Sign in to follow this  
filmlover

*TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL HOLLYWOOD 2010*

81 posts in this topic

*I'm really surprised at the tone of some of the messages here. I thought this would be a more mature crowd. A lot of whining and complaining because you can't go to the film festival because it's too expensive. To be blunt some of you sound like my kid when I tell them "no" to the candy bar at the supermarket check out. Suck it up already!*

Sorry you feel like posters here are acting like your kids.

One thing to keep in mind is that the majority of posters have never attended a big-ticket Film Festival before. We've heard of festivals like Sundance, Tribeca, Telluride and such but the majority of us have likely never looked into the price of passes before.

When TCM announced their Film Festival people were generally excited at the opportunity to be part of the event, to be able to see films on the big screen and for the chance to rub elbows, perhaps, with Robert O.

Many of us still hope to be able to do that.

But the reality of the pass prices took many here by surprise. Why? Not because they think TCM should do a film festival on the cheap, nor because they think everything should be free.

The surprise came because we are Film Festival novices. Some have been to festivals like Cinecon and Slaptiscon and other regional, more specialized festivals. Very few of us have been to a FFestival of this magnitude.

This Festival is going to be a on a much grander scale and I'm sure that we all wish TCM the very best of luck with it whether we can be there in person or not.

Name: Steve

Email: {...}

Total Posts: 0

Location San Diego, Ca

Occupation Retired

Looking for a Female Date to take to the Festival. If you live in Southern Cal Area that would be a plus, only so we could date before hand, but I'm open.

Hi Ladies, I am looking for a date to join me at the Film Festival in April 2010. I don't feel like going alone so if your not turned off by my picture. Don't mind someone who is as tall as Mickey Rooney, funny,a Danny DeVito stunt,and Body Double stand-in, share a passion of Classic Movies,and enjoys having a good time, I would love to hear from you. We have until April to get to know each other so be creative and catch my attention. It should be a fantastic time. Hears waiting to hear from you kid. Steve

Edited by: TCMWebAdmin on Nov 19, 2009 7:39 AM

I'm going and I'm excited! I booked my spotlight pass and my hotel room today. The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel is on the expensive side, but the festival rates are a great deal - their rooms usually start at about $300 a night but the festival rates are significantly less.

I can't wait to meet everybody!

Kathie

Although I live very close to Hollywood its doubtful if I will attend the event unless I would be able to attend some individual screenings. As a film buff this sounds very exciting but its a big hunk of money out of my pocket and like others I really can't afford it. With a bad economy and so many people out of work I really wonder how successful this event will be.

I agree with you Edgecliff, it's just too much. And I live in New England, which as most people know just about the farthest you can get away from Hollywood there is in America.

I really think TCM or the people putting on this kind show have to be a bit more realistic about prices for this of event. And as I said would love to attend but can't shell out that kind of dough. Luckily I live in LA and get to see many events that are affordable.

I noiticed that the new promo has clips of Red River and what looks like it could be Buster Keaton's The Cameraman, so I am guessing they will be in the festival, too.

Filmlover,

Here is the list of films from the first promo:

*A Star is Born* with Judy Garland

*North by Northwest*

*Lawrence of Arabia* (maybe 70mm????)

*2001* (I think)

*The Cameraman* with Buster Keaton

*Adventures of Robin Hood* with Errol Flynn (is Olivia coming to Hollywood again??????)

So, it sounds like they have added *Red River*.

lzcutter, I get very excited when I think of 50+ classic movies all in one area in Hollywood, over 4 days, all on movie screens. I have seen a number of classic films on the bog screen, but to think of this many at one time...well, for those four days in April, it will be a time of wonder and magic for me.

*well, for those four days in April, it will be a time of wonder and magic for me.*

Filmlover,

I don't think you're alone in that feeling. I bet many of us will feel that way.

I am really interested in attending the festival, if possible. One of the major things standing in my way is the lack of a schedule. I don't care if it isn't completely fleshed out but (even with the $100 discount pre-12/18) I am very hesitant to commit to purchasing a pass without more of a schedule. I highly recommend posting a more detailed schedule before the 18th of December, in order to avoid a complete lack of successful pre-booking.

