Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

?Five Graves to Cairo? late tonight 1/4-5/00

32 posts in this topic

What is it with DVD? The movie was on VHS ages ago. This concerns me. Will our grandchildren miss out on all these classics?

I know what you mean about DVD. I have LOTS of movies on VHS that are not on DVD yet. They are phasing out VCRs so quickly that this scares me too. The nice thing about DVDs is that computers can play them, but we shouldn't be releasing stuff on evil BluRay (I hate the HD revolution--makes regularly filmed things look stupid) until we've released everything else, or anyway found some way to let people access those classics once our VCRs die. (I hope that doesn't happen). Time goes by too fast. Can't we just enjoy our technology? Must we progress for progress' sake?

Anyway, it makes me think of that little moment in Men in Black in which Tommy Lee Jones holds up a 1" disc that will revolutionize the way we listen to music, but his comment sums it all up very well: "Guess I'll have to buy the White Album again."

Now I feel pretty stupid about that first paragraph. I may delete this tomorrow, so laugh at my tirade now. Oh well.

There's a machine called "Go Video." You pop the VHS tape in one end and a DVD blank in the other and press a button and off it goes. Works every time. I transferred about 500 tapes this way, some films that didn't make it to DVD but mostly things like the entire AFI Life Achievement series, the Kennedy Center Honors series -- stuff that will never ever make it to DVD.

Also, I agree with the Blu-ray comments. Not my thing. You can see people's pores. Life is not that CLEAR! No film in a theater looks like that. Regular HD is fine, regular DVDs are fine but Blu-ray looks totally unnatural to me.

Cathy Cartee

I still record everything on VHS. I find the picture quality better and I don't have to worry about scratched or cracked discs. It takes up more storage space, but my films last longer this way. And when the tapes do wear out (which I don't expect them to for at least 15 or 20 years), then we will see what new technology there is at that time, and it probably won't be DVD or even Blu-Ray.