Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

?The Phenix City Story? Friday PM 9/25

40 posts in this topic

Even though it's outside the scope of the movie, I find it hard not to think that many of

the upstanding folks fighting against political corruption were most likely segregationists

too. Hard to watch a movie about Alabama in the 1950s and not think of that.

> {quote:title=Blooz wrote:}{quote}

> I found this to be a terrific film, I'd love to see it again very soon.

This was one of the best B pictures I?ve ever seen.

Once the introduction was over, and the film started, the pace began to pick up and it was relentless all the rest of the way through.

I like the fact that the main actors didn?t try to fake a Southern accent. That made it seem like it could have been any small town in the US. Also, I?m glad the plot stuck to the reality that the crooks were all local people and not a bunch of Mafia New Yorkers.

Phil Karlson?s 1952 film, ?Scandal Sheet? was very good too.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Blooz wrote:}{quote}

> > I found this to be a terrific film, I'd love to see it again very soon.

>

> This was one of the best B pictures Ive ever seen.

>

> Once the introduction was over, and the film started, the pace began to pick up and it was relentless all the rest of the way through.

>

> I like the fact that the main actors didnt try to fake a Southern accent. That made it seem like it could have been any small town in the US. Also, Im glad the plot stuck to the reality that the crooks were all local people and not a bunch of Mafia New Yorkers.

>

> Phil Karlsons 1952 film, Scandal Sheet was very good too.

Fred, I totally agree, it was a great night of films! I also loved THE BROTHERS RICO, and even dug LADIES OF THE CHORUS, though I kept waiting for some kind of crime sub-plot, gangsters at the Burlesque show or something! :)

Fred, I also enjoyed hearing of your stories when you were a cameraman. Very interesting! Thanks, man!

Loved *The Phenix City Story* and the entire cast.

Here's an amazing bit of trivia.... One of the writers was Crane Wilbur, the leading man of the 1914 serial *The Perils of Pauline* with Pearl White! He continued acting up through the mid-30s.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> On the Waterfront broke the code rule about no cursing.

But there's a few "hells" and "damns" in Death of a Salesman (1951).

More the Merrier (1943) got away with "Damn" a few times because it was always in the context of the quote from Admiral Farragut, "Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead" - and they even the showed the quote on the statue of Farragut in DC.

I think Battleground (1949) had a "damn" in it.

At the end of the film we see the National Guard moving in, destroying the slot machines...but the criminals were shown driving away. Was anybody ever prosecuted for any of the criminal activity in Phenix City? Not even the Phenix City wikipedia page says anything about this.

> {quote:title=karlofffan wrote:}{quote}

> At the end of the film we see the National Guard moving in, destroying the slot machines...but the criminals were shown driving away. Was anybody ever prosecuted for any of the criminal activity in Phenix City? Not even the Phenix City wikipedia page says anything about this.

I don't know if anyone was prosecuted or not.

It must be at least 40 years since I've seen this movie, and I still was able to remember most of it. It packs a wallop. I don't recall seeing the prologue before, so that part was probably edited out for television back in the 1960s, as I'm sure the "n" word probably was. This movie was ahead of its time.

Phil Karlson also directed Walking Tall. I wonder if he was drawn to that project because of the similarities to The Phenix City Story.

I saw this film once before, maybe 15 or 20 years ago. It must have been on the old AMC. I don't remember the news reporter's introduction.

Maltin's guide says the movie was sometimes shown without the 13-min. prologue.

I'm glad TCM showed the full & uncut version of the movie. What surprised me was that there was a brand-new WB shield at the beginning of the movie. Wonder why they put it in there.