Bronxgirl48

BRONXGIRL'S MOTHER, HENRY FONDA'S HIRSUTENESS, ETC.

5,351 posts in this topic

I'm going to check if THE KILLER BEES are on YouTube.  I wonder if Gloria turns out to be their queen.   I know I'm always referencing the old Outer Limits sci-fi show from the '60's, but do you remember the episode called "ZZZZZZZ?"  (not sure how many "z's", though, lol)  That one always sticks in my mind.  I think you'd take a fancy to "Regina", molo, the beautiful but mysterious young woman who suddenly shows up one day at a scientist's lab and becomes his research assistant.  She has absolutely no references but he hires her nonetheless.  Gee, I wonder why?  The doctor's wife is strangely jealous and fearful of this comely intruder; turns out, she has every reason to bee.  Er, I mean, be.

Maybe your sun porch lizard found a wife and they've slithered off to Arizona.  Your poor head with that frog, and I thought I had problems with a kooky squirrel, lol.   Is he big and ugly, or tiny and cute?  I was watching a jewelry home shopping network where they were selling a lovely topaz-encrusted turtle brooch, and thoughts of Snappy crossed my mind.

As for the puppy-crab, like Mr. Bernstein's young girl in CITIZEN KANE, there isn't a day goes by that I don't think about he/she/it.  Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, lol, but this creature really got to me emotionally.  An ostensible crustacean with the soul of a cute little canine.

Happy Father's Day, everyone.

lafitte, have you taken the virtual London tour yet?  I've got some crumpets you can munch on.

Yes, finally, the whole route (what they could show us). Started slow but got better. Favorites views, Westminster Abbey and Palace, it was even a bit breathtaking, the pictures we've seen becoming alive. I enjoyed the guide talk, some of the stories were interrupted because they had to fast forward I guess, wanted to hear the story of Victoria and Prince Albert that was just getting under way then zap. I may have to do some reading on the Tower, something about how few were executed there, or perhaps talking about royalty, like Jane Boleyn and Jane Gray, etc. Most building not that tall, very narrow streets and most streets were divided, coming in opposite directions, hope those who visit the pubs won't take the wheel, yike! HD too!! Unbelievable how much has happened there, in London over the centuries, the sense of history is palpable, mentions of the early Tudors, gosh so long ago. What a wonderful sense of live presence. Cliche of the century coming up, but yes it really seemed like being there. Architecture is amazing and ungodly beautiful. What is the name of that bridge, just great.

Thanks Barb, delightful ride (despite all the talk about executions and plagues), who needs crumpets, I was too busy watching. How great to find similar rides in big cities in Europe, hmmm. I recommend listening to the tour guide, she has some pizzazz, "yes ladies and gents, now turning to the right and you're going to see the sensational blah blah, the only trouble with it that there is so much see you have to take a whole day," I thought she was kind of exciting,

Whew!

So glad you enjoyed the tour, lafitte!  I just may unmute and actually listen to the guide the next time around.   Almost even more than the historical sights, what I really groove on in this video are the locals walking around, doing their thing, crossing the streets, going shopping, etc.  I can usually tell who the tourists are -- artfully worn scarves seem unknown to them, lol.

That's London Bridge, and thankfully it hasn't fallen down yet.  Like Big Ben, it seemed smaller and somehow less grand and imposing than what we see in movies and documentaries.  More "everyday" in a sense, with all the people milling about, not so "royal". 

There's also a few wonderfully geeky vids of English buses weaving through the neighborhoods.  Fascinating, amusing, check them out!

So glad you enjoyed the tour, lafitte!  I just may unmute and actually listen to the guide the next time around.   Almost even more than the historical sights, what I really groove on in this video are the locals walking around, doing their thing, crossing the streets, going shopping, etc.  I can usually tell who the tourists are -- artfully worn scarves seem unknown to them, lol.

That's London Bridge, and thankfully it hasn't fallen down yet.  Like Big Ben, it seemed smaller and somehow less grand and imposing than what we see in movies and documentaries.  More "everyday" in a sense, with all the people milling about, not so "royal". 

There's also a few wonderfully geeky vids of English buses weaving through the neighborhoods.  Fascinating, amusing, check them out!

I did enjoy I was ramped up. The locals doing ordinary things contrasts heavily with all the history. If I were rich I would have my own personal guide who would lead me around and answer my every question. Okay, what happened on this block in 1852? You could probably look it up. Where did Samuel Pepys live? Okay, show me the exact spot where Jane Boleyn lost her head? Where did Big Henry walk around ...? Where did the London bridges song come from? London bridges falling down, falling down, falling down ... Did this song emanate from the Blitz? No, probably something before.

