MissGoddess

RAMBLES Part II

6,362 posts in this topic

He was blind. That was the gimmick because detective shows were everywhere in 1971. It wasn't gimmicky enough, I guess.

ha! i guess the ADA didn't have as much "push" yet and the networks would only allow one detective show featuring a disabled cop (Ironside). :D

Edited by: MissGoddess on Mar 20, 2014 12:55 PM

Hi there Miss G.: I don't know how I've missed this one all these years, it just never seemed to cross my radar. Next time, hopefully, it will air when I can watch start-to-finish.

I hope you get to see the movie in its entirety; it's so wonderfully 60's. Now, you may not like it.....but I think it's worth getting under your cinematic belt. Jack Favell and I enjoyed it, and Moira...whew! She just tore it apart in that clever hilarious way she writes which you can check out here:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4884&p=147048#p147048

I hope you see it one day, and judge for yourself.

i never saw Suzanne so pretty. Is Genvieve Paige the same actress who played the snotty mistress of Gregory Peck in Snows of Kilimanjaro? Because the character seems almost exactly the same.

Suzanne is one of my favorite 60's actresses. I wish she would have made a stronger mark in films. She was smart enough, and pretty enough; had a presence. The snooty snotty mistress in "Snows of Kilimanjaro" was Hildegard Kneff but I see how you'd mixed those two: European, and snooty/snotty.

this was my first ever exposure to Franciscus...I'm afraid I didn't care for what I saw, but that may be the part he's playing (for his sake, I hope!) I was very distracted wondering if he dyed his hair...he just doesn't look like a natural blonde (I ought to know! :D ).

c79a86fb-d5a8-4b48-8ad1-d1af3a566bc5_zps

As MovieMan says, I've only seen James Franciscus as a blonde. I think he's a natural. I saw him throughout the 60's and 70's. He was also married to Wild Bill Wellman's daughter in real life.

Had to look up Ann Doran's picture---she WAS in everything, it seemed. She reminds me a little Betty Field.

Ahhhhh the ubiquitous ANN DORAN:

a8c37e67-20c8-4f16-a661-eab27d7de3d8_zps

If you were groggy and half-asleep, you'd know Ann Doran by her voice. It's so distinctive. ( I stop everytime I see her. ) She was Kirk Douglas' secretary in "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers"...she's married to Regis Toomey in "Meet John Doe" and also tries to talk him off the ledge, she's Rosalind Russell's best friend in "Roughly Speaking" and most famously, she plays James Dean's mother in "Rebel Without A Cause" to name a very few of her films. ( She and John Ridgely are a tag-team of ubiquity. )

MovieMan1957 writes: He was blind. That was the gimmick because detective shows were everywhere in 1971. It wasn't gimmicky enough, I guess.

MM, I remember all those detective shows. You had the bald detective, the heavy-set detective, the black detective, the wheelchair-bound detective, the women detectives, not to mention the blonde bombshell detective. With all those detectives on the case, it's a wonder there was any crime in the 70's.

What;s not to love? He's great. I've not seen a lot of his work outside Capra but when I hear that voice something good is going to happen.

Your mention of TV detectives in that time frame made me wonder why they didn't burn themselves out like the westerns did. There sure were a lot of them.

"Your mention of TV detectives in that time frame made me wonder why they didn't burn themselves out like the westerns did. There sure were a lot of them."

Good question. Could it be because the detective story took place in current times? And do you remember all the DOCTOR shows? ( "Ben Casey" "Dr. Kildare" "The Nurses" "Medical Center" etc..... )

You had the bald detective, the heavy-set detective, the black detective, the wheelchair-bound detective, the women detectives, not to mention the blonde bombshell detective. With all those detectives on the case, it's a wonder there was any crime in the 70's.

don't forget rich man/poor man detectives: amos burke/banacek (rich); jim rockford/harry o (poor) :D

You're so right Miss G., how could I forget. :)

Looks like this Message Board will be undergoing a dramatic change. If all is not lost, I'll see all you ramblers over on the other side of The Change. If not, you know where to find me.

Looks like this Message Board will be undergoing a dramatic change. If all is not lost, I'll see all you ramblers over on the other side of The Change. If not, you know where to find me.

I'm not even going to hope for an actual, really functioning message board with no trolls allowed...I simply hope we don't lose our favored threads. In fact, I especially hope this thread makes the "cut"...the announcement said something about threads 1 year old and younger being kept and rest "archived". This one is a lot older than a bouncing, baby one-year-old. Same with all the threads I post on! :)

See you on the other side or....

April,

How have you been?

Not really knowing what they have in mind for the new message boards, but I think that what they are going to attempt to do is to set up a whole new system for the message boards to operate from.

And to do this they will need to shut the old boards down while the migration is carried out. This is some serious s _ _ t that is going to take place. They have never done this before. So they must be serious and have the full backing of the owners (so to speak).

