Bronxgirl48

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

5,333 posts in this topic

Mom's takes on:

1978 HEAVEN CAN WAIT: "I don't understand Julie Christie's hair. It not only looked like a mop, but it was a DIRTY mop! And I just don't think James Mason had the spiritual quality of Claude Rains as Mr. Jordan somehow.".

Kubrick LOLITA: "What was the big deal? They didn't show anything."

MA AND PA KETTLE: "Percy Kilbride reminds me of Stan Laurel. And oh that Marjorie Main! She could sit on him!"

THE FARMER TAKES A WIFE: "I never knew Henry Fonda was so handsome! Of course when he got older he seemed like he'd be hairy all over. I don't know why, I just feel it."

THE PATSY: "I never knew Marion Davies was such a good actress!

She was delightful, so funny and made those cute faces. I loved her."

A RAISIN IN THE SUN: "I can't believe Sidney Poitier didn't win a Best Actor Oscar for this part. I don't think he was as good in LILIES OF THE FIELD."

(After buying fruit at the market): "I want to get home and watch THE MANCHERRYIAN CANDIDATE."

MR. LUCKY: "Very nice. Wasn't Cary Grant married to Betty Hutton at the time?"

MR. LUCKY: "Very nice. Wasn't Cary Grant married to Betty Hutton at the time?"

LOL!! I used to call his wife Lauren Hutton, ahahahaha!

And I agree about Julie Christie's hair---in fact I make that observation my critique for the

whole movie. :P

See? I really am her long lost daughter!

Mom could never remember Dyan Cannon: "Who was the young wife of Cary Grant with the curly hair, Diahann Carroll?"

I've never been able to bring myself to watch that HERE COMES MR. JORDAN remake. I don't know what it is, I don't want to see actors in bell bottoms in the 1970's doing this kind of a story.

Mom already considers you part of the family.

Wouldn't she have been great as one of those everyday-but-eccentric people Johnny Carson used to have on his classic show, like the woman who showed him potato chips in the shape of movie stars?

like the woman who showed him potato chips in the shape of movie stars?

Ha... I remember those bits... she'd fit right in to be sure. (and she'd be WAY more entertaining than the potato chip lady... ha)

Do you suppose she still has that collection? Did she pass it down to her children?

It's too bad your mom couldn't have met Johnny. I would love to have heard her opinion of him....

HA!!! The look on that poor gal's face when Johnny bit into that chip!!!! Priceless... She was such a sweet little lady... he really had her going for a second, there...

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Mom could never remember Dyan Cannon: "Who was the young wife of Cary Grant with the curly hair, Diahann Carroll?"

>

> I've never been able to bring myself to watch that HERE COMES MR. JORDAN remake. I don't know what it is, I don't want to see actors in bell bottoms in the 1970's doing this kind of a story.

>

> Mom already considers you part of the family.

That would have been something if Cary had married Diahann Carroll in the 60's! ;)

Its always interesting to compare film memories or stories. It all depends on which one you see first! I saw Heaven Can Wait in the theatres as a kid, and really enjoyed it! Perhaps the only film I have really liked Warren Beatty in(Well, that and *Bugsy* ) Didn't get a chance to see Here Comes Mr. Jordan til many years later, and just thought it was ok. Seeing it again later on, I was able to enjoy it much more. Guess I was expecting too much the first time.

Always wondered if Warren just ripped off the title from the Don Ameche film???

*Always wondered if Warren just ripped off the title from the Don Ameche film???*

*Here Comes Mr. Jordan* was orginally supposed to be titled *Heaven Can Wait* but Fox was working on a film with the same title (the Don Ameche film). Columbia and Fox came to an agreement and the Don Ameche film got to keep the title. Columbia retitled their film *Here Comes Mr. Jordan*.

It's so nice to hear from your mom again! It's been a long time. Her keen observations are always welcomed around here.

I remember my sister taking me to see *Heaven Can Wait* in the seventies. Of course I was just a small child at the time. ;) I had forgotten James Mason was even in it,

Hi Barb

I admit, the quality of hirsuteness is not something that?s ever occurred to me regarding Henry Fonda (Hmm, wonder if he's ever worn a King Kong costume.) But it is interesting as well as funny nonetheless. Your mother should consider publishing a chap book. It could be entitled, ?A Compendium of Salient Observations about Classic Movies from a Bronx Mother.? It will be a sure hit! ;)

laffite

Ps if it ever happens, be sure and send me a copy.

