cagney69

describe the scene game

4,403 posts in this topic

The documentary captures the subject sexually harassing an aspiring actress; his speaking style is compared to Mussolini's; and his favorite catchphrase is dubbed into a clip of "Francis, the Talking Mule."

Correct, cmygor. Probably my favorite scene in any Woody Allen movie. "If it bends, it's funny; if it breaks, it isn't." Nice work. Your thread . . .

Thanks, phroso. The "talking mule" bit brought it home. New one:

An ambulance crew respond to a distress call, go to the right address. One EMS man goes to the door and knocks. It is answered by a strung-out young woman, holding a shotgun, who demands drugs. The man is well into his explanation that they do not carry drugs in the EMS units, when she exclames, "Liar!" and blows him away.

Film?

MOTHER JUGS AND SPEED and the strung-out character is played by Toni Basil, several years before her "Mickey" phenomenon.

Next:

A man tries to impress a woman that he's interested in by taking her to the home of a wealthy celebrity.

Yeah, I guess that was too easy. THE KING OF COMEDY is correct. Props to the late actor Kim Chan for his scene-stealing work as Jonno, the perplexed servant of the Jerry Langford household.

Nice work, again, 6's. This thread is yours. . .

Assuming that Mr. Sixes has yielded his turn on this thread, is that from *The Dirty Dozen* ??

Not any version of The Cat and the Canary, but a good guess.

The deceased man's family and a bishop can't stop talking about the bizarre nature of his death.

The butler learns that he will inherit 30,000 pounds. He's calm for a minute, and then he disrupts the reading of the will with a shout, a song, and a soft-shoe out of the room.

You are right, cmygor. By the way, TCM is showing the complete 2 and a half hour version of THE RULING CLASS tonight at midnight EST. Anyway, good job. The thread is yours . . .

Thanks, phroso.

Downtown London. Night. A powerful, wealthy man enters his Limo and finds that his driver is gone and the man at the wheel is pointing a pistol at him. There is another gunman covering him also. Looking out, he sees his girlfriend helplessly pounding on the window of another car that is pulling away. He is in the hands of enemies that will show no mercy. As the limo pulls away, he relexes, and assumes a hopeless, ironic smile.

1980s film. The man has risen from poverty, starting out in rackets, and then moving into ligit business firms. He has been able to deal with -- and win against -- hoods, crooked cops, honest cops, politicians and bankers. Now without his knowing it, some henchmen have put him crossways with an enemy who does not operate in the same way. He has been slow, actually too late, finding out what he was up against.

Three people in this brief scene -- the girlfriend, the hood/tycoon and one of the gunmen covering him -- were English actors, on the verge of becoming well-known to American moviegoers.

I'll throw out a guess, even though my memory of the movie is hazy:

THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY, with Bob Hoskins, Helen Mirren, and Pierce Brosnan?

Correct. The one enemy he could not outmanouver was the Irish Republican Army.

Phrso's thread.

A lucky educated guess, for me.

Next clue:

A man's passport is stolen while travelling on an ocean liner.

Good guesses, but not what I'm looking for.

The passport is stolen by the dullest member in a quartet of stowaways.