bansi4

*CANDIDS* 2

12,397 posts in this topic

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}I have enjoyed much of the work of everybody on the list today and am pleased most of them are around to get the praise.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}I'm glad I waited until late to view this as Bruce Gordon's-a/k/a Frank Nitti-pic would have scared me out of my wits this morning. I don't know what he was like for real but he was so menacing on *The Untouchables* that we kids would cringe when he came on. That's one guy Billy Mumy's Anthony could have sent to the cornfield and it would have really been “a very good thing”.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}Thanks for remembering Nancy Gates and Andrea King. They were always believable in whatever role they played. I've never seen Clark Gable and Stuart Whitman look better.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Photobucket

BO HOPKINS is 70 today

Photobucket

ELAINE STRITCH is 87 today

Photobucket

BONITA GRANVILLE (1923 - 1988)

Photobucket

FRANK ALBERTSON (1909 - 1964)

Photobucket

CONNIE GILCHRIST (1901 - 1985)

Photobucket

S.Z. SAKALL (1884 - 1955)

Photobucket

Birthday boy S.Z. Sakall and his wife Elisabeth becoming American citizens in Los Angeles on December 13, 1946.

I know they've featured "Cuddles" Sakall in one of those "What a Character" segments on TCM, but if they've never done one on today's birthday girl Connie Gilchrist, I think she'd also be an excellent choice for one.

Photobucket

A beaming Marlon Brando, Joanne Woodward, Anna Magnani, director Sidney Lumet and cinematographer Boris Kaufman on the set of "The Fugitive Kind"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Photobucket

MARY CARLISLE is 100 today

Photobucket

VICTOR BUONO (1938 - 1982)

Photobucket

SUZAN BALL (1934 - 1955)

Photobucket

PEGGY ANN GARNER (1932 - 1984)

Photobucket

JOHN FIEDLER (1925 - 2005)

Photobucket

Birthday gal Suzan Ball with husband Richard Long in hospital after amputation of her leg due to cancer

What a beautiful picture of new Americans, the Sakalls. Like Rocky, they believed that America was still the land of opportunity.

I also loved Connie Gilchrist since I saw her on the Long John Silver series with Robert Newton. One reason I prefer the 1940's Little Women is that you get to see both Ellen Corby and her; that's a real 2-fer.

Edited by: wouldbestar on Feb 3, 2012 9:01 PM

Salmi was a fine actor.It's sad to think after his divorce from Garner, he married his second wife Roberta. In 1990 after a separation they were found shot to death. Police surmised he killed her then himself..

{font:}{color:black}Thank you for showing us that unlike the character she played on that *Twilight Zone* episode, Number 12 Looks Just Like Me, Collin Wilcox was a very attractive woman. I always liked that she went by Wilcox-Horn during her marriage; I'm supposing it didn't last.{font}

{font:}{color:black}The William Talman looks like it was from *Underworld USA.* There were times when he made us like Hamilton Burger on *Perry Mason* which shows why he was such a good actor. {font}

Edited by: wouldbestar on Feb 4, 2012 5:25 PM

Photobucket

An elated Ernest Borgnine holds the best film and actor New York Film Critics awards won by "Marty"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Photobucket

CHARLOTTE RAMPLING is 66 today

Photobucket

TIM HOLT (1919 - 1973)

Photobucket

RED BUTTONS (1919 - 2006)

Photobucket

WILLARD PARKER (1912 - 1996)

Photobucket

PEG ENTWISTLE (1908 - 1932)

Photobucket

DAISY & VIOLET HILTON (1908 - 1932)

Photobucket

JOHN CARRADINE (1906 - 1988)

I just finished an interesting biography of Daisy and Violet Hilton. I believe they lived until around New Year's Eve 1968, or perhaps into 1969. Their bodies were not discovered until a few days had passed, so the exact time of their death is unknown. One of the twins was believed to have died at least 2 to 4 days before the other. They were living in a trailer in North Carolina and working in a grocery store produce department, weighing vegetables. They had been abandoned after a personal appearance at a local drive-in theater. A kind man and his wife gave them the job and a place to live. Flu was the cause of death. Fascinating story!

Photobucket

Camera enthusiast Wallace Beery takes a snapshot of Elizabeth Taylor on the set of "A Date with Judy"

My error. There was a male actor with the last name of Horn when she began being billed as Collin Wilcox-Horn and I assumed she had married him. That is who I meant. Do you mean Bill Paxton? If not, who?

Star, she did use Collin Wilcox Horne when she was married to the actor Geoffrey Horne. Her last husband was Scott Paxton and she used his last name too up until her death.

I worked with her daughter-in-law in the late '90's up until 2005. She was using the Paxton name at that time. Her one time husband, Geoffrey Horne, was in The Bridge On The River Kwai. He was listed in the credits at the beginning of the movie as "Intoducing Geoffrey Horne." Apparently they thought he was going to be a big star. Obviously that didn't happen.