rohanaka

A Walk on the Noir Side

3,042 posts in this topic

Hello, Ro

I too have always suspected a whisper of understanding on Hank's part toward Cody, even if director Raoul Walsh only hints at it.  After all, it was Walsh that gave us one of the most sympathetic of all gangster characters, Roy Earl (Bogart) in High Sierra.  Jarrett's apocalyptic psychosis is a long way off from the elegiac and doomed "Mad Dog Earl", but then the whole nature of violence in America had taken a spectacularly senseless turn after the war.   Maybe White Heat was Walsh's way of showing that.

P.S.  Your happy family saga, Mourning Becomes Electra, is on now---I have never yet been able to get through this movie.  Did anyone ever reveal the ugly subterranean truths about families quite like O'Neal?  The Magnificent Ambersons really do seem "magnificent" in comparison to this clan. His plays always depress me because they're so dark, almost too modern in their pessimism for me.  I can see more plainly the Greek tragedy that bears Electra's name on this viewing. 

Love the Godzilla comparison, Bronxie! :lol:  And I always sympathized with Godzilla, even more than for King Kong (I prefer lizards to apes or monkeys, lol).

I just looked over tomorrow's schedule.  Quite a few "B" noirs along with On Dangerous Ground, which I think is programmed too late (in my opinion it should get the prime slot at 8---it's one of the best films I've seen about "isolation" in all its forms).  I think I've seen them all except, perhaps, Destination Murder, which I hope to catch.

HELLO there, little Hawaiian girl.

I too have always suspected a whisper of understanding on Hank's part toward Cody, even if director Raoul Walsh only hints at it. 

I am glad it wasn't just me.. ha. I think it is more of a "hint' though, like  you said. It certainly is not overt. I just caught a glimpse now and then that made me get that impression. I don't know.. ha. Sometimes I get things caught in my head that I can't quite figure out the best way to express.. but that is how I saw it. 

it was Walsh that gave us one of the most sympathetic of all gangster characters, Roy Earl (Bogart) in High Sierra. Jarrett's apocalyptic psychosis is a long way off from the elegiac and doomed "Mad Dog Earl", but then the whole nature of violence in America had taken a spectacularly senseless turn after the war.   Maybe White Heat was Walsh's way of showing that.

Now it's been long enough that I would have to watch High Sierra again to remember everything, but I DO remember HB's character being portrayed much more sympathetically than Cody. But still I was able to find a measure of sympathy for him even though he was portrayed from a much more animalistic point of view. So that is a great point. 

Your happy family saga, Mourning Becomes Electra, is on now---I have never yet been able to get through this movie.  Did anyone ever reveal the ugly subterranean truths about families quite like O'NealThe Magnificent Ambersons really do seem "magnificent" in comparison to this clan. His plays always depress me because they're so dark, almost too modern in their pessimism for me.  I can see more plainly the Greek tragedy that bears Electra's name on this viewing.

Ha!! Happy family indeed!! Oh me, oh my!! I have yet to get a chance to see TMA to compare yet, but ha.. MBE  is hard to watch for certain. Sort of like staring at a train wreck. Sometimes you just HAVE to look away, but for whatever reason, I just kept looking back again, ha. (I guess I had to see how it was going to turn out) I didn't watch it today, though. To much "stuff" going on at the time.  Plus. ha.. I don't think I could have taken that much "darkness" that early in the day. I might have gone down into the depths of despair before the middle of the afternoon. Better to see that one in the middle of the night. I don't like feeling bleak while the sun is shining. ha. :D 

I always sympathized with Godzilla, even more than for King Kong (I prefer lizards to apes or monkeys, lol).

Oh I have always loved them both. Just a couple of sweet lovable guys.. ha. (even if they DO get a bit worked up every so often and go out of control and tear up the neighborhood now and then.) HA.

But for whatever reason Godzilla has always been my most favorite. :D

I just looked over tomorrow's schedule.  Quite a few "B" noirs along with On Dangerous Ground, which I think is programmed too late (in my opinion it should get the prime slot at 8---it's one of the best films I've seen about "isolation" in all its forms).  I think I've seen them all except, perhaps, Destination Murder, which I hope to catch.