As far as the threads are concerned, I think what they mean by going back one year is that every thread that started one year ago will be kept as well as any thread with comments on it going back one year.

If you go over to the Films and Filmakers Forum and scroll back one year you will come to the following thread:

What Shocked the Censors!

This thread started on March 30, 2013 but had the last post on April 2, 2013. I am assuming and I know that that in and of itself is a stretch for these boards, this thread will be kept. Anything beyond this thread going back will not be kept active. I think what they will do is archive all of the older threads and activate them when someone requests that they get activated.

I would think. But I have been wrong before.

I am looking forward to the new boards. At least they realize they can't keep fixing a problem with that continues to aggrivate many people.

Hi Rey,

I'm hanging in here. How are you?

I'm hoping for the best with the new platform. As with anything new, there will be issues, but this kind of overhaul has been necessary for a long time. I'll go with the flow. I may even start a fresh username just to make 2014 a real "new start". We'll see.

Yay, it's unlocked! 

Now to get my old user name (MissG) back!

PG formerly MissG

So will you now be MG nee PG nee MG?

• Like 1

MissG is back and PappysGirl is retired for now, though frankly I prefer the latter name.  It seems we have an option to change our screen name...I'm debating.  I've wanted to change it for a while but the old board never allowed it.

Oh boy... now I'll never figger this out...

At least the text is in a nice, high-contrast, less-eyestrain Black on White, I can't wait to see how many old commands are now chucked or hidden away!  There certainly looks like some useful toolbar buttons for normal HTML URL & Pix inserts.

Oh boy... now I'll never figger this out...

At least the text is in a nice, high-contrast, less-eyestrain Black on White, I can't wait to see how many old commands are now chucked or hidden away!  There certainly looks like some useful toolbar buttons for normal HTML URL & Pix inserts.

It is bewildering!  But I know we'll get used to it in time...we've weathered worse, right? :D

Well, photo posting was pretty easy...just click on that little picture icon in the bottom row of formatting options (above the text box) and paste the URL of your image and voila!

still not able to get the little url rectangle to accept my "ok" button. ha. I can get it to pop up. I can insert the link,  but when I hit ok.. it just sits there.. mocking me.. ha. I can't even cancel it. (I have to hit the back arrow to get out of it. bah!) TOh well, there's bound to be these little hiccups, until it all the "new" stuff gets ironed out, I am sure.

Will just have to wait it out until they can fix it (or tell me what I'm doing wrong, ha. Because.. well you KNOW...  it could be me just being ME that is the problem there, ha. (technophobia can be a very debilitating condition,  you know. ha). 

Maybe I will just have to have a snack while I am waiting. ha. (Let's see, hmm.. Miss G.. how about some Belgian chocolate... I'll share!) :)  Meanwhile.. please excuse my thumbnails. HA!! :D

post-25093-0-85628400-1396887819_thumb.jpg

post-25093-0-85628400-1396887819_thumb.jpg

I'll take chocolate any way I can get it. :) 

I imagine you already tried this, but instead of clicking "OK" did you hit Enter?  Though I suppose both have the same function and therefore the same issue.  Hope it gets fixed.  I think there is a thread in the Tech Issues forum about posting pix.

• Like 1

Gasp, sniff, sob!! Oh me, Miss G.. I just finished watching the last 35 minutes or so of your Waterloo Bridge movie.. Oh for pizza's sake.. I didn't even know what it was all about and I am a blubbery mess!! (Well now I will need to go back and watch the whole thing from start to end sometime so I can A ) figure it all out, and B )  increase the profits for the KLEENEX company after I stock up (before watching) 

Goodness me (did I mention I was a blubbery mess??) 

Gasp, sniff, sob!! Oh me, Miss G.. I just finished watching the last 35 minutes or so of your Waterloo Bridge movie.. Oh for pizza's sake.. I didn't even know what it was all about and I am a blubbery mess!! (Well now I will need to go back and watch the whole thing from start to end sometime so I can A ) figure it all out, and B )  increase the profits for the KLEENEX company after I stock up (before watching) 

Goodness me (did I mention I was a blubbery mess??) 

It is a heartbreaking story.  You must watch from the beginning---it will make it much more poignant.  So yes, stock up on Kleenex.

• Like 1

It is a heartbreaking story.  You must watch from the beginning---it will make it much more poignant.  So yes, stock up on Kleenex.

I SHOULD have paid more attention to the schedule to know that it was on, but I' ve just had too much "stuff" going on lately, alas. But I remember you talking about this one some time ago so I was sort of prepared for that ending.. yeah.. sort of.. maybe.. a LITTLE, ha. But wowsa.. still, what a harsh sort of way to wrap it all up. I will keep an eye out for it and try to catch it all the way through sometime. (ha.. maybe by then I'll have a laid in a good supply of tissues so I'll be good and ready) 

I loved both the 1931 and 1940 versions, but prefer the latter. Something about the suicide makes it more tragic. And though I love Leslie Caron, I never figured out why they butchered the plot with Gaby.