Sign in to follow this  
Sipi

1950's "silent" film

6 posts in this topic

About 30 yrs ago I saw a movie on television that I believe was from the early 50's. I can't remember the title of the movie.

If I remember correctly not one word was spoken during the whole film. It was, however, a sound film as there was background noise from traffic and so forth.

The story was about a Soviet spy in New York City who killed an American agent who was tracking him.

The Russian spy, apparently was gripped by such a sense of conscience over the matter, he turned himself in to the authorities.

One of the most memorable scenes in the film was the spy standing in front of a Justice Dep't building with two doors one marked "civil" and one maked "criminal". In the last scene of the film he walks through the door marked "criminal".

The movie seemed to be masterfully done. It portrayed such a variety of emotion without a word spoken. First, survival, fear of capture, regret, and finally, surrender to accept responibility for his actions.

I would appreciate any information about this very unique film?

Thanks, Sipi

I know it's not the movie you mean, but did you ever see "The Silent Movie" made in 1976, starring Mel Brooks, Dom Deluis and Marty Feldman?

Not a word of dialogue--but really funny!

Re "The Thief":

As always, Ray Milland gave a fine performance in this film, which also starred Rita Gam.

It was an interesting experiment, but many found it gimmicky.

This movie was shown a couple of years ago at Cinevent in Columbus, OH. Quite compelling to see with a rapt audience who remained attentively silent throughout. Besides Milland's gripping performance, it was a rare chance to see Martin Gabel, husband of Arlene Francis, who was most effective as his sinister contact.

Nice to see you again, fitc, it's been way too long.

actually, jim2, the only 'voice' that was expressed in brooks' silent movie was that of non-other than marcel marceau, the mime...is mel a hoot or what?