I looked up all the various titles on the schedule for tomorrow and ODG is definitely the one that sounds like the best of the batch.  In fact some of the other titles make me feel depressed just reading about them. ha. (Two in particular stand out as sounding REALLY  depressing.. ha.. one about a guy who is murdered before the movie even starts but takes the entire length of the story to DIE. And the other.. some poor teenage bride sent to prison for a minor offense, has her baby taken away, and then after all the mistreatment and indoctrination from her stay in the "big house" she comes out on the other end as a hardened criminal.

Oh me.. bleak, bleak, bleak. ha. (I may need therapy by the end of the day) ha. But I am going to try and catch a few. Maybe I can take an extra dose of Vitamin D to counteract all that darkness. ha.  :D

Meanwhile. bring on Robert Ryan.. I am REALLY looking forward to it. I like a good "mad" now and then to get he blood flowing!!  ha. :D

• Like 1

Robert is as per usual type-wise in On Dangerous Ground but there is a not-so-usual aspect to him that's works very well.

I'm trying to get my thoughts together for a few words on Act of Violence, just recently viewed.  I wrote here a couple of weeks ago that a former viewing some years ago left me with some uneasy feeling about it that I can't remember now and was curious to see what it was this time around. Not a trace; in fact, there is a certain perfection about the movie, construction-wise as well as well as otherwise. This is well-known movie to all here but I'll have a few comments that struck me. For some reason I'm unable to dash them off trippingly off the keyboard, but I'll get to it.

Ditto, some comments on The Mask of Dimitrios.

How about all of those -wise constructions I'm using. I would make a good C.C. Baxter.

MissG and Jackie, hello there!

laffite

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I still haven't watched White Heat yet! I must confess I'm cheating on all of you! I've been chatting about films with a few friends here in Richmond and they have me watching old 70's and early 80's horror films at the moment. It's been weird. 

Shame! Shame! Shame! as Gomer Pyle used to say.

It seems On Dangerous Ground is tomorrow's must see movie Ro. I know we had a good ramble on that one some time ago I think in this very thread.

Of course Gloria is on tomorrow in A Woman's Secret. Not the greatest film, it's actually kind of quirky and disjointed.  I liked Melvyn Douglas in it. 

Side Street is certainly worth a look if you can manage it. 

Destination Murder I don't think I've seen. I've always had a grudging respect for Stanley Clements though. He was married to Gloria after all. If you ever get the chance to see the Monogram programmer Hot News check it out. Very enjoyable. 

I would recommend The Blue Dahlia too. It's just on so late though. Some other good ones on as well.

Enjoy your day of darkness tomorrow! :)

"D.O.A." is a good ride. I think you'd be all right with that one, Quiet Gal. I really like "Kiss Me Deadly" but it's a hard-hitting Cold War film noir that I don't think would be your speed. "On Dangerous Ground" is definitely the one to catch. You will like that one.

• Like 1

Bonjour, M. Le Pirate! ;)

I'm trying to get my thoughts together for a few words on Act of Violence, just recently viewed.  I wrote here a couple of weeks ago that a former viewing some years ago left me with some uneasy feeling about it that I can't remember now and was curious to see what it was this time around. Not a trace; in fact, there is a certain perfection about the movie, construction-wise as well as well as otherwise. This is well-known movie to all here but I'll have a few comments that struck me. For some reason I'm unable to dash them off trippingly off the keyboard, but I'll get to it.

I do hope you'll share what you thought of it  because I find it a very taught movie.  The sound of Ryan's dragging step closing in on Heflin is pretty scary and unforgettable.  Mary Astor gives a typically outstanding performance in a small role.  The truth will out and Heflin's predicament makes for a gripping drama.  I know I wouldn't want a Robert Ryan who's been nursing a grudge for years to come after me!

I would make a good C.C. Baxter.

Drunk by day, pirate by night!  Not bad.

HELLO there, little Hawaiian girl.

Aloha!

I am glad it wasn't just me.. ha. I think it is more of a "hint' though, like  you said. It certainly is not overt. I just caught a glimpse now and then that made me get that impression. I don't know.. ha. Sometimes I get things caught in my head that I can't quite figure out the best way to express.. but that is how I saw it.