Anyway, good show, Barb. I see there might be something to all this cyber wunderlust. What's next? How about Paris? Madrid? Or old Vienna? If we can't understand the guide, we can put on Strauss Waltzes.

Woo-hoo ... !!

Hi Bronxie,

I haven't been able to track down Gloria and "The Killer Bees" yet. I seem to vaguely remember that "Outer Limits" episode. I have the whole series on DVD so I will check it out. I haven't watched the show in a long time.

Your poor head with that frog, and I thought I had problems with a kooky squirrel, lol.   Is he big and ugly, or tiny and cute?

He isn't tiny but he's not scary big either. Certainly not the type that would disrupt Ray Milland's July 4th family get together:

Frogs.jpg

He's basically just your average joe frog I guess.

Oh and I did take your virtual tour of London. That was fun! I wonder if I will ever get back over there. I don't think I care for the London Eye though. It looked like those people were just hanging there. It must move really slow I guess. I think I would get claustrophobic.

I went ahead and listened with guide. She was pretty good. I really love all the history there. So many streets and neighborhoods that just trigger my imagination with all that I have read about. Really interesting.

Hey everyone,

I see that The Gazebo is coming up tomorrow (Sunday) at 6:15pm Eastern.

Stuck between The Birds and Godzilla

cfdb2348-7ecd-41e0-bfc2-692a206a361a.jpg

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. A very funny movie and one of my favorites. Glenn Ford is great in this.

OK OK - stop it with all this food chat!  Good grief... it's been HOURS since I had a wee-hour's breakfast, and Wifey's at the shop and called for me to have a 30-min delay in my arrival due to her busy schedule.  That's my lunch date, folks.  Delayed.  I'm STARVING.  So, stop making these posts too interesting to bypass, and too often including food, recipes, etc.  I'M STARVING!!

But jeepers, there are so many wonderful films in just this last page of entries! 

And that's for that GAZEBO poster, Molo, because NOW I've got something for that disk's eventual printing!  Wheee...

molo, now I want to see FROGS, lol!  

You know, there's an Outer Limits episode with Miriam Hopkins as a Baby Jane-ish grotesque waiting for her decades-old suitor who disappeared into a strange box wherein resides something that looks like the froggie you posted.  Some sqat alien thing that also resembles Don Rickles.

I missed THE GAZEBO this time around but have seen bits and pieces of it over the years.  Debbie, Glenn and John McGiver are favorites of mine so I'm hoping to see this in its entirety sometime soon.  I do remember that sweet pigeon Herman, ha! (wonder if it has a pinky ring on its tiny claw)

That London Eye is creepy -- there's something Orwellian about it, like those futuristic scooters people ride around on that remind me of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451.

double post, blast it!

I was watching GODZILLA (AND RODAN) VS. MONSTER ZERO.  Nick Adams in his Japanese phase, good heavens, lol.   Observing the Planet X guys spiriting Godzy and Rodan away in giant bubbles, Adams can't believe his eyes:  "Gedda loada DAT!"

Ha! I have actually not seen many of Godzilla's movies. You can't go wrong with Frogs though. That movie has always creeped me out. I really enjoy Ray Milland in it too.

When I opened the door to the crawl space today froggy was staring up at me from the cinderblock I use as a step to get down in there. I keep most of the gardening stuff down there. Anyway I decided to leave the door open for a while in case he wanted to get out. I thought that he might be trapped in there. Also living down there in the dark all the time I worry he might...um...mutate. He didn't leave so I guess he is happy.

The Gazebo has a lot of funny bits in it so I think you would really like it. 

Have you seen Zotz? I recorded that one the other night. Tom Poston in the lead and a pretty good cast.

Now I have two "Outer Limits" episodes to look for! :)

I have never really cared for the London Eye from an aesthetic point of view.

183421f7-6a77-4c49-a046-4d55eaf9b2f2.jpg

Ollie,

I hope you finally had a good lunch!

!4thdebbiereynolds.jpg

Happy July 4th, everyone!

Doesn't Debbie look adorable, molo?

ZOTZ is one of the few William Castle films I haven't seen, unfortunately. (maybe it's on YouTube)

I think your froggy is a female and she's in love with you.  Kiss her and she might turn into Gloria Grahame!  (which might be more dangerous....)

Enjoy those Outer Limits episodes when you get a chance!

