Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

?The Mortal Storm?....

30 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > Yep, I guess this film must have been made just before Hollywood came to the realization that ALL Nazis should be played by guys who have British accents!

> I think maybe the ancient Romans spoke with British accents too. Evidently a result of their invasion of Britain. :)

Good point, Fred!

Well, that IS all those ancient Romans spoke with a British accent EXCEPT for that one particular dude who once famously mumbled his way through a monologue while on the steps of the Roman Senate, AND while using a distinctly Midwestern accent!

thumbnail.aspx?q=1450406587403&id=2bcade

;)

They never explained how the Frank Morgan character is the only one who's Jewish. Margaret Sullavan is supposed to be his daughter, isn't she? She's not Jewish? Would a Nazi like Robert Young be willing to marry a Jew? A half-Jew?

I also have wondered about that. I guess it all depends on what being jewish means in the context of the movie. If it relates to being from the hebrew tribe than of course Morgan's kids (if he is their bio-father), are at least half hebrew jewish.

If being jewish is just being a member of a religious group then Young could just say 'as of today, I'm not jewish, I'm Christian'. Problem solved, assuming the evil nazis agree with him (and it appear they did since he was accepted by them). But I always wondered why they did accept him based on their misguided view toward Jews. i.e. he was one of 'them' and thus he should of been treated just like his dad.

Looks like another letters of transit discussion brewing!

Since you brought up CASABLANCA, this was a more important film than CASABLANCA. You could say that this was one of the most important films ever made, because it was instrumental in eventually drawing the U.S. into the European portion of the war.

At IMDB, the only people listed as being named Roth are Frank Morgan, his wife, and his daughter Freya. But a review on IMDB says that Rudi (Gene Reynolds) is also their son, so he's a Roth too.

The review says that William T. Orr and Robert Stack (Erich and Otto von Rohn) are the mother's sons from "a former marriage", so her former husband must have been an Aryan.

Robert Young and James Stewart are listed as being family friends and "rivals" for the Roth daughter.

The review also says that the stepsons and Young are confirmed Nazis,

This film is a little confusing with all the mixed family/friend relationships.