If it isn't there it should be!

Now it's been long enough that I would have to watch High Sierra again to remember everything, but I DO remember HB's character being portrayed much more sympathetically than Cody. But still I was able to find a measure of sympathy for him even though he was portrayed from a much more animalistic point of view. So that is a great point. 

When you've got an actor as good as Bogart or Cagney, you want to give him a character with some complexity.  Somehow, it's hard for me to hate Cagney characters.  You may hate all that a Cody Jarrett does or says, but like Jackie brilliantly pointed out, he's like the bullet that was fired from the chamber.  He went in a straight line, very reactive personality----right where his good old Ma pointed him.  That's why Myrna and Hank were able to manipulate him.  That made him human.

Ha!! Happy family indeed!! Oh me, oh my!! I have yet to get a chance to see TMA to compare yet, but ha.. MBE  is hard to watch for certain. Sort of like staring at a train wreck. Sometimes you just HAVE to look away, but for whatever reason, I just kept looking back again, ha. (I guess I had to see how it was going to turn out) I didn't watch it today, though. To much "stuff" going on at the time.  Plus. ha.. I don't think I could have taken that much "darkness" that early in the day. I might have gone down into the depths of despair before the middle of the afternoon. Better to see that one in the middle of the night. I don't like feeling bleak while the sun is shining. ha.

I ended up turning away yet again before it finished for that very reason.  I don't think I will ever get through it!

I looked up all the various titles on the schedule for tomorrow and ODG is definitely the one that sounds like the best of the batch.  In fact some of the other titles make me feel depressed just reading about them. ha. (Two in particular stand out as sounding REALLY  depressing.. ha.. one about a guy who is murdered before the movie even starts but takes the entire length of the story to DIE. And the other.. some poor teenage bride sent to prison for a minor offense, has her baby taken away, and then after all the mistreatment and indoctrination from her stay in the "big house" she comes out on the other end as a hardened criminal.

Ha!  Yes when you're in Noir City you sure aren't in Kansas anymore!  :P   I agree with Frank that D.O.A. is quite the thing.  Such a simple premise that just works and keeps me on the edge of my seat.  I'm sure I enjoy that movie more than most do because every single time it's on, even though I know how it ends, I just have to watch.  I think it was one of Neville Brand's first roles and does he ever play a sadistic swine.  He really gives me the creeps in this.  Edmund is great, as always, and carries the film well.

Meanwhile. bring on Robert Ryan.. I am REALLY looking forward to it. I like a good "mad" now and then to get he blood flowing!!  ha.

He really gets to go A-to-Z on the emotional register in On Dangerous Ground, and I love watching him gradually learn to reign himself in.

I must confess I'm cheating on all of you! I've been chatting about films with a few friends here in Richmond and they have me watching old 70's and early 80's horror films at the moment. It's been weird. 

Molo!  Oooh, that was my heyday for scary movies.  I think I saw most of them from those two decades.  I'm too chicken for that now.  :)  And I'm just as faithless; good heavens I even watched Sybil of all the ghastly things, instead of a nice, cheerful noir.  It will take several showers and Doris Day movies to wipe away the effects!

Ha!! Miss G.. You and Molo are making me feel so guilty right now. Ok... I confess. I TOO have been unfaithful!! ha. Just this evening I watched (dare I even admit it?) one of the.. PERCY JACKSON movies. ha And if you don't know who that is.. do NOT feel badly. I fear the kidling is dragging me into her newest "preteen" find. ha. I am not sure how deeply we are going to wade into all that, but I do confess I probably enjoyed it better than if I were to watch.. SYBIL!! (agh.. just the thought of it) :D

Meanwhile I appreciate everyone's recommendations for tomorrow. To be honest the two I mentioned (DOA and Caged) are on my list of possibles (though I don't know if I will be able to handle Caged or not (especially if the kidling is around) I remember reading some comments from a few of you on here from a long time ago, and it sounded pretty intense. (ha.. and I am not too "big" on prison movies. plus there is all that whole "bleak" thing I mentioned too) But DOA sounds like it has possibilities and Destination Murder might be one I will catch too. And Red Light sort of sounded like it might have some good moments in it (from the synopsis) but ha.. there is that whole "George Raft kinda grates on me" issue that I have been dealing with the past few weeks. So we'll see. (PS Grey dude, will try for Kiss Me Deadly and see how it goes. But Molo.. will likely miss poor Gloria this time around. Not sure if I will be able to watch that early in the day) 

