Sign in to follow this  
markbeckuaf

Monday, November 9th--Daytime lineup is rocking with Marie Dressler!!!

10 posts in this topic

Wow, what an awesome lineup of silents, early talkies and pre-codes this Monday, November 9th on TCM!!! Honoring Marie Dressler's birthday, we'll also be treated to the likes of Charlie Chaplin, Marion Davies, Bessie Love, William Haines, Lillian Gish, Wallace Beery and more!! Fortunately I'll be back and OFF that day (provided all goes well), and so will just be grooving all day long to TCM!!!

Here's the incredible lineup:

6:00 AM Tillie's Punctured Romance (1914)

In this silent film, a con man dupes a wealthy country girl into marriage. Cast: Marie Dressler, Charles Chaplin, Mabel Normand. Dir: Mack Sennett. BW-72 mins, TV-G

7:15 AM Patsy, The (1928)

In this silent film, a romantic young woman falls for her sister's fiance, then discovers her sister is cheating on him. Cast: Marion Davies, Orville Caldwell, Marie Dressler. Dir: King Vidor. BW-77 mins, TV-G

8:45 AM Chasing Rainbows (1929)

Musical performers fall in love while rehearsing for the big show. Cast: Bessie Love, Charles King, Marie Dressler. Dir: Charles Reisner. BW-86 mins, TV-G

10:15 AM Divine Lady, The (1929)

Lady Hamilton's love affair with Admiral Nelson rocks the British Empire. Cast: Corinne Griffith, Victor Varconi, Marie Dressler. Dir: Frank Lloyd. BW-99 mins, TV-G

12:00 PM Vagabond Lover, The (1929)

A small-town boy finds fame and romance when he joins a dance band. Cast: Rudy Vallee, Marie Dressler, Sally Blane. Dir: Marshall Neilan. BW-65 mins, TV-G

1:15 PM Girl Said No, The (1930)

A college sports star surprises everyone with his money-making schemes. Cast: William Haines, Leila Hyams, Marie Dressler. Dir: Sam Wood. BW-92 mins, TV-G

3:00 PM Min And Bill (1930)

Two crusty waterfront characters try to protect their daughter from a terrible secret. Cast: Marie Dressler, Wallace Beery, Dorothy Jordan. Dir: George Hill. BW-66 mins, TV-G

4:15 PM One Romantic Night (1930)

A princess engaged to a prince falls for her brother's tutor. Cast: Lillian Gish, Rod La Rocque, Conrad Nagel. Dir: Paul Stein. BW-72 mins, TV-G

5:30 PM Politics (1931)

Two women take on small-town racketeers. Cast: Marie Dressler, Polly Moran, Roscoe Ates. Dir: Charles F. Reisner. BW-73 mins, TV-G

6:45 PM Emma (1932)

A housekeeper faces unexpected snobbery when she marries her boss. Cast: Marie Dressler, Jean Hersholt, Myrna Loy. Dir: Clarence Brown. BW-72 mins, TV-G, CC

Groove on it! TCM rocks!!!

A word of preparation to those who haven't seen it: CHASING RAINBOWS (1930) is missing a few scenes that were originally filmed in Technicolor. But I say be thankful we have the movie even as it is. There are way too many others that are lost or not shown because they're incomplete. So thanks TCM for showing this one (although not nearly often enough!)

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> A word of preparation to those who haven't seen it: CHASING RAINBOWS (1930) is missing a few scenes that were originally filmed in Technicolor. But I say be thankful we have the movie even as it is. There are way too many others that are lost or not shown because they're incomplete. So thanks TCM for showing this one (although not nearly often enough!)

Musicalnovelty, thank you very much for that bit of background info! I'm really looking forward to that one, as I've not seen it before! And I agree, even if some of these films are missing some elements, they deserve to be seen, and thanks to TCM for doing it! More though! :)

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> Good movies so far this morning. Glad to see they have a restored version of The Divine Lady ! :D

Oh yes, this is really awesome!!! Love to see this on right now!

I have off for the day, so I can see most of these, though did get started a little late and will have to catch CHASING RAINBOWS a bit later!

Looking forward to grooving hard to more of these early films today!

This is awesome. I was shocked to see the lineup in the monthly schedule. They rarely show her movies anymore. I've got the DVD recorder working overtime! Interesting to see that "One Romantic Night" is actually titled "The Swan" when it began a little while ago. Perhaps that was the original title, or British title? I wonder where the print originated from. There was also a break between the title and the cast lineup that was clearly different, indicating that it was probably spliced together from remaining film elements. And I guess this is the original version of the story which was remade with Alec Guiness and Grace Kelly. You gotta hand it to TCM, where else could we see such a rare movie!

I DVD'd CHASING RAINBOWS, THE VAGABOND LOVER and THE DIVINE LADY for later...looking forward to the EMMA broadcast in a little bit as I have never managed to catch this one in the past. Dressler was one-of-a-kind - I've heard/read that EMMA is her best performance, thought I know those things are always debatable. So I won't debate! I'll take my cue from Mark-o and groove & rock!! Sweet lineup today.

marie dressler is an old star that i first discovered on TCM. her movies are so real because she looks real. i love the beautiful people of the old screen but i also love the real people that made the movies great. today the films seem to be made of just avon people. i really enjoyed the day with marie. what a great actor.