cagney69

describe the scene game

4,400 posts in this topic

MONKEY BUSINESS is correct. It's one of five excellent Marx Brothers movies being shown this Monday night. (Actually six excellent movies, if you like AT THE CIRCUS.) Good work, Cagney. Your thread. . .

Edited by: phroso on Mar 26, 2010 8:33 AM

A beautiful woman is playing the piano and singing a French love song to her husband to entertain their guests at their party.

Son is telling his mother that he's getting married and that his bride-to-be was born in Nanking, China. Mother looks surprised and says, "But she's a nice Chinese girl."

Young married lady finds herself in a not very pleasant backgammon game with the wife of a big shot important to her husband's career. Obnoxious woman accuses young married of cheating at the game.

(Please forgive me Mr. 6666 for spilling the beans in my pm to you. Hubby fixed the problem with Firefox.)

Newlywed lady's preparing food for "social obligations" payback party. She's trying to make a buffet dinner, fix the refrigerator, and douse the turkey that's caught on fire in the oven, all at the same time. Needless to say, she's in a bit of a panic.

Doorbell rings and here stands this little woman who newlywed thinks is a cook sent by an agency that her husband called to help with party. In reality the "cook" is the young lady's mother-in-law who sees that if she tells who she is the young woman would be mortified with embarrassment. So "cook" digs in and fakes being the hired help.

Thanks, Poinciana. (Thelma Ritter is one of my favorites.)

Next scene:

A domestic servant has a toothache, but the problems don't stop there.

The servant has to admit to the lady of the house that she dropped an elaborate aspic that was to be used for dinner that night.

Not ALICE ADAMS, although a good guess in the right decade.

The servant nervously explains to the lady of the house that the aspic was destroyed when she was trying to break up a fight between two male servants. One of the men was arrested, and the other was hospitalized.

DINNER AT EIGHT is correct. My favorite part of the scene is the closing exchange between maid May Robson and her flustered boss, Billie Burke:

ROBSON: Will that be all, ma'am?

BURKE: (sigh) I certainly hope so!

Good job, 6s. The board is yours . . .

Here?s more: the manager of the band goes berserk over the flask and, when it appears someone will be fired, one of the musicians, an innocent sort, steps out and takes the blame.

SOME LIKE IT HOT (Joan Shawlee, Marilyn Monroe, and Jack Lemmon)

Next scene:

In the Old West, a widower and his young-adult daughter are having dinner with two drifters.

Next clue:

The widower doesn't want his guests to work in a nearby goldmine, and uses a biblical verse to make a point about the nature of greed.