Oh me.. I better stock up on that Vitamin D it's going to be a bleak, bleak day. ha. (but HEY.. at least it will end w/ On Dangerous Ground.. that is probably the last one on my list for tomorrow but it's the one I am looking forward to most so will cross my fingers for the rest) 

Meanwhile.. I am thinking we need to add some smoked ribs or maybe some smoked chicken to our BBQ menu. They both sound pretty good right about now..(Miss G.. how about some of that famous German Potato salad too? I think we finally ate the last of  Molo's deviled eggs.) :D

See you all on the dark side!!  

I have "Act of Violence" waiting for a second viewing. It is a pretty tense film. It goes beyond noir into an almost Hitchcock suspense thriller. It is a pretty gripping story and well done. I think Ryan gives one of his best and toughest performances.

D.O.A. is a good choice. My daughter really liked it too. (How is that for a recommendation?)

• Like 1

Oh, guys! It's so great seeing you all here again sharing your thoughts! I want to reply to everyone but life just keeps getting in the way.... We are getting ready for a weekend vacation, and I don't think there is going to be wi-fi. I will be sitting in a big field, listening to all kinds of music with a bunch of other crazy people and my family at the Green River Festival. It's going to be 90 degrees on Sunday so send out some cooling vibes please!

Cody = Godzilla, lol! The Atomic connection!

Cody/Roy Earle - you can think of these two characters as related to one another, but they are also spectacularly different! Where Roy is sickened by the violence and the betrayal of his job, so disgusted that it destroys his ability to do what he needs to do to survive; it almost seems like Cody is excited by it. Oh, it takes it's toll on Cody, subliminally, via the headaches, but he's really playing the game... he's going to be the MOST VIOLENT, the BIGGEST betrayer. And yet, they both commit a form of suicide because they can't handle the world anymore. Interesting. I'd love to compare and contrast the two fully sometime with everyone joining in.

I think Hank will think of Cody often after the end of the film. Maybe not quite haunted by him, but there might be a twinge. He'll find himself saying, "A friend of mine once said...." and realize it was Cody. It will just imperceptibly bother him.

I think that the selection of films noir has been TERRIFIC on TCM.

I'm watching DOA this very minute, and I love the way you can hear the sound of a woman singing far off through the wall as O'Brien wakes in his hotel room from a too sound sleep. It is a transitional moment... The movie has been really normal till now. All of a sudden, he's thrust into a different world. I also like the scene in the 2nd doc's office.... Dark except for a little glowing vial....Ooh...."You've been murdered". Little touches like that make a movie for me. Ha! I should be packing.

YIKES, Neville Brand!

I like MBE, it's not great, but it does have a lot to recommend it, namely outside the box performances by the cast.

Laffite, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Act of Violence. Sometimes things need to percolate a little in the brain before they come out right on paper.

I love Act of Violence, Chris... but at first I was disappointed that thete wasn't more of Ryan. On going back to it, I find that along with Mary Astor's, his is the more resonant role.

Anyway, I love reading everyone, and I can't wait to get back to some great conversation!

Maybe there aren't too many Public Menace Psycho types to compare to Cody in noir because the evil on that genre is so far under the surface...or maybe pervasive is the word I mean. Evil is the new normal. Oh yeah, there are the crazy sidekicks (Jack Elam, Neville Brand, Mike Mazurki, Tim Carey) who are usually controlled by the boss types, who seem kind of OK...but which is worse? The crazy, or the cold blooded? Cody still gets to us because he's both.

• Like 1

hard boiled eggs and nuts! Seriously.

Ha.. that actually sounds like a pretty good "road trip breakfast to me! :D

Travel safely stay cool if you can!! (Drink lots and lots of water! The hot weather is one thing, but those nuts will make you thirsty too!!) :) 

Have a great time, little missy!

Hey Jackie,

Well, we are off on our trip! Bringing hard boiled eggs and nuts! Seriously. ????

