Sign in to follow this  
filmlover

*TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL HOLLYWOOD 2010*

81 posts in this topic

*Hopefully there will be other options which make more financial sense...*

Laura,

I agree. Many people who love TCM live outside Southern California and they will have to incur airfare, lodging and food in their budget and the high ticket prices.

Those ticket prices make it all but impossible for fans of the channel to be able to come to the festival.

Cinecon, which happens every Labor Day at the Egyptian, charges $185 for their passes and that includes a banquet.

I keep hoping those prices quoted in the press release are a typo.

*"Hopefully there will be other options which make more financial sense..."* - moviefanlaura

I wonder if those prices also include hotel/lodging? The Roosevelt is a "participating venue", after all and has a financial interest in getting the rooms booked along with the passes for the screenings, etc.

Four days of attendance and four nights in the Roosevelt at $1,200 sounds "legitimate" to me.

But I am just guessing.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle, that is a good thought you have about those high-end prices possibly including lodging. Let's hope that's the explanation.

If the rates include lodging, it's curious that TCM PR didn't realize right off the bat that the rates quoted in their article would be offputting without including that explanatory detail.

Feeling more optimistic --

Somebody was asking what films clips are shown in the FFestival trailer and TCM promo:

*A Star is Born* with Judy Garland

*North by Northwest*

*Lawrence of Arabia* (maybe 70mm????)

*2001* (I think)

*The Cameraman* with Buster Keaton

*Adventures of Robin Hood* with Errol Flynn (is Olivia coming to Hollywood again??????)

Thanks for those titles from the Festival Promo. But, other than *A Star Is Born*, I don't see any there that tell "the story of Hollywood" - which is one of the guiding themes of the Festival.

Or am I being too literal in my interpretation of "the story of Hollywood" and it isn't the "location" but the "industry"?

Kyle In Hollywood

Chief,

I think you are being a bit too literal, sorry to say. I think the "Story of Hollywood" is the evolution of the movies from the silents through at least the 1960s, if not up to today.

I just checked online the room rate for the Hollywood Roosevelt and I don't want to shatter any hopes, but I think you can rule out that the pass covering lodging. For the nights of 4/22-4/25, the online site for the Roosevelt says room rates average $309 a night, with a total of $1,056.78 for three nights stay. If the top pass is $1200, I think that is definitely not including lodging.

I believe the price is for the festival and whatever special perks go with each pass price. If there are going to be stars there to discuss films, they are going to charge TCM a fee, so that has to be accounted for. Then the Egyptian and Graumann's are going to charge hefty fees for renting out the theatres for 4 days, plus projectionist costs and theatre staff. This isn't going to be Uncle Charlie at the local movie club turning the crank of his home projector. I figure they're going to have to have projectionists on almost 24 hours a day in order to show 50 or so films. TCM will be doing this up first class, I am positive!

We'll find out in a few days, I hope...but I am starting to get really excited by the thought of all those screenings and wondering what they will be. (I hope I get a chance to meet Robert Osborne again.)

I don't know if they will have screenings 24/7 for those four days in order to show 50+ films.

The Chinese Theater's main theater is still the historic theater it has always been but it is now surrounded by a multiplex of theaters under the Chinese name.

It may be that TCM is renting one or more of the smaller theaters for screenings. Both the main historic theater at the Chinese and the Egyptian set a couple of thousand people each and I would imagine the gala screenings take place at those two theaters.

So, I could see the two historic movie palaces used during the day for screenings and in the evening being used for the gala screenings and/or events with screenings of other classic films in the smaller theaters within the Chinese's complex at Hollywood and Highland.

I also hope that TCM is able to get a block of rooms at the Roosevelt for festival goers and that should lower the cost of the rooms since they are guaranteeing a block of rooms will get rented.

If Festival goers from out of town have to pay the "rack rate" plus the $500-$1200 for a four day pass, I suspect many will opt to stay at the nearby Best Western.

cubswin1984...I also live in Columbus and attempted the exact same thing you did concerning "North By Northwest" and came up empty handed as well. Living in the Polaris area I thought for sure I'd grab my copy with no problems but as your post stated, neither Target, Best Buy nor Barnes And Noble had copies. I was told to go online and order from their websites! grr Surely it would'nt hurt to have a few copies for walk-in customers huh? nope.

