to be. He did use the trust that Cody felt for him to his advantage to be sure, so I admit it might just have been as you say.. just finish the job and go home. That COULD have been his motivation.

Yet.. and I admit I could be wrong, for whatever reason I still saw him in a way that made me think that at the very least he did not want to have to kill him unless there was no choice. But Cody just took that choice away, so down he had to go. When he picked up that rifle, he knew what to do with it, without hesitation. It was almost like he was killing a rabid animal just to keep it from hurting anyone else.  But I don't think he wanted it to end that way. At least to me, that was the feeling I got, but I may be wrong. 

Who doesn't love Margaret Wycherly as Ma Jarrett?

WOO.. she sure took pride in her son's work. Agh!! Mother York is my most favorite role for her but oh me.. this one was certainly a change of pace from THAT character, ha (and yet.. both times she plays a woman who has faith in her son's ability and supports him no matter what) The only think I really couldn't quite handle for her in this movie was her HAIR!! (agh.. too "chopped off " looking or something. ha. I just wanted her to keep a hat on the whole time.)   :D