Ha! Enjoy the festival! Sounds like fun. 

Hi Miss G.,

Molo!  Oooh, that was my heyday for scary movies.  I think I saw most of them from those two decades.  I'm too chicken for that now.  :)

There have been some really good ones. A lot of them I remember vaguely seeing as a kid. I won't go into them here but generally the ghost stories scare me but the gory ones I don't care for so much. :)

And I'm just as faithless; good heavens I even watched Sybil of all the ghastly things, instead of a nice, cheerful noir.  It will take several showers and Doris Day movies to wipe away the effects!

Oh my! Ha! I remember that being a big deal when it first came out. Watch Pillow Talk and Send Me No Flowers and that should set you right again!

Hi Ro,

Ha!! Miss G.. You and Molo are making me feel so guilty right now. Ok... I confess. I TOO have been unfaithful!! ha. Just this evening I watched (dare I even admit it?) one of the.. PERCY JACKSON movies. ha And if you don't know who that is.. do NOT feel badly. I fear the kidling is dragging me into her newest "preteen" find. ha. I am not sure how deeply we are going to wade into all that, but I do confess I probably enjoyed it better than if I were to watch.. SYBIL!! (agh.. just the thought of it) :D

Ha! You two are making me feel less guilty! I had to google "Percy Jackson". If I had to make that choice I would probably take him over Sybil too.

I look forward to hearing about the movies you were able to catch last night.

But Molo.. will likely miss poor Gloria this time around. Not sure if I will be able to watch that early in the day)

Well I really don't think that it is one of her better films. It's okay though. She is pretty amusing in parts of it.

Meanwhile.. I am thinking we need to add some smoked ribs or maybe some smoked chicken to our BBQ menu. They both sound pretty good right about now..(Miss G.. how about some of that famous German Potato salad too? I think we finally ate the last of  Molo's deviled eggs.) :D

Hey that German Potato salad sounds good! I never really do smoked ribs or chicken so I can't help much there. I can offer up some old fashioned souther fried chicken and baked beans though. I have a hankering!

5f258702-153b-460f-941d-011cd705c25f.jpg

912b4d44-fe6b-448a-ae8b-e85661efc514.jpg

Can you handle the bean in the beans Ro?

HELLO there Mad hat. 

Woo.. fried chicken looks GOOD. Maybe we'll forego the smoker for now. (ha.. .getting too hot out there today) so will just enjoy the chicken instead!! As for the beans.. oh yeah!! I am not a big bean fan.. ha. But I DO love a good BBQ Baked Bean recipe.. (lots of sauce, some pork shredded up in it.. a bit of brown sugar to cut the "tangy".. but not too much.  Perfect addition to the backyard feast we've got going for sure! (ha.. I may leave the cooking to YOU next time, you are coming up with some good food for us here lately!) :D

I had to google "Percy Jackson". If I had to make that choice I would probably take him overSybil too.

Ha.. yes. He is decidedly lighter fare than Sybil for sure. And not an altogether awful waste of a couple of hours, though I wouldn't call him a favorite. So far the kidling is only in "like" with that series. ha. Which is ok because I would not want her to make a steady diet of that sort of stuff. So will hope she only wants to see it in small doses now and then. Would have to play the "mean mom" card over stuff like that. 

As for yesterday... I did not catch too many of the early ones, except for D.O.A. and I have to say.. woo HOO! I enjoyed it a lot (ha... as much as you can "enjoy" watching some poor guy die slowly over the course of a few days from some horrific glow in the dark POISON, ha. But at least he did not go down without a fight. 

And PS: Mr. Grey.. boy.. talk about your "morality plays" ha. if ONLY he had stayed with Paula instead of going off to have his wild weekend he'd maybe have stood a chance!! But then again.. who knows? He was a target because of that receipt so either way, he might still have gone down. Still.. ha. You can't deny that there was a case being made that he was regretting his choice to cut loose a bit and leave poor Paula behind, if only for a while. As cloying and clinging as she was.. agh.. I don't blame him for WANTING to get away, ha. But he went all out!! ha. And in the end (when it's too late!) he found out he DID love her afterall. Poor guy. 