I've had my moment in the sun...and lived vicariously through others. If the festival

becomes too expensive a proposition for me to travel out west, will you and filmlover

give us poor Northeasterners a blow-by-blow description of your experiences at the

Festival??

You did it for the Fan Guest Programmer event we attended last November and it

was a wonderful read.

Geez, was it really a year ago already??

I'm disappointed that the schedule of events hasn't been posted yet if passes go on sale in only five days. $500 is a substantial amount of money for those of us who have "champagne tastes on a beer budget," and I'd like to know what films will be on view.

*I'm disappointed that the schedule of events hasn't been posted yet if passes go on sale in only five days. $500 is a substantial amount of money for those of us who have "champagne tastes on a beer budget," and I'd like to know what films will be on view.*

Perhaps the film and event schedule goes up the same day the passes go on sale? Also, I can't imagine that the only choices for attending are going to be to buy a four day pass.

Come next Wednesday, hopefully, more info will be posted.

I personally wouldn't be surprised to see sales go slowly, thus resulting in some sort of a la carte sales to individual films or days. That often happens with any new endeavor -- and while TCM's audience includes people familiar with film festivals, it's likely an audience not familiar with actually attending them (and I'm in that group). $500 for four days may work fine for Telluride, but not for the TCM crowd..

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

>

> Come next Wednesday, hopefully, more info will be posted.

Hi, lzcutter,

As soon as the info is on the board, I will list it here so we don't get more threads than necessary (can hardly wait to see the film titles!!!).

filmlover

I'm really surprised at the tone of some of the messages here. I thought this would be a more mature crowd. A lot of whining and complaining because you can't go to the film festival because it's too expensive. To be blunt some of you sound like my kid when I tell them "no" to the candy bar at the supermarket check out. Suck it up already!

I think TCM is generous enough as it is showing COMMERCIAL FREE movies 24 hours a day. What an awesome channel! I really don't know how they make money, or if they even do.

So now TCM has an opportunity to generate some revenue they should charge whatever they want. Holding a major film festival in the heart of Hollywood can't be cheap, I'm sure they know what they need to charge for it to be a success.

The news is starting to appear on the following TCM sites:

(Be sure to visit TCM's main site for this: http://www.tcm.com/festival/ )

Key events announced to date:

http://www.tcm.com/festival/events.jsp

Opening Night Red Carpet Gala:

Featuring a Newly Restored A STAR IS BORN (1954)

North American Premiere:

Featuring the Newly Restored METROPOLIS (1927)

Special Presentation of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY:

With Oscar?-Winning Visual Effects Artist Douglas Trumbull

Special Programming Inspired By:

VANITY FAIR: TALES OF HOLLYWOOD Book

MOGULS AND MOVIE STARS: A HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD

A Sneak Preview of a New Original Documentary

Jean-Luc Godard?s BREATHLESS, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of its U.S. Release

Special guests of the Festival

Film director and historian Peter Bogdanovich

Film historian and author Leonard Maltin

Academy-Award winning visual effects artist Douglas Trumbull

*PASSES:*

http://www.tcm.com/festival/passes.jsp

There are three levels of passes: *The Classic, The Essential,* and *The Spotlight*. Each of these will provide you with access to four days of festival screenings and events, from the opening night welcome reception at the historic Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, to more than 50 film programs in historic theatres, to the panel discussions and fan gatherings at "Club TCM."

_THE CLASSIC PASS_ $499 ($399 until 12/18)

DETAILS

Access to all film programs at all festival venues including the historic Grauman?s Chinese Theatre and Egyptian Theatre, Thursday, April 22-Sunday, April 25 (does not include admittance to Opening Night Red Carpet Gala screening at the historic Grauman?s Chinese Theatre)

Access to all Club TCM events, including festival headquarters, lounge, panels, social events, boutique, and poolside screenings at Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel.

Opening Night welcome party on Thursday, April 22 at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel

Friday and Saturday night passholder gatherings

Closing Night event on Sunday, April 25

Commemorative Festival Program distributed only to passholders at festival

NOTE: Seating at individual screenings and events is not guaranteed, and is based on a first come, first served basis

_THE ESSENTIAL PASS_ $599 ($499 until 12/18)

DETAILS

All of the above, plus:

Entry to Opening Night Red Carpet Gala screening on Thursday, April 22, at the historic Grauman?s Chinese Theatre

Official TCM Festival collectibles

NOTE: Seating is not guaranteed with this pass level, and is based on a first come, first served basis

_THE SPOTLIGHT PASS_ $1,199 ($1,099 until 12/18)

DETAILS

All of the above, plus:

Priority entry to all shows

Entry to the Vanity Fair Opening Night party following the Red Carpet Gala screening

Meet and greet breakfast with Robert Osborne on Saturday, April 24

Official festival poster signed by Robert Osborne

NOTE: Priority entry permits the ?Spotlight? passholder to enter first, to all screenings and events, as long as seating is available ? however, seating is not guaranteed.

