Sign in to follow this  
tayloranalu

Anybody out there know & love "The Phantom of the Paradise"

6 posts in this topic

OMG, I am new to site & have been dying to know if anyone knows/loves this flik w/ Paul Williams as "SWAN" & Jesscia...Jessica....? as his unrequited love. It's a remake/retake on Phantom of the Opera. But its soundtrack is all written by Paul himself & really , in my humble opinion is awesome, especially"The Hell of It", a & "Old Souls".

Jessica Harper. She was in "Pennies From Heaven" with Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters around this same time. I have to confess that I don't find Paul Williams nearly as adorable as he seems to find himself, but this was certainly an era-appropriate remake, given what an un-subtle decade the 70's was. If you get Fox Movie Channel, they show it fairly regularly, and have put it in their three-times-in-a-row slot recently. I don't mean to downplay your enthusiasm. It's just that I wanted this to be better.

Thank u so much for your reply..oh how i wish i got fox movie chan,,but alas.. no. So i guess it seems that so far i am the only critter out there who is wild about this movie,,,,sokay..thanks for the acknowledgement anyway!!!

Taylor,

You aren't alone. I adore this film and it's soundtrack and have since I saw it almost forty years ago in the theater.

Paul Williams was one of the best songwriters of the 1970s and had a brief career as an actor. I love Beef (Gerrit Graham) and the back-up singers almost as much as the main characters.

So, you aren't alone. It runs on the Fox Movie Channel frequently as part of their *Legacy* series. The guy who hosts that series is married to Jessica Harper.

ROCKY HORROR and PARADISE would be a great double bill. Oddly, when I saw PARADISE in the theater it was paired with (are you sitting down?) ZARDOZ...