Sign in to follow this  
kingrat

Where Danger Lives

12 posts in this topic

Did anyone else see WHERE DANGER LIVES? A very solid noir. If you're a Robert Mitchum fan, he's never looked better. Director John Farrow knows how to bring out that special Mitchum quality, and the camera lingers on his face, just as it does on the lovely Faith Domergue. She's a pretty good actress. Too bad this wasn't the prelude to a big career. Mitchum and a disturbed woman who turns out to be more than he bargained for: there's a good combination for you. Claude Rains actually has only one scene, and he's a bit hammy, but it's enjoyable anyway. John Farrow delivers the noir shadows and angles.

I remember watching Where Danger Lives on TCM even before it had been released on DVD. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I ever checked out the DVD of it. Did it have an audio commentary?

In any event, the movie itself is a great noir, arguably second only to Out of the Past as far as Mitchum noirs go. Very well done, with a great performance by Mitchum and great support from Rains - in spite of his little screen time, he uses every second for maximum impact.

Also, I think John Farrow is very underrated as a noir director.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> I remember watching Where Danger Lives on TCM even before it had been released on DVD. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I ever checked out the DVD of it. Did it have an audio commentary?

Yep. Alain Silver & James Ursini.

Just got this movie from Netflix. Wow! If you're a fan of the genre and haven't seen this terrific example, drop what you're doing. This one has everything going for it. OK, I'm a sucker for "on the run" stories. Never seen one I didn't like. But the direction is precise and spellbinding. I'm not terribly familiar with Farrow's work, aside from Mia. If this is representative, I should pay more attention. The story is dark and unpredictable. Some things happen along their journey I would never have expected. Like all good noir, the characters and their situation deteriorate into a sad shadow of what might have been.

I had seen part of the movie before. But I didn't remember the title. I'm glad to have had a second look, and encourage others to do the same.

I am so glad that TCM runs Where Danger Lives now and then. I perk up every time i notice that it is coming on TCM again. I have been infatuated with Faith Domergue since 1993 and love to look at her and watch her scheme and cause trouble in noirs and westerns. Do your thing, Faith.

I have a DVD of Where Danger Lives that also has the movie Tension (Richard Basehart) both are excellent noirs and the movies both have commentary. I rate Where Danger Lives about equal with Angel Face, kind of the same story and Jean Simmons is really a scary gal in that one.

I have a DVD of Where Danger Lives that also has the movie Tension

Two darn good crime stories. That Basehart made some offbeat choices.

For me as a kid, Richard Basehart was Admiral Nelson in Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea. Years later I "discovered" his early films. He seemed to specialize in troubled characters.

Edited by: mrroberts on Mar 29, 2010 5:53 PM