MissGoddess

RAMBLES Part II

6,362 posts in this topic

Hey Miss Goddess:

I'll take the guy who's doing the talking if you don't mind. What is the horse on the far left doing, is he playing hide and seek with the camera with that blanket? Cute.

_______

Anne

He is a extra and wants more work. It is standard practice that extras keep their faces hidden as much as possible so they can be in many scenes without audience wondering why same ones are in so many different places.

116 Wayne movies

WOWSA Mr. Movieman.. you DO have me beat. ha. I am impressed. (I am also impressed by your "list making" ha.. you guys and all your organized lists.. I am more of a Post it note messy list maker.. ha)

I got to looking at the Grey Dude's list.. and then I saw what you posted about how many you had seen.. and well.. I got curious. ha. I sat down in the IMDB website and looked up Wayne's filmography because I honestly have NO idea how many films of his I have seen.. ha. I KNEW I was nowhere near YOUR count.. but I was not sure how many I could list.

Here is what I came up with... not in order of any preference.. but closer to being in order of when they came out I think.. (because I just used the IMDB site as my "guide)

And PS: these do not include the "Lone Star" movies.. (more on them in a moment)

The Big Trail

Stagecoach

Three Faces West

The Shepherd of the Hills (I have only seen about HALF of this movie all the way through)

Flying Tigers (a LONG long time ago)

The Fighting Seabees (also a long time ago)

They Were Expendable

Without Reservations

Angel and the Badman

Fort Apache

Red River

3 Godfathers

Wake of the Red Witch

The Fighting Kentuckian

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Sands of Iwo Jima

Rio Grande

Flying Leathernecks

The Quiet Man

Trouble Along the Way

Hondo

Blood Alley

The Searchers

Wings of Eagles

Rio Bravo

The Horse Soldiers

North to Alaska

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Hatari

How the West Was Won

Donovan?s Reef

McLintock

The Sons of Katie Elder

El Dorado (very long time ago)

The Green Berets

Hellfighters

True Grit

The Undefeated

Chisum (not all the way through.. only about the first half of it)

Rio Lobo (a long time ago on that one too)

Big Jake

The Cowboys

Rooster Cogburn

43??? If I counted right?? ha.. but I might be off a bit.. it is late and I am an old woman.

And PS: Chris, re: the LoneStar movies.. I have also seen about 6 or 7 of those, I think. Maybe even 8 or 10. I am not sure. I have several (around 20 I think?) that came in a very inexpensive DVD pack that I bought at Walmart a couple of years ago and I just never have sat down and watched them all.

None of them really stand out all that much to me (that I recall) but they were fun to watch. I like to think of them as the stepping stones that led to the ?Man who would be Duke? ha. :-)

PS: Grey Dude and Miss G.. more on WOTRW soon. :D

Edited by: rohanaka on Sep 5, 2010 2:12 AM

PS: Miss Scotchie.. HOWDY there you soon to be Birthday Girl!!

Hey Kathy! You remembered that? That?s soooo sweet of you! HOWDY to you too! Missed ya!

Lately, I am thinking I am being far outmatched by YOU, Mr. Grey, in terms of my love for all things "Duke". ha. I think you MAY have seen almost as many of his films now as I have.

You don?t give yourself enough credit young lady?.Mrs. Quiet Man!

You remembered that?

Of COURSE I remembered you, little darlin!! :D Hope your day is a VERY happy one!!!

Here is a lovely party hat to wear, just for you :D

258301.jpg

You don?t give yourself enough credit young lady?.Mrs. Quiet Man!

Ha.. well.. judging from what the Movieman wrote..HE is the Duke watching champion hands down. ha. (and PS: thanks for saying "YOUNG Lady" ha. I haven't been called THAT in a while. Likely since about a GAZILLION years ago when I was a young'un YOUR age.) :D

Have a very happy day, kiddo!!

PS: Here's a little cake to help you celebrate too!! :D

DisneyFamily_Team1159017771727_C_Detail.

Edited by: rohanaka on Sep 5, 2010 3:03 AM

Of COURSE I remembered you, little darlin!! Hope your day is a VERY happy one!!!