My favorite part was his conversation with Majak and his henchmen. ha. What an ODD assortment of characters. ha. I loved the little short guy who just was there to open and close the doors, ha. And good gravy!! What about that Chester!! Wasn't HE a real monster!! Wide eyed and LOONY as he could be with that gun in his hand.. AGH!! 

But oh me.. Majak was my most favorite character in the whole movie. I love when he calls Chester off and says, "He's an unfortunate boy!! He's unhappy unless he gives pain.. he likes to see blood" ha. (almost like he was apologizing for him.. but not quite!!) And then as he interrupts himself while he is talking, when Bigelow is trying to get away.. "That's the closet, Mr. Bigelow" Ha! So polite and so lethal all at the same time.  

Overall, for all it's tragic, depressing subject matter, I enjoyed the way it all played out.

I had some other stuff going on after that though, so I missed the next couple of movies and made it back in time to see The Tattooed Stranger. Can't say it was GREAT, but I did enjoy it well enough. It was fun to see the earlier days of criminal investigation and how that, combined with good ole fashioned "leg work" all worked together to solve the crime. 

Next I hit PAYDIRT ha because I got to see Red Light, and I LIKED it. But I have been  having my own little personal struggle with George Raft this summer.  so I was skeptical at first. ha. I think I have decided he is physically incapable of moving his entire face above his upper lip (except of course his eyelids. ha. They go up and down.. but the rest of  his face.. solid granite!!) ha. And his voice.. flat, flat, flat.

But I have to say despite all my issues with him, ha, I REALLY liked him in Red Light. And the story was good too. (OH that Raymond Burr!! And Henry Morgan.. agh.. yet another creepy role for him as well!) It was nice to see Virginia play a decent gal for a change, though. The whole thing played out quite nicely. (Chalk up another one for Divine Retribution.. ha!! I love when the bad guy gets taken out and nobody had to go to prison!! ha (And even better.. ha.. the big neon sign.. Open 24 Hours at the end. ha. As if to say, Hey... all you bad guys out there.. look out. God is always on the job!!) ha. Made me laugh out loud.. but still true nonetheless!!

But all kidding aside, I did enjoy the use of the scripture at the end. (Romans 12:19) The verse just before that (vs 18) is a personal favorite of mine, and vs 19 just flows right out of it, so that was great to see  how that all fit into the story.  At any rate, I enjoyed it a lot.  

I got to see Kiss Me Deadly too.. but ha.. I have to say, I am not too big a fan overall. And Grey Dude, it wasn't the cold war stuff like you thought.. ha. I just found it hard to really like the main characters too much. ha Maybe was the actor who played Hammer.. or maybe just Hammer himself, but you know it is a bad sign when you agree with the mean detective as he is cutting down the "hero" PI. (ha.. that is a common bit you see in stories like this and USUALLY the detective is in the wrong.. but this time.. I was like, YEAH!! You tell him!!) The ending was a bit far-fetched. But woo.. very explosive!! ha

But by the time it was over, I was glad it was over.

And then.. moving on from there.. WOO, how about that Robert Ryan in On Dangerous Ground!!!!!!!!!!! I l-o-v-e loved it. You all kept telling me.. and you were so right. I found it very moving in places.. for all his toughness there is such sympathy portrayed for that character as well. You GET why he is the way he is and you hope for him to find what was missing in his life that would make him see things were NOT as "bleak"  (ha.. my new favorite word)  as he thought. His attitude had gone beyond jaded and he had forgotten that were better things in life because he was filled to the brim with disgust from having to lock up all the scum of life instead.

But he's not entirely without hope.. you DO see him lower his guard now and then. (like when he stops to play with the paper boy briefly, before going home) I liked how he asks his partner how he lived with himself after what they did all day.. and the partner says, I don't.. I live with other people. This whole movie was a great testament toward the way we all need one another. Afterall, no man is an island. (at least that is what I hear, ha)

He needed someone to care about (and someone to care for him) and even if he felt like he NEEDED to separate  himself from all the filth of dealing with the corrupt criminals of the big city all day.. he was lacking the ability to turn the channel and enjoy the better side of life.. because he kept it all to himself.. and he kept himself to himself too.