I admit that the $100 discount by Dec 18th is mighty tempting. One other film that has been mentioned is the preview of the newly restored edition of (I presume the recently found) *Metropolis.*

If they really *don't have* the lost footage of *A Star is Born,* I hardly think it would be worth the extra $100 or the hype!

Even if they can't get more details on the schedule before the 18th, a definitive yea or nay on that one issue would clarify for me whether to get the second tier (with Star) or first tier pass.

Spotlight membership is right out, and I'd have to see a darn good room rate to do the Roosevelt. Maybe do the Roosevelt for one or two of the four nights and the Best Western (or some other budget flophouse) for the remaining nights. Even though I'm "local" to SoCal, the logistics of traffic in LA make commuting a nightmare.

But if they are talking 50+ screenings (I doubt very much it would be 50 individual films), it does work out to be about $8/film for the passes with entrance to the 'partay' and 'brekkie with bob' working out to $250 each and the Star premiere and "special festival commemoratives" going for $100.

Given today's film prices, $8 (if purchased before Dec 18th) is not a bad admission price, especially when coupled with entrance to panels, discussions, clubhouse, etc. Those entries would presumably *not* be available to individual ticket purchasers -- another thing that I feel should be clarified for us festival newbies prior to the 18th!

I watch a lot of TCM, especially the special programming. It comes out of growing up watching classic movies -- my dad was a big Bogie fan -- and then revival house theaters while in college. So I think that this would be a special time for all of us lovers of classic film -- after all, it got me to join the TCM union! ;-)

I should probably keep my mouth shut on these things just so I don't put my foot in it again.

*"Even if they can't get more details on the schedule before the 18th, a definitive yea or nay on that one issue would clarify for me whether to get the second tier (with Star) or first tier pass."* - ChatNoir

If the *A Star Is Born* "screening" is the make-or-break factor for your decision on which Festival Pass to invest in, then I would suggest that you opt for the less expensive pass. According to someone who knows, a screening of the "complete" *A Star Is Born* is still a pipedream. But attending an event like the one pictured below will still be very enticing to many people.

4144136244_b71cc10ae2.jpg

Premiere of *A Tree Grows In Brooklyn* at the Chinese Theater

(Likely photographed from the Roosevelt Hotel)

*"I'd have to see a darn good room rate to do the Roosevelt. Maybe do the Roosevelt for one or two of the four nights and the Best Western (or some other budget flophouse) for the remaining nights. Even though I'm "local" to SoCal, the logistics of traffic in LA make commuting a nightmare.*"

There are alternatives to the Hollywood Roosevelt for accomodations - though I don't know what room rates they will charge - which should be convenient to Festival goers. There is the Marriot Renaissance that is part of the Hollywood And Highland complex and adjacent to the Chinese Theater. There is a Quality Inn around the corner from the Roosevelt on LaBrea. (A block away from the Valet entrance at the rear of the Roosevelt.) And another hotel (Holiday Inn Express?) on Highland nearer to the Hollywood Bowl than Hollywood Blvd. but still within easy walking distance (under ten minutes) of the Chinese and Egyptian Theaters. And if you want to be a real Hollywood Hipster, the new "W" hotel at Hollywood and Vine will likely be open by next Spring. (But that wouldn't necessarily be a budget-conscious option.)

Here are two links with additional information that may help you with your decision.

http://www.tcm.com/festival/faq.jsp

http://turnerclassic.moviesunlimited.com/festival

Kyle In Hollywood

-------------

"I saw Robert Benchley in his shorts!" Fred Allen

-------------

*And another hotel (Holiday Inn Express?) on Highland nearer to the Hollywood Bowl than Hollywood Blvd.*

Chief,

I believe it is a Holiday Inn Express there on Highland and I believe a Best Western is nearby as well.

And for City of Angel dwellers, don't forget, the Festival is accessible via the subway with a station at Hollywood and Highland.

So, if you are coming from the Valley or from downtown, park the car and take the subway.

Thanks for the input Kyle. I had seen the earlier post where someone had replied in the negative for the 'lost footage' being available for *A Star Is Born* so it would essentially be the same copy we saw a few months ago here on TCM.

Since you still get admission to the opening night gala party with the basic pass, I think I would 'pass' on the opening night premiere screening. I don't know what TCM festival memorabilia comes with the extra $100, but saving that $100 means I can buy the festival mementos of my choice.