THANK YOU KATHY!! You are too sweet for words! My day is a very happy one! Last night I got to wear my first ever pair of cowgirl boots to go two-steppin? and line dancing with my friends?.I hope Gary and The Duke are proud. Heehee!

Here is a lovely party hat to wear, just for you

You know, I?ve always wanted a princess tiara. Now I have one, Thank you Kathy!

Ha.. well.. judging from what the Movieman wrote..HE is the Duke watching champion hands down. ha. (and PS: thanks for saying "YOUNG Lady" ha. I haven't been called THAT in a while. Likely since about a GAZILLION years ago when I was a young'un YOUR age.)

I read it! Heehee! Music man Chris is always the champion! And you ARE a young lady! You will always be a young lady, especially if we keep up with these chats.

PS: Here's a little cake to help you celebrate too!!

I?m getting bombarded with desserts, which isn?t a bad thing! Mmmm yummy!! Is it vanilla or red velvet?

*And PS: Chris, re: the LoneStar movies.. I have also seen about 6 or 7 of those, I think. Maybe even 8 or 10. I am not sure. I have several (around 20 I think?) that came in a very inexpensive DVD pack that I bought at Walmart a couple of years ago and I just never have sat down and watched them all.*

Ro, I think I bought that very same DVD set. Counting those, I probably have over fifty Wayne films. I have spent a lot of time over the past few months organizing my DVD collection. I hope to be finished by the end of the year. That includes putting the titles in some kind of database. I really don't know how that will turn out.

So I watched *Wake of the Red Witch* last night. Interesting.

I'll add more to that exciting commentary later! :)

BTW, a little side note. Don't forget that TCM is premiering *Make Way for Tomorrow* at 8:00pm... tomorrow.

> BTW, a little side note. Don't forget that TCM is premiering *Make Way for Tomorrow* at 8:00pm...

tomorrow.

Wow! Thanks, Mad Hat! I would have overlooked it. I hope more people

tune in and get a look at that under-appreciated gem. Victor Moore and Beulah

Bondi are simply sublime. But it is a major downer, so everyone be warned.

Rather ironic it's airing on Labor Day.

By the way, Mad Hat, where do you stand on the subject of Wayne's acting ability?

That's not a noose or a gun in my hand! :D

Wayne is one of my favorite actors. I still think his Ethan Edwards is one of the most fascinating screen characters I've ever seen. I can't go in to more detail right now because it is cookout mayhem at my house! :D I definitely like Wayne as an actor, and as a person for that matter.

GreerGarson.jpg

"Oh Smitty,

We must wish the Baby T the Happiest of Birthdays."

Happy Birthday, Butterscotch!

Hope all your birthday wishes come true!

"Oh Smitty,

We must wish the Baby T the Happiest of Birthdays."

Happy Birthday, Butterscotch!

Hope all your birthday wishes come true!

Oh thank you buddy! They did come true! I was very blessed and I got more birthday wishes this year than I ever have, so I was over-whelmed quite happily. Heehee!

Okay now on to old movies again.....Heehee! OH SMITHY, I RUN TO YOU!

Mmmm yummy!! Is it vanilla or red velvet?

Ha.. Little T, it is BOTH!! (the top layer was vanilla and the bottom layer was red velvet!) :D

Sounds like you had quite a day, youngun!! Glad to hear it! :-)

still think his Ethan Edwards is one of the most fascinating screen characters I've ever seen

Mad Hat I am with you on that one for sure. I think (if I REALLY had to choose... and PLEASE oh PLEASE don't make me.. ha) He would come down as my most favorite character for Wayne.. but then there is Doniphan. And then there is Rusty. And oh what about.... Ha.. See.. (I TOLD you not to make me choose!!)

I definitely like Wayne as an actor, and as a person for that matter

I grew up liking him.. my dad is a fan of his movies.. and so I guess over time growing up, I more or less just developed my own preference for them as well. I think for me I would have to say I like his "persona" most of all. So very "Bigger than life" but w/ a real HEART underneath. That is what I like about his characters (the ones that REALLY stand out for me) there is a lot of "icon" status attatched to them.. but they are REAL people under the surface and a lot more complex than most folk realize.