Until.. he met Mary!! Oh me.. wasn't SHE something. NOT your typical "noir gal" at all. And wasn't it something that it took a blind woman to help him SEE what was missing from his life all along. What a perfect contrast for all that was wrong in his life. He's seen too much. She couldn't see anything at all. And yet.. she could see everything that mattered about him as a person. And it helped him to finally see it too.   

And I liked the contrast too, between the "big city" with all its filth and the "pristine" white snow in the rural area where he ends up too. Very much a commentary on what was so wrong for poor Jim and his life too, in a way. You REALLY notice it even more near the end of the movie and you almost are overwhelmed by the difference as he is driving back IN to the "mess" of the city and that whole way of life.  

And I just have to add.. oh that Wardy Bond. What a role. He was not as one-dimensional as he first appeared too.. I liked that very much, and how that all fit in at the end for him as well.

I won't spoil the ending.. but I do want to say.. I liked it. There were several ways it could have gone. This for me was a great choice.. but ha.. after all that bleakness.. it COULD just have been ME. :D

All in all.. a very good story. Thanks to you all for recommending it!! 

Ok, Molo.. pass me one of those chicken legs, and a side of beans too!! All this gabbing is making me hungry!! I think it's time for a snack break!! :D

Did someone say fried chicken?!!

My mom used to make baked beans from scratch. Oh man, sometimes I dream of those... She always added molasses. I made BBQ beef a few weeks ago in the crock pot, and added hickory smoke and a touch of molasses, and it came out just like Mama's baked beans! Was I in heaven.

For some reason, I can never quite sit through D.O.A. I promised myself I would watch it straight through this time, but my attention wandered, and suddenly it was over and I didn't even know how it ended!

RED LIGHT SPOILERS

Red Light was really fun to watch. I LOVED the ending! I'm with Ro, God's retribution almost always does it for me. Not since Hell's Hinges have I been so shocked and at the same time satisfied by an ending. Even though the title is referring to something else, I felt it was especially appropriate that Raymond Burr was taken out by it! If you think about it, the words 'red light' can mean different things in this film, not just the district it takes place in, or the neon underworld, or that Raft's brother wants him to put the 'red light' to, or STOP his vengeful ways. One could even see it as the red light of anger and revenge in Raft's character's mind. Am I reaching a little? Probably, but it's fun to talk about.

I'm not too crazy about Kiss Me, Deadly either. It's got great moments, a terrific plot, excellent cast, and is well done, but I think Ro nailed it for me... I just don't like Mike Hammer. And it's sad, because I like Ralph Meeker in everything else I've seen. He has a way of making even the most scoundrelly fellows likeable.

I didn't see On Dangerous Ground this time, but did watch when Miss G and Frank talked about it some years ago. It's my second favorite Nick Ray film, so thanks, Miss G! I love both of the atmospheric settings, that SO capture Ryan's moods, and affect him so much. I love Ryan's partner, he's my favorite character. It's hard to play nice and I like him for his honest portrayal and concern for Jim. I also like the oversexed, low rent Blonde, and the small time sweaty hood. All the character actors are excellent, I won't go into how great Ward Bond is, turning into what Jim is escaping from.

The scenes that stand out for me in memory are:

Ryan washing up in the tiny sink in his EXTREMELY lonely apartment...he literally HAS to wash the work day off of himself in order to sleep.

and

The scene in the cabin when the lamp falls and he starts to see the light. It's so evocative.

and

that last scene - the tremendous effort of reaching his hand out and the touch itself. It gets me choked up just describing it.

Ro, I hope sometime you will also watch my favorite Nick Ray film, They Live By Night. It's such a fragile, beautiful movie, from start to finish.

I am so glad you are back.

You could have even said "Hello, I must be going."

I should have! Ahh, regret.... ????

And PS: Mr. Grey.. boy.. talk about your "morality plays" ha. if ONLY he had stayed with Paula instead of going off to have his wild weekend he'd maybe have stood a chance!! But then again.. who knows? He was a target because of that receipt so either way, he might still have gone down. Still.. ha. You can't deny that there was a case being made that he was regretting his choice to cut loose a bit and leave poor Paula behind, if only for a while. As cloying and clinging as she was.. agh.. I don't blame him for WANTING to get away, ha. But he went all out!! ha. And in the end (when it's too late!) he found out he DID love her afterall. Poor guy.