There is also an FAQ page:

http://www.tcm.com/festival/faq.jsp

(Among the items discussed, it mentions that the Hollywood Roosevelt will have special Festival rates)

More excitement to come. : )

Whoa!

After seeing the Festival Promo a few times, the line from Robert Osborne about "footage thought lost forever" finally registered in my head. But I never thought it would mean that TCM had found a _complete_ print of *A Star Is Born* (No More Stills!) or that TCM would get to premiere (in North America) the recently discovered copy of *Metropolis*. What a coup! Bravo!

From just these two events, the TCM Classic Film Festival looks to be a force to be reckoned with on the "festival circuit".

Kyle In Hollywood

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding - we will be premiering the complete "Metropolis," but we don't (as of yet, anyway - there's always hope) have the lost footage from "A Star is Born." It is, however, a beautiful new restoration.

*"...we don't (as of yet, anyway - there's always hope) have the lost footage from "A Star is Born."* - tcmprogrammr

Bummer.

Sorry for leaping to a wrong conclusion.

Kyle In Hollywood

Here's today's press release from TCM (thanks, Kyle):

Release Date: 11/18/2009

First-ever TCM Classic Film Festival to Feature Newly Restored Versions of A Star is Born (1954) and Metropolis (1927), Plus an Anniversary Screening of Breathless (1960)

Festival Passes for April 2010 Event Go On Sale Today at www.tcm.com/festival

When Turner Classic Movies (TCM) launches the first-ever TCM Classic Film Festival in April 2010 in Hollywood, the spectacular events will include the world premiere of a newly restored edition of George Cukor?s music-filled 1954 drama A Star is Born; the North American premiere of a restored version of Fritz Lang?s 1927 science-fiction silent masterpiece Metropolis; and a 50th anniversary screening of the influential French classic Breathless, the film that launched Jean-Luc Godard?s career. Passes go on sale starting today, with prices ranging from $499 to $1,199.

The more than 50 presentations during the festival will include introductions to provide context about each film. Among the first of many special guests scheduled to participate are filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich and film critic Leonard Maltin. The festival will also feature a special presentation of Stanley Kubrick?s landmark film 2001: A Space Odyssey, including a discussion with Oscar-winning visual effects artist Douglas Trumbull, who was responsible for contributing to Kubrick?s vision. In addition, TCM weekend-daytime host Ben Mankiewicz will take part in introducing films during the festival.

The premiere of A Star is Born will serve as the opening night event for the TCM Classic Film Festival on Thursday, April 22, 2010. This is the first major restoration of A Star is Born since 1983. TCM will screen a version of A Star is Born that was digitally restored by scanning original negatives. The result is much better picture quality of all elements of the 1983 restoration, with deeper and richer color than ever before. A Star is Born, which earned Oscar? nominations for Judy Garland and James Mason, is part of the festival?s overall theme as a celebration of Hollywood history.

TCM?s screening of Metropolis will mark the first presentation of the new restoration of the film in North America. Due to the sensational 2008 discovery of a 16mm negative in Buenos Aires and its current restoration, Metropolis can now be shown with 30 minutes of additional footage that has been unseen since the 1927 Berlin premiere. This nearly complete copy of Lang?s 204-minute original now stands as the authoritative version of the film, according to the Murnau Foundation, which holds the copyrights on all of Lang?s films. The newly reconstructed Metropolis features extensive scenes that flesh out many of the supporting characters, fill in previously jarring gaps in the plot and provide additional back story. The music score for Metropolis will be provided live by the Alloy Orchestra, a three-man musical ensemble that will be celebrating its 20th year of writing and performing live accompaniment to classic silent films.

TCM, in partnership with Rialto Pictures, will present a beautiful new print of Jean-Luc Godard?s New Wave classic Breathless, which in 2010 celebrates the 50th anniversary of its American release. Breathless was a U.S. art-house sensation that strongly influenced filmmakers of its era. The movie paved the way for the ?new? Hollywood of the late 1960s and ?70s, revolutionizing American filmmaking and changing the direction of the industry.

