Sign in to follow this  
ziggyelman

How about a new Pre Code photo thread????

203 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}Great pix, Zig! Thanks for posting them! :)

Thanks Scottman! I was starting to wonder if it had been so long no one would even notice....

Now, lets see if I have already forgotten how to do this!

[Dorothy Mackaill|http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0533108/] image from Safe in Hell

imagebam.com

> eab82d133786972.jpg

I am sure this lady is NOT Fanny Brice.

What was the source of the photo? Who originally thought it was Fanny B.?

It looks to be from the early 1930's and may actually be a Burlesque performer or something like that (not necessarily a Hollywood film actress).

I hope she can be properly identified eventually .

Oh, and thanks for all those other great photos, especially Jean Arthur and Joan Blondell!

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > eab82d133786972.jpg

> I am sure this lady is NOT Fanny Brice.

>

> What was the source of the photo? Who originally thought it was Fanny B.?

> It looks to be from the early 1930's and may actually be a Burlesque performer or something like that (not necessarily a Hollywood film actress).

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I hope she can be properly identified eventually .

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Oh, and thanks for all those other great photos, especially Jean Arthur and Joan Blondell!

>

{quote:title=musicalnovelty,

since you questioned the photo, I did some digging...couldn't really prove anything one way or another. Clearly someone, somewheres, scanned the image, said it was Fanny and it spread across the web with everyone saying it's her.

if this was someone like, say Carole Lombard...it would be very hard for me to be fooled by someone claiming an image that wasn't her, was. I see it on forums all the time, someone will think picture A is ____ then 2-3 folks quickly chime in saying, wrong moron that is B, not A ! ;)

I've never seen the young Fanny, just the middle aged plus Fanny.

Don't think this solves anything either, but her is her pic on the DVD of Be Yourself.

}{quote}

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51K3C2U7oeL.jpg

if anything, the most likely real Fanny has a smaller nose than the half naked "Fanny" I think....but both of them seem to have a very thin upper lip.

glad you and Scottman like the previous images! :)

A wonderful new resource for pics is now available. Many issues of Photoplay, the premier fan magazine of its time, have been placed online through the Media History Digital Library. For now, years include 1917, 1920, 1925 to 1930, 1935 to 1938 and 1940. The issues are shown with their original spot or full color (usually limited to covers or ads); it's well worth checking out. Find it at http://mediahistoryproject.org/fanmagazines/

> {quote:title=VP19 wrote:}{quote}A wonderful new resource for pics is now available. Many issues of Photoplay, the premier fan magazine of its time, have been placed online through the Media History Digital Library. For now, years include 1917, 1920, 1925 to 1930, 1935 to 1938 and 1940. The issues are shown with their original spot or full color (usually limited to covers or ads); it's well worth checking out. Find it at http://mediahistoryproject.org/fanmagazines/

Thanks for the 411 VP19!

wow, that link is amazing! thanks so much, VP19! I can't wait until they add more pre-Code era Photoplays, but there's plenty to enjoy in the meantime.

I hope this link works.

This is supposed to be a studio publicity still of Joan Crawford for "Dancing Lady" from 1933. She's not exactly naked, she's wearing a tight body stocking under the gown:

Joan Crawford - 1933 publicity for ''Dancing Lady''.

5727680485_2534a3a839_z.jpg

Yay! Just have to remember plain text, not rich text..."borrowed" these from a very cool site a year or two ago, now can't remember where! :(

ImageBam image uploadImageBam image uploadImageBam image uploadImageBam image uploadImageBam image uploadImageBam image upload