Sign in to follow this  
filmlover

*TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL HOLLYWOOD 2010*

81 posts in this topic

This is not only WONDERFUL news, but a breath of fresh air on a cold day!

Yesterday I tried to purchase what looks to be a superb release from Warner (50th Anniversary "North By Northwest" Blu-Ray) and my local Columbus,OH Target ordered 0 and the Barnes & Noble down the way...ordered 1.

The mentality of buyers who fill the shelves with "I Love You Beth Cooper", "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and "Taking of Pelham 123", but not "North By Northwest" baffles me.

NBNW is not a run of the mill film by any stretch and the director is perhaps known in most households.

Anyway...Thanks TCM for this news...I hope to pack up and head West as you fling open the doors to Grauman's and the other venues where at least for a moment in time we will celebrate

classic films on the big screen! YES!

Edited by: cubswin1984 on Nov 4, 2009 11:34 AM

Just got the e mail. Wished I still lived on El Cerrito and Franklin Ave, one block from LaBrea like I did when I lived there in the 70's. I could have walked to all the locals. Maybe I'll hit the lottery and fly back to the old neighbor hood.... Roosevelt Hotel is where they hosted the first Academy Awards, I'm sure you all know that.Marilyn lived there when she was modeling as did Montgomery Cliff. Both are said to haunt the rooms they lived in. If you go, have a great time....

*Company's coming?*

*I've gotta start cleaning.*

No worries, Chief. I'll help!

Looking forward to meeting all the out-of-town TCM fans in April!

Lzcutter just over the hill from Hollywood

I'm thrilled by this news. It reminds me of the Filmex festivals in Century City my dad took me to when I was a teenager. I saw Olivia deHavilland and Loretta Young in person...and attended round-the-clock marathons of musicals one year and Oscar winners the next. (Sounds crazy, but this was in the '70s before VHS, let alone cable TV, DVDs, or TCM! It was a lot of fun.) I remember sitting near Mel Torme at one of the screenings. :)

I'm looking forward to hearing more! I live in Orange County so it will be very doable for me as long as it's affordable.

• Like 1

*It reminds me of the Filmex festivals in Century City my dad took me to when I was a teenager. I saw Olivia deHavilland and Loretta Young in person...and attended round-the-clock marathons of musicals one year and Oscar winners the next. (Sounds crazy, but this was in the '70s before VHS, let alone cable TV, DVDs, or TCM! It was a lot of fun.)*

Laura,

Filmex at the old Plitt theaters in Century City! The 24 hour marathons! The stars! Ron Haver and the Garys! the fun!

This has to be at least as fun as our memories of Filmex. For the record, I was in college back then and we waited all year for Filmex.

It was the coolest.

Despite the various Los Angeles Film Festivals, there has been nothing like the old Filmex.

Till now.

I can't wait!

Hi Lynn,

So great to know someone else has the same memories of Filmex. :) I was sad when those Plitt Theaters were torn down -- so many great movie memories were made there.

Ron Haver was just the greatest. My family spent a lot of time at LACMA on the weekends when I was a teen. My favorite memory is the time he announced that a movie had arrived at the museum missing a reel, but someone in the audience had saved the day by going home and getting their personal copy out of their garage!

Perhaps we'll meet come April!

Best wishes,

Laura

*My family spent a lot of time at LACMA on the weekends when I was a teen.*

When Ron Haver was coordinating the films at LACMA in the 1980s, I was in the audience on weekends more often than I can count.

I suspect we may have met in passing back then.

Will be good to meet in person!

In Robert Osborne's brief promo for the TCM Film Festival, we can see images from a few films in the background. Presumably, these films will be among the ones shown at the festival. To the far left we can clearly see Judy Garland in A Star Is Born. Peter O'Toole as Lawrence of Arabia is also visible. Has anyone identified the others?

*"In Robert Osborne's brief promo for the TCM Film Festival, we can see images from a few films in the background. Presumably, these films will be among the ones shown at the festival. To the far left we can clearly see Judy Garland in A Star Is Born."* - kingrat

Did you see this on the channel or is it a video on the website?

