Sign in to follow this  
FrRonald

Title and stars of silent movie

6 posts in this topic

I have an 85 year old cousin who is trying to remember a movie she saw as a little girl.--A young couple wih a baby are quite poor and have no milk for the baby--the husband steals a quart of milk and is arrested and sent to jail---After serving time he comes home---The little boy goes out to play and is hit and killed by a car....My cousin believes that was the story...Can anyone let me know the title of the movie as well as the stars. Thank you for any help you can give...Fr. Ronald.

Father Ronald,

Welocome back. It is possible that it could be *THE HOME MAKER* (Universal 1925?), with Clive Brook and Alice Joyce. I have never seen this picture, but it pre-dates King Vidor's *THE CROWD*, and has a very similar story. *THE HOME MAKER* exists and was restored by UCLA a few years ago. Kevin Brownlow just raved about this movie back in May of 2008.

Incidentally, while we are still not sure of the survival status of *OVER THE HILL,* Rich at Sunrise Silents has a very good print of another popular Mary Carr feature *"SOMEBODY'S MOTHER"* and intends to release it on DVD-R sometime in 2010! A Happy New Year to you!

Sounds like *The Crowd* to me. King Vidor's 1928 film starred Eleanor Boardman and James Murray.

Gagman66--Good to hear from you. The Home Maker is not the film. As a liittle girl my cousin said that the scene that struck her --- after the father comes home after serving time,the family was quite happy and the little boy received a ????ball and went out to play and the ball went into the street and the boy went after it and was struck and killed by a car...... P S--I hope a copy of OVER THE HILL(1920)can be found.. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND TO DREDNM. I appreciate the help of both of you. Fr. Ronald

Gagman66--Good to hear from you. The Home Maker is not the film. As a liittle girl my cousin said that the scene that struck her --- after the father comes home after serving time,the family was quite happy and the little boy received a ????ball and went out to play and the ball went into the street and the boy went after it and was struck and killed by a car...... P S--I hope a copy of OVER THE HILL(1920)can be found.. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND TO DREDNM. I appreciate the help of both of you. Fr. Ronald