As for John Wayne the individual, I am honestly not all that familiar with him that way. I have heard and read a lot of things (some good, some not so good) about who he was in real life, but to be truthful... I really do think he was a decent guy based on most of what I read. Sure he had his flaws, but I think in general he loved his family and loved his country and he loved life and lived it with gusto, so to speak. (Very much like a lot of the characters he played, in that regard)

But again... I am no expert on his life at all so I am sure there is more I might be able to say if I were better read on him.

it is cookout mayhem at my house

YUM!!! You lucky guy!! Dadgum!! I have not had a "cook out" all summer long!! Save a burger and some potato salad (oh.. and a deviled egg) for me!! :D

PS: THANKS for the heads up on Make Way For Tomorrow. OH me OH MY I heartily recommend it. It is a very thought provoking and extremely moving story. I saw it on youtube a couple of months ago (thanks to Miss G's tip) but boy.. it would be good to get to see it all the way through. (I will have to go stock up on my Kleenex for sure!!)

Hellooooooooo Grey Guy!

Well I got to watch WOTRW again this weekend and I really enjoyed it. I can honestly see WHAT it is you like about this film and the Duke?s character and why. But to be truthful, if I had ONE complaint about this movie, it would the opposite of this statement by you:

I do believe it's the most complete of all the characters I have seen of John Wayne's. He gives you everything in this one

Now before it looks like I am turning on my beloved Duke, let me get more specific and try to explain what I mean by that.

I thought HE did a good job bringing out all the MANY facets of Rall?s character (because WOW there was a LOT to bring out w/ him) but the STORY let him down. It just did not develop well enough for me to get that ?complete? feeling about who he really was and WHY he was the way he was. And for that I have to say it left me a bit disappointed.

I honestly had SO little recollection of this movie (because I was remembering only snatches of images about it before I watched it again this weekend) so I do not know if it made any sort of impression on me before. But this time around I really felt like that was just so much missing from the story line that it really left me just a bit unhappy in the way it all played out.

Now as for the Duke, OH me! Was he ever GREY GREY GREY!! Ha. I can absolutely see why it was you liked him so well. At one moment he was menacing.. and even LIFE threatening.. and then he could be just so calm and fun loving.. and even very gentle. I think he was a decent guy who had been dumped on a LOT by circumstances in life.. and by the hard life he had chosen to lead (at sea) and also by some REALLY bad choices on his part.. and it more or less just made him into this fractured and really two-sided person. The good in him was VERY good.. but OH that dark side. WOW. Did he ever have one. It was an interesting character.. but gee.. I just wanted to know WHY he was the way he was.. and the story NEVER really gets to that level of understanding for him. It could have just been so much better. (I wonder if the book is more detailed or not?)

Miss Goddess says:

What caught my attention most this time was another similarity to a film, this time

to Wuthering Heights. There are a couple of shots that seem to be "stolen"

right from Wyler's masterpiece, and the character of Captain Ralls (John Wayne)

is to me, very "Heathcliffe". Brooding, masterful, and with a thirst to put down

those who wronged him and destroyed his love. But Ralls is more genial, and

more apt to blame himself for his tragedies, than Heathcliffe was. As crazy as

it sounds, John Wayne actually plays a more introspective character

than Olivier did. Olivier is all emotion, anger and brute strength. Ralls is intellect,

humor as well as darker forces not under his control.

I absolutely saw this when I watched this time (it was SO long ago, I don't know if I had even seen Wuthering Heights way back when I watched this movie the first time) The similarity is almost blatant... they don't even really try to hide it... (Except that Angelique" is like the "Anti-Cathy" ha.) I wonder if the author just sort of had that in mind when it was written.. or if it was how it played out when it got made into a movie. Either way.. the comparison there cannot be ignored.