Given that there will be 50-plus screenings over the four days, what do you bet the chances will be that whatever copy of Star that will be playing that weekend will have at least one repeat showing? Probably pretty good imho. ;-)

I'm looking into rooms and rates, will only need the first three nights as I'm semi-local. Thanks for the hotel suggestions, want to find the most reasonable accommodations as close to the venues as possible. It may end up being the Roosevelt after all.

Anyways, I really think this will be a nice event, the discount on the passes makes it a great Christmas present to myself.

From the sounds of things, I don't think I'm going to be the only one here that is planning on attending. Although I do admit if I had to swing airfare plus lodging for all four nights etc, it would be more daunting.

*"Thanks for the input Kyle. I had seen the earlier post where someone had replied in the negative for the 'lost footage' being available for A Star Is Born so it would essentially be the same copy we saw a few months ago here on TCM."* - ChatNoir

Actually, the version of *A Star Is Born* being presented is the premiere of an extensive "restoration" of the existing elements that has taken a few years to complete. It won't be the same copy seen on TCM in the past but will be the same "version". But from what I have read, it has been "cleaned up" dramatically - much in the same way many other films from the Fifties have undergone. (See *Bridge On The River Kwai*, *Rear Window*, etc. which all get "Restoration Credits" tagged on to the end.) And being able to see a true Cinemascope film on a large screen doesn't happen all that often - even in Los Angeles.

*"Given that there will be 50-plus screenings over the four days, what do you bet the chances will be that whatever copy of Star that will be playing that weekend will have at least one repeat showing?"*

I think not. My (very) casual exposure to Film Festivals tells me that screenings are typically "one and done". And that is another reason why the screening of *A Star Is Born* is taking place in the Chinese Theater - the largest of all the announced venues - so to accomodate as many guests as possible.

TCM hosted a screening of *The Birds* in LA this past Spring that was so popular that they had to take over a second theater. I believe nearly 800 people showed up. Robert Osborne and Tippi Hedren were there so having them as a hosts made it a very popular and exciting event. (It also had a red carpet!) But I wouldn't expect additional or expanded screenings to be part of the Film Festival.

*"From the sounds of things, I don't think I'm going to be the only one here that is planning on attending."*

If I am lucky, I am hoping just to be allowed to bus tables in "Club TCM".

Kyle In Hollywood

-----------------

"I caught Robert Benchley in his shorts!" Fred Allen

-----------------

Some weeks back the County Museum ran a print of A STAR IS BORN. It was not the restored but I got to see it again on the big screen. I have already seen the film about 4 or 5 times since I have lived in Los Angeles. Once with host Ron Haver. I know about the film restoration since they are prepping it for Blu Ray. And I think I am going to wait for this one to watch on my 52" screen. Unless they really run some very rare films I am not interested in this festival especially considering what is being charged. I would hope if I were to attend individual showings (if possible) the cost will be in a range which I could afford. This festival is probably a treat for someone who lives outside of California but the effect for me is not the same since I have so many outlets to see many of these films throughout the year. For example, once a year the Egyptain Theatre in Los Angeles runs their rare Film Noir Festival. This is something I always look forward to and can afford since I am a member.

I'm moving this to a new location and new Category especially for the Film Festival!

:)

Well I checked with the Roosevelt for their festival rate. It's currently a couple more $$ than Expedia is offering for the same dates. Expedia is offering $175.

Decided to go with Orchid Suites, which is budget but has a kitchenette and is located right behind the Chinese Theater. The Marriott wasn't really a choice, because their rates are higher than the discount rates for the Roosevelt. Got a slightly better rate for an upgraded room from the hotel reservation line -- also my card won't take a hit until I actually check in. If you can afford the Roosevelt, that would be my advice -- to book it directly, because you lock in almost the same rates as the online discounters.

I'm going to wait until closer to the 18th deadline to make my mind up about my pass, but I did notice that there *will* be repeat screenings of some films according to the new technical questions category. That's why I think that *Star* would be a good bet on a repeat screening if there were repeats -- which has been answered by admin in the affirmative.

It still might be a nice event to go to. I look at it this way: TCM is trying to give early pass purchasers an incentive to "treat" themselves to an upgraded pass. The justification would be that if you were going to buy the first tier pass at the original price, you can now buy the second tier pass at that same price with the bonus event thrown in.

