Sign in to follow this  
Sandra636

Best Actor of the 20th Century

65 posts in this topic

This has probably been asked a thousand times, but I'm new to the Board and I'm curious who peole think was the best actor of the 20th century. The Charles Laughton thread got me thinking. (He would be in my top 5)

Well, my top five are Charles Laughton, Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, Paul Muni ...and the Oscar goes to Spencer Tracy. He made it look so easy. An honorary mention for Paul Newman.

My top 5 in no order

LAURENCE OLIVIER

FREDRIC MARCH

RICHARD BURTON

CHARLIE CHAPLIN

CHARLES LAUGHTON

A few names to consider; Burt Lancaster, Henry Fonda, Edward G Robinson. I can't choose just one, applaud the consideration for Charles Laughton though.

Man this is tough. Except for numero uno, it can change....

1. Spencer Tracey

2. Humphrey Bogart

3. Gary Cooper

4. James Stewart

5. Henry Fonda

6. Frank Sinatra

All of those who have been listed are great, but I can't believe no one has put James Cagney on the list. So, I will.

Marlon Brando. When I heard Brando say , "man, you are too square"...I realized I+ was too square. That movie moment changed my life. Brando is good+.

Rusty

I have to echo all those who wrote MARLON BRANDO

For the ones still living, I will name Jack Nicholson, Morgan Freeman, Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, Denzel Washington and Al Pacino

For the 20th Century, Spencer Tracy.

For the 21st Century, Muammar Gaddafi, for his brilliant performance as a brain-addled incomprehensible moron.

Marlon Brando overall because of his influence on film acting, followed closely by Spencer Tracey, Bette Davis and Meryl Streep. You can trace almost everybody else in film back to them.

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> For the 20th Century, Spencer Tracy.

>

> For the 21st Century, Muammar Gaddafi, for his brilliant performance as a brain-addled incomprehensible moron.

What's your favorite pair o' Ds?

I think Paul Newman was the underrated actor of our time. He had it all. I forgot James Cagney, especially his performance in Yankee Doodle Dandy. My favorite movie of all time. And Burt Lancaster for sure. He was so intense in everything. Anybody ever see Come Back, Little Sheba? His performance was phenomenal. Nobody mentioned Kirk Douglas. (But John Wayne???)

I think Paul Newman was the underrated actor of our time. He had it all. I forgot James Cagney, especially his performance in Yankee Doodle Dandy. My favorite movie of all time. And Burt Lancaster for sure. He was so intense in everything. Anybody ever see Come Back, Little Sheba? His performance was phenomenal. Nobody mentioned Kirk Douglas. (But John Wayne???)