bansi4

*CANDIDS* 2

12,397 posts in this topic

OOOOOOOOOO_zpsxmus27cd.jpg

Birthday girl Virginia Grey and the love of her life Clark Gable.

She never married.

None of Clark Gable's five wives ever remarried. (Yes, I know, Carole Lombard doesn't count.) But still, he must have really been something!

None of Clark Gable's five wives ever remarried. (Yes, I know, Carole Lombard doesn't count.) But still, he must have really been something!

Well one could view that fact in two very different ways;    yea,  after being married to Gable,  these women didn't every wish to be married to a man ever again, to ensure they don't end up married to another jack-a like Gable!

• Like 1

Well one could view that fact in two very different ways;    yea,  after being married to Gable,  these women didn't every wish to be married to a man ever again, to ensure they don't end up married to another jack-a like Gable!

I must say you have a point there. Carole Lombard used to joke that Gable was a "lousy lay."

I must say you have a point there. Carole Lombard used to joke that Gable was a "lousy lay."

Reading about the making of Gone With the Wind,  all the ladies were charmed by Leslie Howard and not by Gable who was very insecure.    It is my understanding that Lombard helped Gable mature and that they were a strong, loving couple because she wasn't going to be dominated.

• Like 1

She probably was joking; Gable couldn't have been too bad - he and Joan Crawford had an affair off-and-on for years.

• Like 1

She probably was joking; Gable couldn't have been too bad - he and Joan Crawford had an affair off-and-on for years.

I read in some bio book -do not remember which one,read too many,- Gable and Cooper were missionary only!

• Like 1

From the horse's mouth himself - - Clark Gable often said that he preferred to be with ugly women or should we say plain ones because-- he said --they seem to be so much more grateful than the others. You can make of that what you will.

From the horse's mouth himself - - Clark Gable often said that he preferred to be with ugly women or should we say plain ones because-- he said --they seem to be so much more grateful than the others. You can make of that what you will.

Maybe that was his preference but that so called theory clearly doesn't apply to Young or Lombard.

Maybe that was his preference but that so called theory clearly doesn't apply to Young or Lombard.

Gable only married beautiful women (except his first wife) and when single was only seen in public with willowy model types. But he had a reputation of not being very choosy about the women he had casual flings with in private, and there were many. Script girls, sales clerks - he didn't care.

Not true - Gable's first two wives were quite older and were hardly ravishing beauties. But they were Stepping Stones to his career. The first wife was his drama and acting coach and the second one was his key to society.

The next three wives were independently wealthy - - one of the reasons I thought he never married Virginia Grey was that she had no money.

Clark Gable never married a woman unless he could get some kind of an advantage from her. Joan Crawford wrote in her autobiography that they were the perfect match-- and maybe they were considering how mercenary and blinded by self-interest, ambition they both were. Arguably a result of how they came up in life.

In terms of him with the plain and/or the ugly women - - of course, I'm talking about strictly non-romantic sexual encounters. That would imply that he had some kind of insecurities.

• Like 1

It's true, Princess,  Ria Langham Gable was not movie-star beautiful. She had a matronly look but was far from homely. She must have been a striking beauty in her younger years.

I was thinking of including her in my original post but gave her a break because I'm an older woman myself. :)  And it's also absolutely true that Gable would only marry women who were financially independent. I think he must have been really insecure about money after having struggled so hard to get to the top.

Here's Ria:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/news-photo/515421632#clark-gable-and-wife-at-trocadero-cafe-picture-id515421632

• Like 1

It's true, Princess, Ria Langham Gable was not movie-star beautiful. She had a matronly look but was far from homely. She must have been a striking beauty in her younger years.

I was thinking of including her in my original post but gave her a break because I'm an older woman myself. :) And it's also absolutely true that Gable would only marry women who were financially independent. I think he must have been really insecure about money after having struggled so hard to get to the top.

Here's Ria:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/news-photo/515421632#clark-gable-and-wife-at-trocadero-cafe-picture-id515421632

Midge--

At this stage of the game, we're all mature and still beautiful women.

There nothing wrong with Ria,if she had been married to a man her own age. In the minds of the MGM executives, they were very concerned as to how this marriage would look to his fans. However, no two ways about it, Ria really was a classy Lady.

There was something that Carole Lombard always repeated that made me think that Gable was just cheap or maybe he had worked very hard for his money and that's just the way it was.

Gable was going to have to give Ria about all his savings in order to get a divorce. And he simply refused to do that until MGM forced him to get married because of bad publicity.

Then after he married Carole, she had to demand that he support his dad because not doing so would not only be bad publicity, but generally in poor taste. She literally had to kick his *** every week to get him to sign those support checks.

• Like 1

Midge--

At this stage of the game, we're all mature and still beautiful women.

There nothing wrong with Ria,if she had been married to a man her own age. In the minds of the MGM executives, they were very concerned as to how this marriage would look to his fans. However, no two ways about it, Ria really was a classy Lady.

There was something that Carole Lombard always repeated that made me think that Gable was just cheap or maybe he had worked very hard for his money and that's just the way it was.

Gable was going to have to give Ria about all his savings in order to get a divorce. And he simply refused to do that until MGM forced him to get married because of bad publicity.

Then after he married Carole, she had to demand that he support his dad because not doing so would not only be bad publicity, but generally in poor taste. She literally had to kick his *** every week to get him to sign those support checks.

How interesting! I knew that Gable was under pressure by the studio to make his relationship with Lombard legal and that the divorce from Ria was expensive. Supposedly MGM advanced him money for the divorce as a bonus for agreeing to play Rhett Butler. But I hadn't heard those details about how cheap he was. I believe it absolutely, though, because people who are born poor but fight their way to the top are often like that. Thanks, Princess of Tap! And yes, we mature women can be beautiful, too.

• Like 1

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

OOOOOOOO_zps8awny8el.jpg

DORIS DAY is 95 today

OOOOOOOOOO_zpsrxhfbmtk.gif

MARLON BRANDO  (1924 - 2004)

690ce925-ff93-403a-a696-988eb8f3f042_zps

JAN STERLING  (1921 - 2004)

• Like 1