I see what an interesting and complex man

Sydney was. He didn't just hate Captain Ralls, he actually wanted to BE Captain

Ralls and knew he didn't have what it took. He could become as rich and powerful

as he was and still didn't have that freedom, that independence and inner resourcefulness

Ralls possessed. Sydney knew that, and it was like something meaningful went out

of his life when Ralls died. His expression when he realized Ralls was gone, was

great. You expect the whole time he hates Ralls so much he'll try to kill him himself,

but no, he wants him to live because competing with him is what gives him excitement

and justification.

There was very much a "hate/love/hate/love" thing going on with him for Ralls. I think in the beginning he just wanted to use him (for what he could get out of him) and then as he saw his personality and his inner strength and determination.. he began to envy, resent, and secretly admire him for it all at the same time. It was almost like a "cat and mouse" thing with him... he would toy with him.. and you'd think at any moment he was going to pounce and just try to devour him.. but at the same time.. the cat wanted to keep the mouse as a pet (sometimes for "entertainment" of amusement.. and sometimes because he really (secretly) liked him and admired his spirit. Ralls almost became his "reason" for being in a way.

The Grey Guy says:

Gail seemed quiet and distant in the film, on the sad side

That was another thing I wish had been better about the film. Her character was SO "undone". And OH she was just so beautiful and tragic.. there could have been a LOT she could have brought out about who RALLS was if both their characters had had more "layers" showing in this story.

One of the things I think that WOTRW had working against it was the whole "flashback" thing. I think this is one example of a story that would have been MUCH stronger if it had been told in "real time" instead of all the flashing back and forth on multiple levels by multiple characters.

In fact.. if you think of it.. the entire MOVIE was just one big flashback as it starts w/ Rosen telling "his" story..but it wasn't even HIS story he was telling. And not to get TOO technical.. because I am NO "expert" writer here.. but I thought that there were way too many issues w/ "perspective" too with all that "flashbacking". So many of the things we were seeing were NOT things that the person telling the story would even have had any knowledge of. (like the private scenes between Angelique and Ralls) at the very least whoever was doing the telling (first Sydney then his neice, etc) would have HAD to be "outside the room" or "hiding in the bushes" to even KNOW what those two said or thought while they were alone.. if the whole "flash back" thing were to be legitimate. (Oh brother.. listen to me.. ha. like I even know what I am talking about.. ha. My 10th grade English teacher would be so proud.. yeah.. right.. HA!)

Anyway... ALL things considered.. and for ALL that "complaining" I have done.. I DID enjoy getting to watch this movie.. and I am REALLY glad YOU (my DEAR grey friend) brought it up for a ramble. It's about time you blew the "dust" off your Duke DVD collection. HA! :P

We need gentle squids and gentle hair-pulls

Was it a squid or an octopus? I am going to go back and count the legs.. HA! Because I am about to place my phone call to the "Sea Creatures R Us" people so I can order one for my "arsenal" to use against you when you get out of line. Oh to heck w/ checking.. I think I will go with an OCTOPUS. (Eight is better than SIX when it comes time to take up arms for fighting!)

Edited by: rohanaka on Sep 6, 2010 1:51 PM

Oh, for goodness sake, Quiet Gal! You and your always wanting more! And then you let McLintock! just walk right on by!

Now as for the Duke, OH me! Was he ever GREY GREY GREY!! Ha. I can absolutely see why it was you liked him so well. At one moment he was menacing.. and even LIFE threatening.. and then he could be just so calm and fun loving.. and even very gentle. I think he was a decent guy who had been dumped on a LOT by circumstances in life.. and by the hard life he had chosen to lead (at sea) and also by some REALLY bad choices on his part.. and it more or less just made him into this fractured and really two-sided person. The good in him was VERY good.. but OH that dark side. WOW. Did he ever have one. It was an interesting character.. but gee.. I just wanted to know WHY he was the way he was.. and the story NEVER really gets to that level of understanding for him. It could have just been so much better. (I wonder if the book is more detailed or not?)

Huh? Were you looking for one specific event in his childhood or life that made him who he was? "Back when he was ten, all the other kids teased him so he swore he'd get revenge on everyone."