We have finished moving and are in the process of unpacking. Still in beloved City of Angels, Valley edition. Moved from Sherman Oaks to Lake Balboa (no, there is not a lake within walking distance).

Hope everyone is having a wonderful July 4th and I look forward to spending more time with y'all in this thread and in the Mighty Molo's Gloria thread.

A girl can't spend all her time unpacking!

Happy 4th of July!!!!!

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a wonderful July 4th! My niece lives about 3 miles down the road and has a huge annual holiday celebration. Mother Molo wasn't up to attending this year so we sat out on the front porch this evening with a few friends and ate hotdogs and sipped decaf cokes with lemon and chipped ice. From there we watched her fireworks display on the horizon. We could see most of it pretty well despite the trees. So it was actually kind of nice. Then William Faulkner and Tennessee Williams stopped by...NO I'M KIDDING...about Faulkner and Williams anyway... what can I say...It's my life now! :)  

Oh and I changed my picture to Cary Grant from Only Angels Have Wings because it was during that film discussion that a got the nickname MadHat! Everybody hated that hat but me! :D

Bronxie, Debbie is a doll in that  picture. 

ZOTZ is one of the few William Castle films I haven't seen, unfortunately. (maybe it's on YouTube)

I haven't watched it yet. Anything with both Mike Mazurki and Margaret Dumont can't be all bad!

I think your froggy is a female and she's in love with you.  Kiss her and she might turn into Gloria Grahame!  (which might be more dangerous....)

I don't think my luck is that good! :)

Lynn,

I hope you get settled in soon. I will look forward to seeing you around these parts in the future!

Hey Bronxie,

Enjoy those Outer Limits episodes when you get a chance!

Speaking of Gloria, she was in an episode too. I think it was called "The Nesting".  Now that one I do remember! I will be watching them soon.

Hi, Lynn!   Moving is so much fun, isn't it, lol?  But you're still in the Valley, that's good!

Hope the two of you were able to celebrate the 4th in between all that unpacking.

Congrats and blessings on your new home!  I still dream of returning to California.  Santa Barbara is literally calling my name....

Geoff, er, I mean MadHat, Mike and Margaret are in ZOTZ?  That would make it more fun, ha!  (I was watching her in DUCK SOUP this evening.  Hail, Hail
Freedonia!)

That Outer Limits episode with Gloria is called "The Guests".  A group of people get together in a crumbly old house is all I remember, and there's probably an alien around somewhere too I think.  

So sorry your Mom wasn't able to celebrate the 4th with y'all, but it sounds like you had a nice holiday, very charmingly Southern style on the front porch and with lots of chipped ice -- I like your part of the country, especially the food! 

My mother was also under the weather as it were, so I didn't see her on Saturday, but spent a quiet day at home eating fried chicken, potato salad, corn on the cob, apple pie, ice cream, and drinking iced tea.  I nibbled popcorn while watching YANKEE DOODLE DANDY.

We had one of the scariest storms ever this past Friday.  As you may or may not know, Florida is the lightning capital of the United States -- one of the many reasons not to move here, lol.   I was sitting at the computer when a giant ZAP effectively blew out the power in my apartment.  I quickly shut off all electrical sources and "lit" a bunch of flameless candles, quivering on the living room sofa, convinced the place was about to go up in flames.  After forty-five minutes or so it was all over.

Gracious ME, Miss B.. that sounded like quite the storm. We had a nasty round of that too out our way, earlier last week. (Tornado warnings too, with touchdowns less than 10 miles from our house.. but thankfully, no serious damage or injuries from what I heard on the news, other than a few roof tops and a lot of people without electrical power for a while) 

Sorry to hear that Mom is not feeling well. I hope things are better for her very soon. 

(and PS: Molo.. your front porch fireworks show sounds like the next best thing to being there. Glad that you and Mother Molo got to enjoy it, even from down the road a ways) 

Ro, I was thinking about you when the Weather Channel was talking about tornadoes near your neck of the woods, and praying your family wasn't blowing about in the wind and seeing Margaret Hamilton furiously pedaling her bicycle.  So glad to hear everyone is o.k.

Heartfelt thanks on your best wishes for my mother. Unfortunately Mom  has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure and suffered a fluid build-up in her lungs that has her now in the hospital.  It's under control thank God but of course I'm always on pins and needles.  Mom will probably stay the week there and then be transferred to rehab before returning home to her assisted living apartment.   The only thing she doesn't care for is that there is no TCM on the hospital t.v. or at rehab.  