//

She calls me up today to chat, which I really didn't need since I'm recovering since yesterday from subtropical "autumnal" malaise here in Florida, and just wanted to sleep all day, and the subject gets around to movies: Here she goes: "I saw this movie with Spencer Tracy and Hedy Lamarr. She was going to commit suicide but he stops her and they get married, but they never even kiss until the very end. She's this glamourous person and she's in love with this man who either is married or involved with someone else; anyway, she thinks she loves him but she really doesn't. Tracy is a doctor and he works in the tenements. What I don't understand is how could she be with him, he's so unattractive! How could they get someone as beautiful as Lamarr to be involved with him? Didn't James Stewart do a movie with her, almost the same story? Well, he's certainly better looking than Spencer Tracy. I mean, of course James Stewart is no Tyrone Power but he's better looking than Spencer Tracy. Don't you think so?"

Me: "Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z".

Hi, lafitte. Hope you're having a good weekend and that your legs are doing o.k.

I'm really getting worried about my mother. Does any other 88 year old ponder Henry Fonda as some sort of elderly Lawrence Talbot?

I might create a Frankenstein if I encourage her to write that

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Do you suppose she still has that collection? Did she pass it down to her children?

Mrs. Chip probably did pass it down to her children. But how do those things "keep"??

>

> It's too bad your mom couldn't have met Johnny. I would love to have heard her opinion of him....

She always thought Johnny was a class act. However, she never felt that way about Ed McMahon.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> Bronxie, does your Mom know how MANY foster children she has here on the TCM boards? Cuz I am part of that army.

Chip, you really don't want to be in that army.

It's like boot camp.

> {quote:title=ziggyelman wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > Mom could never remember Dyan Cannon: "Who was the young wife of Cary Grant with the curly hair, Diahann Carroll?"

> >

> > I've never been able to bring myself to watch that HERE COMES MR. JORDAN remake. I don't know what it is, I don't want to see actors in bell bottoms in the 1970's doing this kind of a story.

> >

> > Mom already considers you part of the family.

>

> That would have been something if Cary had married Diahann Carroll in the 60's! ;)

> Its always interesting to compare film memories or stories. It all depends on which one you see first! I saw Heaven Can Wait in the theatres as a kid, and really enjoyed it! Perhaps the only film I have really liked Warren Beatty in(Well, that and *Bugsy* ) Didn't get a chance to see Here Comes Mr. Jordan til many years later, and just thought it was ok. Seeing it again later on, I was able to enjoy it much more. Guess I was expecting too much the first time.

> Always wondered if Warren just ripped off the title from the Don Ameche film???

Hi, ziggy!

Now Cary with Diahann, that's a class act! (not sure about Vic Damone, though, LOL)

I'm not a Warren Beatty fan but I did like him in SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS.

"Here she goes: "I saw this movie with Spencer Tracy and Hedy Lamarr. She was going to commit suicide but he stops her and they get married, but they never even kiss until the very end..."

That whole exchange with your Mom...LOL!!

*("I TAKE THIS WOMAN.")

I loved I Take This Woman! Poor poor Spence - I thought he was charming and warm.... but if mom says he's no good for Hedy, well, then I guess I'll have to revise my opinion....

"he's no Ty Power..." hee hee.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> "Here she goes: "I saw this movie with Spencer Tracy and Hedy Lamarr. She was going to commit suicide but he stops her and they get married, but they never even kiss until the very end..."

>

> That whole exchange with your Mom...LOL!!

>

> *("I TAKE THIS WOMAN.")

I'm always confusing that movie with COME LIVE WITH ME.

Saturday, September 26th. My phone rings.

.Mom: "Oh, you're in. Listen, do we get Showtime?"

Me: "I don't, and you probably don't either. Why?"

Mom: "I saw they're showing PRETTY WOMAN. I like that, I want to see it again."

Me: "Look, even if you did get that channel, there are better movies to watch about prostitutes."

Mom: "Which ones?"

Me: "Well, NIGHTS OF CABIRIA and NEVER ON SUNDAY".

Mom: "Oh, I've seen NEVER ON SUNDAY so many times. Melina Mercouri is ugly. She looks ike a man. Who's in NIGHTS OF CABIRIA?"

Me: (weary already) "You know, the wife of the director, Federico Fellini, the little

actress with the funny face".

Mom: "What's her name?"

Me: "Look, Mom, I was just about to take out the garbage and I want to get in my daily walk before it turns 103 degrees in the shade."

Mom: "You don't have to get so touchy"

Me: "I'm just not in the mood to discuss Julia Roberts right now."