Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

?55 Days? is no ?Dr. Zhivago?...

32 posts in this topic

> "55 Days" is no "Dr. Zhivago"

Do you mean that in a good way, or a bad way?

(I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't care for the movie version of *Doctor Zhivago*.)

Edited by: Fedya on Feb 1, 2010 12:35 PM, to get rid of those %$@!%#! "smart quotes" Microsoft loves

55 DAYS is absolutely spectacular, as one might expect from a Samuel Bronston epic, with lavish sets, costumes and impeccable production values but, at its heart is about nothing much more than simplistic arguments for racial tolerance and against colonialism.

ZHIVAGO, on the other hand, is a film so vastly more sophisticated than most of its contemporaries (let alone the junk release nowadays), that it would stand out amid its competition in any era. Its spectacle serves the drama, providing a grand political and social tapestry across which its protagonists must crawl and struggle to survive. In all Bronston's films (save, perhaps, EL CID), the spectacle is there for its own sake, and to get people to pay money to see the movie. There's little below the surface.

Still, I think 55 DAYS AT PEKING is grand fun, if one doesn't demand much else from it.

Doctor Zhivago is on my all time top ten list of movies, next to On The Waterfront. I watched 55 Days in Peking today, was not impressed. No comparison, what so ever.

> {quote:title=Sprocket_Man wrote:}{quote}

> 55 DAYS is absolutely spectacular, as one might expect from a Samuel Bronston epic, with lavish sets, costumes and impeccable production values but, at its heart is about nothing much more than simplistic arguments for racial tolerance and against colonialism.

Do you happen to know who owns the video rights? I am not sure, but I think someone may have commented on this months ago and said that it's part of the same bunch of Bronston productions as El Cid and The Fall of the Roman Empire, meaning that presumably the Weinstein Bros. might have video rights to this one, as well.

Since I've been trying to watch as many of the old-school epics as possible, the ones that have been the hardest to track down were this one and Circus World. I don't mind watching either one of them on a broadcast version, or even an imported DVD, but it really would be very, very nice if they were available locally on DVD or even blu-ray at some point.

You ain't alone Feyda, Zhivago while spectacular nevertheless always fails to rein me in. I suppose i have seen all of it in the form of installments over the years, but have never been able to see it from beginning to end at one sitting. 55 days is in my opinion no EL CID , but it entertains as any film must when it has Heston. Niven and John Ireland... Ava looked a little shop worn in this this flick, but Oh Lord those eyes.

However the best thing about this showing of 55 days was not in the film, but immediately following when TCM aired the Sinatra short "THE HOUSE I LIVE IN" and even thought I am not American I never tire of this marvellous tribute to a set of values maybe never completely realized but still unique in the world by the most marvellous voice of the 20th century.

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> Do you happen to know who owns the video rights? I am not sure, but I think someone may have commented on this months ago and said that it's part of the same bunch of Bronston productions as El Cid and The Fall of the Roman Empire, meaning that presumably the Weinstein Bros. might have video rights to this one, as well.

As far as I know, the four Bronston films from EL CID through CIRCUS WORLD are owned by the Weinstein Company.

KING OF KINGS is owned by MGM, and JOHN PAUL JONES by Warner Bros.

> {quote:title=Jenetico wrote:}{quote}

> Doctor Zhivago is on my all time top ten list of movies, next to On The Waterfront. I watched 55 Days in Peking today, was not impressed. No comparison, what so ever.

Nice color, big elaborate sets, loud dramatic music, but no story. Using the older actors made it seem like they ran out of money after they paid for the big sets.

Of course, "55 Days at Peking" is not remotely in the class of a film like "Dr. Zhivago." But what disturbs me the most is that TCM's menu of choices for our "Top Ten" movies of all time omits films like "To Kill a Mockingbird," "Judgement at Nuremburg," "Schindler's List," "Gone with the Wind," "The Wizard of Oz," and "The Apartment," in favor of many obviously much lesser though many admittedly witty, clever, charming, or somehow simply memorable movies. There isn't even a single Charlie Chaplin film. And there is no write-in option.

I came up with five ("The Best Years of Our Lives," "On the Waterfront," "Ben-Hur," "Citizen Kane," and "Dr. Zhivago")--and then got stopped dead in my tracks.

I'm not sure what my final top ten list would be or even that it is even possible to compile such a list given the vast variety and history of cinematic accomplishments worldwide.

But I certainly can't even make an attempt at it given TCM's parameters.

Robert Osborne couldn't possibly have compiled this list.

For "31 Days of Oscar," TCM is allowing fans to select their top ten from a list the website is making available. I was referring to the choices on the list and the fact that the system does not allow you to make any recommendations outside of the list.

*You're very welcome, sweetie,*

Okay, I have to ask- Are you channeling Angela from *Bones* or do you know Valerie in real life?

> {quote:title=valeriequercia wrote:}{quote}

> For "31 Days of Oscar," TCM is allowing fans to select their top ten from a list the website is making available.

What website?

Where can I find the list?