Sign in to follow this  
retsofcire

War flick

7 posts in this topic

I once saw a very exciting film where a tank persues a partially disabled airplane through a desert. I cannot remember the name of it nor do any of my "war flick" buddies! Help! I need to know the tittle so I can purchase it. I need this movie! If you know it could you email it to me at retsofarik@juno.com

Sounds a lot like "The Flight of the Phoenix (1965)" with James Stewart. Pretty entertaining, as I recall. There's also a tank crew in the desert film with Humphrey Bogart, a classic, called "Sahara" made in the 40's, I believe.

Perhaps your thinking of the Humphrey Bogart film "Sahara" (1943). There's a scene where his tank shoots down a german fighter and they takes the pilot captive.

I have also wondered for a long time what the name of this movie was, I saw it many years ago. If I am not mistaken the plane is a P-40 Warhawk. It's in color, I would say 1960's vintage.

Yup,

Guess how the plane was disabled? Unlike most WWII pursuit aircraft, the P-40 was liquid cooled, which made her a poor ground attack fighter in the the presence of ground fire. All the Kraut had to do was put a slug or two into the radiator and the P-40 could only do a minute or two of ground running with the big Allison engine before she overheated.

Later in the war, when ground fire was nearly non-existant, Lightnings, Thunderbolts, Mustangs, Spitfires and Hurricanes made strategic targets in occupied France and Germany a virtual shooting gallery for ground attacks. But in North Africa poor Doug had a pretty rough time with no coolant. BTW, who played the Kraut, and how did McClure finally come out?

Throttleman, Detroit