bansi4

*CANDIDS* 2

12,397 posts in this topic

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM_zpsv7cy

Birthday boy Gary Cooper with his ;lover Patricia Neal. Shame on them.

What a beautiful couple.

(And I can't stand to look at Lex Barker anyway.)

• Like 1

HAPPY BIRTHDAYMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM_z

Birthday pair Albert Finney and Glenda Jackson are both 80 today

• Like 4

Lex Barker, alleged child molester.  Either he lied or Cheryl Crane did. She was very explicit, and Lana Turner threw him out as soon as she found out.

He was also very anti-Semitic.  In Kirk Douglas's autobio he tells about encountering Barker at a fancy party soon after his arrival in Hollywood.  Barker, who came from Eastern society and had no idea Douglas was Jewish, made some comments about them being allowed in places he'd rather they weren't.  Douglas didn't say anything to him then but never forgot the incident.  He got his revenge by becoming the star he is while Barker ended up doing "Kraut Westerns" in Germany. 

As for the assertion above, legally he's innocent as he was never proven guilty.  Cheryl was a minor so if he actually did what she claimed it's despicable even if she knew more about "that" than I probably do now. 

What a beautiful couple.

(And I can't stand to look at Lex Barker anyway.)

The photo of Pat and Gary seems to have been taken during the making of THE FOUNTAINHEAD 1949. Later in life Pat became friends with Gary`s daughter Maria. She apologized for her three year affair with Gary, but I have always thought that he was the love of her life.Roald Dahl, Pat`s husband, wasn`t the easiest person to live with. He never got over the death of their first child Olivia from measles.

It was a few years back that I saw this documentary on the PBS called Bright Leaves. It was made by a descendant of the tobacco family that the original book,Bright Leaf, was based on. Of course, Cooper and Pat Neal co-starred in the Bright Leaf movie based on that book. It was a well-received documentary.

The reason I'm talking about it is that there was some kind of event or film festival in the area where this film took place and Patricia Neal came back to participate in it.

She was interviewed in this documentary; and she talked on and on, very openly affectionately, about how Gary Cooper was the love of her life. It was very enlightening.

It was a few years back that I saw this documentary on the PBS called Bright Leaves. It was made by a descendant of the tobacco family that the original book,Bright Leaf, was based on. Of course, Cooper and Pat Neal co-starred in the Bright Leaf movie based on that book. It was a well-received documentary.

The reason I'm talking about it is that there was some kind of event or film festival in the area where this film took place and Patricia Neal came back to participate in it.

She was interviewed in this documentary; and she talked on and on, very openly affectionately, about how Gary Cooper was the love of her life. It was very enlightening.

I saw her Private Interview with Robert Osbourne and she talked about how after she had a stroke, Cooper's daughter contacted her.

• Like 1

I am a Finney fan. I wish he had made more than one Poirot movie.  Murder on the Orient Express was excellent.  He felt his fans could not recognize him under all that make-up.

I am a Finney fan. I wish he had made more than one Poirot movie.  Murder on the Orient Express was excellent.  He felt his fans could not recognize him under all that make-up.

I enjoyed Albert`s performances in TWO FOR THE ROAD 1967,  SHOOT THE MOON 1982,ANNIE 1982, and ERIN BROCKOVICH 2000. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

a0273cf5-1603-422f-9402-4fa8c03c8406_zps

MAX STEINER  (1888 - 1971)

b542f4a4-6ae7-4177-81cc-774ca49264f3_zps

DIMITRI TIOMKIN  (1894 - 1979)

• Like 2

Thank you for the Dimitri Tiomkin photo.  He's my all-time favorite film composer and It's nice to see what he looked like. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

a0273cf5-1603-422f-9402-4fa8c03c8406_zps

MAX STEINER (1888 - 1971)

" The Father of Film Music"

He was most noted for these movie scores:

Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, Now Voyager and King Kong

The score for Gone With the Wind is ranked number two on the AFI list.

Steiner won an Oscar for his Now Voyager score, as well the scores for The Informer and Since You Went Away. He was nominated 24 times for the Oscar.

He scored movies for Warner Brothers starting with The Charge of the Light Brigade, 1936 to Two on the Guillotine, 1965.

Prior to that he was the Music Director at RKO, where he composed music for Katharine Hepburn movies and conducted the orchestra for Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers' musicals.

He composed scores for over 300 movies at these two Studios.

• Like 4

Thanks for the info, Princess, Max Steiner is my favorite film composer especially for GWTW and The treasure of Sierra Madre, He should have won more Oscars.

Composer Dimitri Tiomkin excelled with his Oscar winning score for The High and the Mighty.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Charlie Chaplin poses with Sophia Loren and birthday gal Margaret Rutherford, who plays the hypochondriac Miss Gaulswallow in "A Countess from Hong Kong"

• Like 1

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Birthday gal Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy in a promotional photo for their last film together Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (1967)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

c9f018d2-b8b9-4df1-bd87-1a1154377afa_zps

JOSEPH COTTEN  (1905 - 1994)

JOSEPH WISENAN  (1918 - 2009)a5fb67e9-b853-47a8-9d78-c258534b17ac_zps

• Like 1