Sign in to follow this  
Benita23

I can't remember the name of a war time romance heartbreaker

3 posts in this topic

*Please help me find this classic* that I enjoyed so much many years ago. I can not remember the name of the movie nor any actors to cross reference it with. I have been trying to find it for years now to no avail. My memory is a bit sketchy on the specifics of this movie as I was only a little girl in elementary school at the time that I saw this movie at my grandmother's house on TCM at least 15 years ago.

I believe it must have been the 40s but I am not 100% sure.

It was wartime, a young woman meets a young man who is in the war at a dance. They immediately fell for each other. He was a pilot I believe. I remember them being outside at night in a field, I believe near a plane soon after meeting. Their brief relationship resulted in a pregnancy out of wedlock and he died at war.

Her sister or possible best friend who was married, insisted she take the child to raise as her own to help spare the woman's reputation.

Over the years, the woman was considered an aunt to the child who was a boy. This was heartbreaking for her and she wanted her child back. This resulted in a horrible fight with her friend.

Years later the boy grew up and joined the war. He was in another country, possibly Europe, when the, much older now, woman found him and tried to tell him that he was her son. If I recall correctly, she did not tell him. This was the end of the movie. Very sad ending...

I'm pretty sure you are remembering TO EACH HIS OWN (1946) with Olivia DeHavilland, but at the end the son does realize she is his mother.

You are WONDERFUL!!! That is it!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited. It is schedule to play in January on TCM!!!!!!!!!! My memory was a bit sketchy on it so I can see I was a little off but I am so thankful you were able to figure it out.

Thank you again