I think it was just Ralls' nature. He was who he was. He's a rascal, but one who had soft spots. In a way, he was very "guy." We go out, looking to have our fun, not worrying about the future, then we meet up with a girl who causes us to look at life differently. Without her, we'll turn to our own selfish devices (conquests).

That was another thing I wish had been better about the film. Her character was SO "undone". And OH she was just so beautiful and tragic.. there could have been a LOT she could have brought out about who RALLS was if both their characters had had more "layers" showing in this story.

That really didn't bother me. I can't say Angelique (Gail Russell) was all that deep, that is very true. And her choosing the life she chose didn't really add up to me. But I guess it's because she blamed Ralls.

In fact.. if you think of it.. the entire MOVIE was just one big flashback as it starts w/ Rosen telling "his" story..but it wasn't even HIS story he was telling. And not to get TOO technical.. because I am NO "expert" writer here.. but I thought that there were way too many issues w/ "perspective" too with all that "flashbacking". So many of the things we were seeing were NOT things that the person telling the story would even have had any knowledge of. (like the private scenes between Angelique and Ralls) at the very least whoever was doing the telling (first Sydney then his neice, etc) would have HAD to be "outside the room" or "hiding in the bushes" to even KNOW what those two said or thought while they were alone.. if the whole "flash back" thing were to be legitimate. (Oh brother.. listen to me.. ha. like I even know what I am talking about.. ha. My 10th grade English teacher would be so proud.. yeah.. right.. HA!)

That is a very legit complaint. It's a complaint I often have with flashbacks, such as films like Saving Private Ryan. How do these people know the story when they weren't there? But it didn't bother me in Wake of the Red Witch.

Ahoy, Matey-Ro!

RED WITCH SPOILERS!!

> I absolutely saw this when I watched this time (it was SO long ago, I don't know if I had even seen Wuthering Heights way back when I watched this movie the first time) The similarity is almost blatant... they don't even really try to hide it... (Except that Angelique" is like the "Anti-Cathy" ha.) I wonder if the author just sort of had that in mind when it was written.. or if it was how it played out when it got made into a movie. Either way.. the comparison there cannot be ignored.

>

You saw it too? Good! I thought maybe I was stretching things a bit, but I'm

glad to know someone else saw the similarities. And the period setting being

similar also adds to the comparison.

>

> There was very much a "hate/love/hate/love" thing going on with him for Ralls. I think in the beginning he just wanted to use him (for what he could get out of him) and then as he saw his personality and his inner strength and determination.. he began to envy, resent, and secretly admire him for it all at the same time. It was almost like a "cat and mouse" thing with him... he would toy with him.. and you'd think at any moment he was going to pounce and just try to devour him.. but at the same time.. the cat wanted to keep the mouse as a pet (sometimes for "entertainment" of amusement.. and sometimes because he really (secretly) liked him and admired his spirit. Ralls almost became his "reason" for being in a way.

>

Brilliant! It is "cat and mouse" all the way. Sydney could have just

done away with Ralls at any time if that's what he wanted (and certainly

Henry Daniel and Captain Younger wanted it that way), but he always

held back to see if Ralls could be broken. And Ralls knew this! Like

when Rosen asks if he'll accompany him to dinner on the island with

Sydney and Ralls refused in the beginning, wanting to make Sydney

come to him. He knew Sydney wanted to know where the Red Witch

was sunk but he also knew, I think, that Sydney was not the type to

resist a challenge.

I also agree with you about the flashback device. I never thought

about it, but I believe you are right. The story would have been

much more coherent...scenes would have flowed logically out

of each other...had the story taken place in real, linear time. And

it definitely didn't make sense that so many of the flashbacks revealed

dialogue and action the person couldn't possibly have known about.

The movie does make you want more...more about Ralls in particular,

and more from Angelique certainly. With a better writer and director,

it could have given us that, but it's still very entertaining. I think it

may be better than Reap the Wild Wind, which has some

similarities. I don't remember RTWW being as psychologically

complex.

I'm so glad you got to watch it, Ro! And if nothing else, it inspired

you to add a new "weapon" to your arsenal!

octopus_1_md.gif

Edited by: MissGoddess on Sep 6, 2010 2:12 PM

Oh, for goodness sake, Quiet Gal! You and your always wanting more!