?The TCM Classic Film Festival is shaping up to be a truly amazing event, with rare cinematic treats and many chances to hear from classic film stars and knowledgeable experts,? said TCM host and film historian Robert Osborne, who will serve as the official host for the festival. ?This is the kind of celebration classic film fans have been dreaming about for years, and everyone at TCM is proud to bring that dream to life.?

As part of the festival, TCM is partnering with Vanity Fair magazine to commemorate the publication of Vanity Fair?s Tales of Hollywood, from Penguin Books and edited by Graydon Carter. Special panels will feature writers from the magazine, along with actors and filmmakers who will tell behind-the-scenes stories of many of Hollywood?s greatest films. In addition, Vanity Fair will co-present a special opening-night party for top-tier passholders and Hollywood VIPs.

TheTCM Classic Film Festival, which is set to take place in Hollywood April 22-25, 2010, will be a landmark celebration of the history of Hollywood and its movies, presented in a way that only TCM can, with major events, celebrity appearances, panel discussions and more. The four-day festival will also provide movie fans a rare opportunity to experience some of cinema?s greatest works as they were meant to be seen ? on the big screen. TCM will announce additional special events, guests and programming in the weeks and months ahead.

The central hub for the festival will be Club TCM, located inside the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. The Roosevelt, which served as the site of the first Academy Awards? ceremony, will be the official hotel for the festival. All passholders will be allowed entry into Club TCM, which will include a festival lounge, panel discussions, social events, a boutique and poolside screenings. Event locations include Grauman?s Chinese Theatre and the Egyptian Theatre.

Festival passes are now on saleat www.tcm.com/festival. The number of passes will be limited, especially for top-level ?Spotlight? passes:

The ?Classic? Festival Pass: $499 ? Includes access to all film programs at festival venues; access to all Club TCM events, including festival headquarters, the festival lounge, panel discussions, social events, the festival boutique and poolside screenings at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel; an opening-night welcome party; Friday and Saturday evening passholder gatherings; the closing-night event; and a commemorative festival program.

The ?Essential? Festival Pass: $599 ? Includes all privileges available to ?Classic? passholders, plus entry to the opening-night red carpet screening of A Star is Born at Grauman?s Chinese Theatre and official TCM festival collectibles.

The ?Spotlight? Festival Pass: $1,199 ? Includes all privileges available to ?Classic? and ?Essential? passholders, plus entry to an exclusive opening-night party following the red carpet screening of A Star is Born, hosted by Vanity Fair magazine; priority entry to all events; a meet-and-greet breakfast with Robert Osborne; and an official TCM Classic Film Festival poster signed by Osborne.

NOTE: Some restrictions apply. Complete pass-level details are available online at www.tcm.com/festival

Turner Classic Movies is a Peabody Award-winning network celebrating 15 years of presenting great films, uncut and commercial-free, from the largest film libraries in the world. Currently seen in more than 80 million homes, TCM features the insights of veteran primetime host Robert Osborne and weekend daytime host Ben Mankiewicz, plus interviews with a wide range of special guests. As the foremost authority in classic films, TCM offers critically acclaimed original documentaries and specials, along with regular programming events that include The Essentials, 31 Days of Oscar and Summer Under the Stars. TCM also stages special events and screenings, such as the upcoming TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood; produces a wide range of media about classic film, including books and DVDs; and hosts a wealth of materials at its Web site, www.tcm.com. TCM is part of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company.

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.

http://news.turner.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=4829

Hmm....I admit, Peter Bogdanovich being there does tempt me. But so far I am holding

out until I can see more information about other films being screened, and other panelists.

I wonder if Peter Bogdanovich is going to do his *Sacred Monsters* one-man show?

I saw him do it last Spring at the Billy Wilder Theater in Westwood and it was a lot of fun.

I, too, am hoping for more info on the movies and panels before the price increase next month.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> I wonder if Peter Bogdanovich is going to do his *Sacred Monsters* one-man show?

>

> I saw him do it last Spring at the Billy Wilder Theater in Westwood and it was a lot of fun.

>

Oh, now see...that's the kind of thing that really causes me anguish! :D The idea of missing

that a SECOND time would just about kill me. :)