If you bus my table, Kyle, I'll be sure to leave a generous tip. ;-)

*"...I did notice that there will be repeat screenings of some films according to the new technical questions category. That's why I think that Star would be a good bet on a repeat screening if there were repeats -- which has been answered by admin in the affirmative."* - ChatNoir

I noticed that too. Didn't expect that. But if that will be the case, I think your decision on which pass to purchase makes good sense.

I'm pleased there is a Forum set up and monitored by TCM staff to address questions and concerns regarding the Classic Film Festival. It is understandable that everyone considering attendance this far in advance of the Festival dates would want to make as an informed decision as is possible. This Forum will fulfill that need.

*"If you bus my table, Kyle, I'll be sure to leave a generous tip."*

Even in Hollywood, you don't tip the busboy.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> *"If you bus my table, Kyle, I'll be sure to leave a generous tip."*

>

> Even in Hollywood, you don't tip the busboy.

You're right, one *tips* the waiter, and *they share* the tip with the busboy. So if one wants to be sure the busboy gets some love, one is extra generous to the waiter! Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

A forum like this is another good way to share tips.

*Programming updates!!!*

_*Newly restored films including:*_

The Academy Award nominated performance by Dorothy Dandridge in *CARMEN JONES* (1954)

Elia Kazan?s rarely seen drama *WILD RIVER* (1960), with Montgomery Clift and Lee Remick

Gene Tierney in the Technicolor brilliance of *LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN* (1945)

_*Favorite classics rarely seen on the big screen:*_

A can?t-miss special presentation of Douglas Sirk?s *IMITATION OF LIFE* (1959), with special guests, actresses Susan Kohner Weitz and Juanita Moore, talking about her Academy Award nominated role

Frank Borzage?s *A MAN?S CASTLE* (1933), starring a young Spencer Tracy and Loretta Young in this Depression-era romance

Frank Capra?s early ?talkie?, the big-budget adventure film *DIRIGIBLE* (1931) with Fay Wray

One subject that has fascinated Hollywood since its inception is? Hollywood. From escapist musicals to downbeat melodramas, Hollywood has told its own story for many decades. We?ll be screening and discussing with special guests a number of films on this fascinating topic:

*THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL* (1952), a scathing look at one mogul?s ambitions and the Hollywood players who inhabit his universe, featuring an all star line up including Kirk Douglas and Lana Turner

One of the most critically acclaimed and iconic musicals ever produced by Hollywood, *SINGIN? IN THE RAIN* (1952) is set during the crucial period of transition between silent and talkies

Nicholas Ray takes us behind the curtain of Hollywood, *IN A LONELY PLACE* (1950), as aspiring actress Gloria Grahame begins to suspect that her temperamental boyfriend, played by Humphrey Bogart, is a murderer

Billy Wilder?s devastating take on stardom, *SUNSET BLVD.* (1950), featuring the unforgettable Gloria Swanson and William Holden

*THE STUNT MAN* (1980), a film that follows the travails of a fugitive-turned-stuntman who crosses paths with a megalomaniacal director played by Peter O?Toole - both the actor and the director, Richard Rush, received Academy Award nominations

Key events announced to date:

Opening Night Red Carpet Gala: Featuring a Newly Restored A STAR IS BORN (1954)

North American Premiere:

Featuring the Newly Restored METROPOLIS (1927)

Special Presentation of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY:

With Oscar?-Winning Visual Effects Artist Douglas Trumbull

Special Programming Inspired By:

VANITY FAIR: TALES OF HOLLYWOOD Book

MOGULS AND MOVIE STARS: A HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD

A Sneak Preview of a New Original Documentary

http://www.tcm.com/festival/events.jsp

Getting more excited! Can't wait to see the restored Technicolor Leave Her to Heaven! Plus more, more, more!!!!

I would like to know if the festival will include more classic film noir. I see Sunset Boulevard but would love to see Double Indemnity included...would be so cool to attend this with fans of Barbara Stanwyck & Fred MacMurray and see this important film on the big screen just like 1944!

There is a new promo for the Film Festival currently running on TCM that includes the latest list of films and some of the panelists.