And I wonder what could make *A Star Is Born* so special as to be presented at the first TCM Film Festival?

Hmmmm?

Kyle In Hollywood

From the "TCM Movie News" pages -

http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index/?cid=276613

*Turner Classic Movies Invites Fans to Join the Network in Hollywood In Spring 2010 for First-Ever TCM Classic Film Festival*

Turner Classic Movies, the authority in classic film, will stage the network?s first film festival April 22-25, 2010, in the heart of Hollywood. The TCM Classic Film Festival will be a landmark celebration of the history of Hollywood and its movies, presented in a way that only TCM can, with major events, celebrity appearances and screenings of classic movies. The network is inviting fans from around the country to join this new festival and share their passion for classic film.

TCM will be partnering with Vanity Fair magazine ? creator of the Penguin book Vanity Fair?s Tales of Hollywood, edited by Graydon Carter ? to bring the book to life. Writers from the magazine, along with actors and filmmakers, will tell behind-the-scenes stories of many of Hollywood?s greatest films.

In addition, the TCM Classic Film Festival will honor the nation?s pre-eminent organization devoted to preserving Hollywood?s legacy, The Film Foundation, which will be celebrating its 20th year of preserving and restoring classic films. Several films restored by The Film Foundation will be showcased at the festival.

Hollywood has put its own spin on the movie industry over the years, from escapist musicals to downbeat film noirs. Because there has been no greater subject for Hollywood to explore than Hollywood itself, the festival will highlight some of the best films from this category.

As TCM examines Hollywood?s history, the influence of foreign-language films on American filmmaking also will be explored. The festival will screen important film imports that have had an unquestionable impact on the direction Hollywood has taken. TCM also is proud to offer a sneak peek into the network?s most ambitious original programming effort to date, Moguls and Movie Stars, a multi-part documentary about the history of the Hollywood film industry. The project, co-produced by Bill Haber?s Ostar Productions, is slated to premiere on the network in fall 2010.

The TCM Classic Film Festival will be held Thursday, April 22, through Sunday, April 25, 2010, in Hollywood. Festival passes will go on sale Wednesday, Nov. 18, at www.tcm.com/festival. Prices will range from $500 to $1,200 for four-day passes.

Kyle In Hollywood

I caught the Film Festival promo just before the start of *Mogambo* ealier tonight. Very nice looking piece announcing the Festival. Quite classy. But I hope it was all done in an Atlanta studio. If my "TCM Friends" were in my neighborhood and didn't give a call, I'll be really sad.

While I would have been shocked if Robert Osborne wasn't the host of the Festival, I also hope there is a role for Ben Mankiewicz in the festivities next spring.

*I just got a look at those pass prices!* - cinemafan

They're stuck in my throat right now too.

Kyle In Hollywood

*I just got a look at those pass prices! - cinemafan*

*They're stuck in my throat right now too. - kyle*

Wow, those four day passes prices are high.

Hopefully there will be al a carte pricing.

I'm sure there are films in the line-up I want to see on the big screen (ASIB being one of them, haven't seen it on the big screen since it's restoration in the 1980s) but the panels, that's where my heart lies.

Bill Wellman, Jr? Dobie Carey? Karen Ryan? A girl can dream.........

Mr6,

Don't get discouraged by the prices just yet. I would say wait until after the 18th and then decide. If prices remain steep for all the passes, then be discouraged.

But hopefully, TCM realizes that the economy is still tough, that people are still trying to make ends meet and the prices will be more reflective of trying to include everyone rather than just the high-end people who can afford high-end all inclusive passes.

Those pass prices surprised me...I attended Disney's D23 Expo in September and was expecting comparable pricing...D23 was well under $150 for a four-day pass.

I could see $200 or even $250 for four days...but the prices suggested in the article just aren't realistic, especially if more than one person in a family wants to attend.

Hopefully there will be other options which make more financial sense...