By the way, I was watching a bit of THAT FORSYTHE WOMAN last night.  I love Errol's change-of-pace role as a stuffy aristocrat.   And only at M.G.M. could Robert Young be considered appropriate casting as a "bohemian".

Oh Bronxie. I am so sorry to hear that mom has had such a rough time. That is really rough thing for her to have to go through so am glad to hear they got it back under control. Will be sure to pray that she rests comfortably and continues to improve, kiddo. 

We are all a-ok here.. but did have another round of bad weather again last night for a time. The sirens went off again (but only for a short time) thought I don't think the really bad weather was as close to us this time as it was last time.. but woo.. there were several really bad "pop up" storms w/ a lot of cloud rotation all happening at the same time last night about supper time so tornado warnings were going off all over the KC metro area. I don't think there was much damage on the ground this time around though, as there was last week.. 

whew.. it's been a bit of a whacky summer, that is for sure. 

I was watching a bit of THAT FORSYTHE WOMAN last night.  I love Errol's change-of-pace role as a stuffy aristocrat.   And only at M.G.M. could Robert Young be considered appropriate casting as a "bohemian".

I have only seen movie once, but i do remember him in it. That wasn't a role that you would suddenly think of for him to be sure. I think that whole movie surprised me. I did not expect it to be so serious (or sad.. in places) for some reason. ha. I still remembered, just from the title, that I expected it to be some light-hearted romantic comedy the first time I heard of it. Silly me. :) 

Bronxie,

So sorry to hear this about your mom but I'm glad they have it under control. I hope she will be better very soon. I understand about the pins and needles. I'm keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

The only thing she doesn't care for is that there is no TCM on the hospital t.v. or at rehab.

Poor thing! Maybe you can bring her some dvd's and play them on a laptop or something.

We have been having some bad storms here as well but I don't think we get them as frequently and rarely with the intensity as you all get down in Florida or in Ro's part of the country.

That Outer Limits episode with Gloria is called "The Guests".  A group of people get together in a crumbly old house is all I remember, and there's probably an alien around somewhere too I think.

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't know where I got "The Nesting" from. Ha!

Barb, you may be aware of this already, but portable DVD players can be bought for about $70 that work well. Only problem, it's a small screen, so depending on you mom's eyesight ... I have one that I use (sneakily) at work and the quality is not bad and the sound is a little tinny but still sounds rather good. That little player has better sound than my laptop which amazes me. It's easy to use and any earphones will plug into them, if that is needed. They might not let her have that in the hospital but Assisted Living would be good, or does she have better equipment there? When fully charged it will run a good two hours. You may be aware of all this already, just sayin'

The best to your mom, I'm not a pray-er but I am adept at sending out good vibes, which I will do. Hope for a speedy recovery. Tell her we want her to watch those movies and provide us with those wonderful quips we love to hear via your own person.

laffite

Hey there Bronxie,

Hope things are going well with you and your mom!

I've been weeding the flower beds this evening. Mom was in a chair watching. She started bending over from the chair to try and help. It went okay for a while but she accidentally pulled up a huge vinca by the roots. She just started crying! Oh my! She gets so frustrated with herself!

I told her it was fine. I put it back in the ground. Vincas are very hardy anyway and they usually have a lot of baby vincas so it's not like one will be missed. I know it wasn't just about the vinca though.

We ended up sitting on the porch eating watermelon. It was so hot and humid tonight. Not the breath of a breeze. She started telling stories from the old days so it was nice.

I watched Burnt Offerings last night. Not exactly my usual fare but it was pretty good. Nice cast too. Bette Davis, Eileen Heckart, Burgess Meredith, Olver Reed. I've always had this thing for Karen Black. It must be something about the eyes!

a2636cd6250cc03c81aefb3c391eefa11504680.

I liked that is was mainly just an old fashioned ghost story.

Oh, by the way, my sister is heading off to London next week!

Wish I could go too! :)

• Like 2

Ro, thanks for your best wishes.  Mom returned to her assisted living home from rehab this morning, and so far is feeling o.k.    As a huge Shirley Temple fan, she's loving TCM's tribute!

Humid as Hades around here -- sometimes the a/c runs at work, most of the time, hardly ever.

Ants and cockroaches are taking over our school. 

More on these infestations later...

Thanks for your concern, Swithin.

Holy Nostalgia!   Love, love, love that article!   The Bronx is never far from my heart, as I know it isn't from yours.  This borough still needs more recognition!   Everything is always Brooklyn, Brooklyn, Brooklyn, lol.   I'm an Anthony Bourdain fan, but his Bronx excursion left so much to be desired.

• Like 1