One of my favorite components of film noir is the stupidity of the guys.  Some of us cannot pick the right girls.  Men really are idiots!

But oh me.. Majak was my most favorite character in the whole movie. I love when he calls Chester off and says, "He's an unfortunate boy!! He's unhappy unless he gives pain.. he likes to see blood" ha. (almost like he was apologizing for him.. but not quite!!) And then as he interrupts himself while he is talking, when Bigelow is trying to get away.. "That's the closet, Mr. Bigelow" Ha! So polite and so lethal all at the same time. 

That made me laugh!

I got to see Kiss Me Deadly too.. but ha.. I have to say, I am not too big a fan overall. And Grey Dude, it wasn't the cold war stuff like you thought.. ha. I just found it hard to really like the main characters too much. ha Maybe was the actor who played Hammer.. or maybe just Hammer himself, but you know it is a bad sign when you agree with the mean detective as he is cutting down the "hero" PI. (ha.. that is a common bit you see in stories like this and USUALLY the detective is in the wrong.. but this time.. I was like, YEAH!! You tell him!!) The ending was a bit far-fetched. But woo.. very explosive!! ha

No, no, no.  I didn't think your issue would be that it's a Cold War film noir.  I thought you wouldn't like it because it's brutish and highly masculine.  I rarely run into a woman who goes for Kiss Me Deadly.  It's almost exclusively guys who go for it.  I loved seeing Ralph Meeker playing an anti-Bogie detective.  It's such a great twist.  He's truly a bull in a china shop.  And that doesn't play out so well for him.

But by the time it was over, I was glad it was over.

That was my feeling with Red Light!  Blech!  I had these reactions:

kissmedeadly1_zpsgyuykkaq.jpg

kissmedeadly2_zpsggrhmkxb.jpg

The above scene reminded me of Raiders of the Lost Ark.  I wonder if there was any inspiration from it.

One of my favorite components of film noir is the stupidity of the guys.  Some of us cannot pick the right girls.  Men really are idiots!

Love makes fools of us all. (That probably goes for lust too). And you don't even have be a denizen of the noir world. If some of us cannot pick the right girls then yes we are idiots (fools) but idiots sometimes actually pick the right girl. This doesn't mean they aren't idiots, it just means they are lucky (for awhile anyway, until they screw it up).

:wacko:

Oh, lust is worse. It makes one do dumb things sooner and probably to a worse degree. Since "Double Indemnity" is playing this weekend at select theaters (nice plug, huh?) isn't it really lust that dooms Fred MacMurray? (I think lust would be immediate in all of its manifestations.) Maybe it turns into love later, or is it mutual desperation, and that is what keeps the situation going otherwise he could kill Barbara and be done with the whole thing.

Love, I think, can make you more forgiving for bad things. Love should be comfortable in the relationship. Yes, it should still have some lust.

Yes, men are idiots but not all of us and not all the time. AND, we don't have sole claim to that title either. (That is as far as movies go.)

• Like 2

Oh, lust is worse. It makes one do dumb things sooner and probably to a worse degree. Since "Double Indemnity" is playing this weekend at select theaters (nice plug, huh?) isn't it really lust that dooms Fred MacMurray? (I think lust would be immediate in all of its manifestations.) Maybe it turns into love later, or is it mutual desperation, and that is what keeps the situation going otherwise he could kill Barbara and be done with the whole thing.

Love, I think, can make you more forgiving for bad things. Love should be comfortable in the relationship. Yes, it should still have some lust.

Yes, men are idiots but not all of us and not all the time. AND, we don't have sole claim to that title either. (That is as far as movies go.)

My preferred weakness is PASSION, which I distinguish from LUST in that it is fueled by something more than just sexual chemistry and it can develop into love---the mind's imagination is always working feverishly to feed it and make it grow.  JOHNNY and GILDA in Gilda.

LUST is purely chemical/hormonal and disconnected entirely from the brain, lol.  THE SWEDE and KITTY in The Killers.

• Like 2