Ha.. THIS from the guy who once spent days (no.. it was literally WEEKS I think) going round and round (and ROUND) with me over The Oxbow Incident. Of COURSE I want MORE. I like to know what it is that makes someone THAT interesting (as Rall's character) TICK!

And then you let McLintock! just walk right on by!

Oh good gravy, Grey Dude.. we are talking apples and ORANGES!! McLintock was a "fun" comedy about a BIG man with a BOLD personality taking on his " NOT-so" prim and proper" hot headed wife (among other things) It was a "COMEDY" for crying out loud..ha. I do not need to KNOW what makes THEM the way they were to enjoy it.

Oh..and PS: regarding my love for "getting to know" my characters... there WAS a lot more detail about who McLintock and Katherine were and their background too than what was given to us about RALLS and Angelique.. by the way..

Golly, talk about apples and oranges.. GW was an OPEN BOOK. He even tells that whole story to his daughter about how it was when he and Katherine were first starting out.. so put THAT in your "apple basket' and smoke it, Mister "I hate all things McLintock" HA!! :P

Were you looking for one specific event in his childhood or life that made him who he was? "Back when he was ten, all the other kids teased him so he swore he'd get revenge on everyone."

Now you are just being smart mouthed, ha. But MAYBE. That MIGHT have been it. Who KNOWS??? And that's the point.

I am thinking he got knocked down a LOT in life and it made him mad.. and he was not a good "mad" guy. Some people handle anger better than others. Anyway.. nobody ends up THAT dark of a person w/out SOME sort of reason or background.. I just wanted to get a glimpse, of the "inner" mindset for him, I guess.

Hello Goddess of the Sea!!! :D

I thought maybe I was stretching things a bit, but I'm

glad to know someone else saw the similarities.

Oh yeah.. it was very much there. I even thought Gail looke a bit "Cathy-ish) and sounded that way too.. about all that "now we can be together forever" stuff.

Sydney was not the type to

resist a challenge.

I thought he was the best "explained" character of them all. You really got a sense for how AWFUL he was.. and yet.. he DID have his moments where he was pulling for the Duke to win out. I at least understood him (in terms of who he was) better than I did the others. (somewhat)

I think it may be better than Reap the Wild Wind,

I need to look that one up because I am familiar w/ the title but it is not ringing any bells for me w/ the story.

And if nothing else, it inspired

you to add a new "weapon" to your arsenal!

Oh yeah.. and I am putting a RUSH order on that thing too... especially if we are going to go down the road to Wuthering Height. ha. Somehow, I KNOW it will come in handy!! :D

just think it's his nature. It's Wayne's To Have and Have Not.

Hey.. maybe he was bit by.. a DEAD BEE!!! (and that was what made him so angry!!) :P:P:P:P

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Hello Goddess of the Sea!!! :D

>

More like Chicken of the Sea! (It is chicken, right?)

> Oh yeah.. it was very much there. I even thought Gail looke a bit "Cathy-ish) and sounded that way too.. about all that "now we can be together forever" stuff.

>

:D Ah, sweet romance!! I can't wait for the Wuthering Heights rumble!

> I thought he was the best "explained" character of them all. You really got a sense for how AWFUL he was.. and yet.. he DID have his moments where he was pulling for the Duke to win out. I at least understood him (in terms of who he was) better than I did the others. (somewhat)

>

He was pretty transparent. It helped that all the men seemed to suffer from

the same fit of envy, except Rosen.

> I need to look that one up because I am familiar w/ the title but it is not ringing any bells for me w/ the story.

>

Ray Milland and Susan Hayward are in it, along with Paulette Goddard and a giant squid (or octopus).

> Oh yeah.. and I am putting a RUSH order on that thing too... especially if we are going to go down the road to Wuthering Height. ha. Somehow, I KNOW it will come in handy!! :D

We may BOTH need one. I'm the one who first mentioned it so when he sees it and hates it, I know who's getting blamed.