Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

?55 Days? is no ?Dr. Zhivago?...

32 posts in this topic

I adore June Allyson, too. :x

Anyway, getting back to 55 Days, I can't believe it's been like 2 weeks and I still haven't had time to sit down and watch it, I have it on my DVR and I also made a DVD-R copy just in case, and after so many years of wanting to see it... well, I still hope I'll have watched it before winter's over.

> {quote:title=valeriequercia wrote:}{quote}

> Of course, "55 Days at Peking" is not remotely in the class of a film like "Dr. Zhivago." But what disturbs me the most is that TCM's menu of choices for our "Top Ten" movies of all time omits films like "To Kill a Mockingbird," "Judgement at Nuremburg," "Schindler's List," "Gone with the Wind," "The Wizard of Oz," and "The Apartment," in favor of many obviously much lesser though many admittedly witty, clever, charming, or somehow simply memorable movies. There isn't even a single Charlie Chaplin film. And there is no write-in option.

Ok, it looks like those are just the films showing this month, and you are supposed to pick your 10 from that list. Since ?Gone With The Wind? is not showing this month, it?s not on the list. :)

Maybe they could have shortened the film a bit, say, to a weekend in Peking. However, I enjoyed it. I liked the action, I liked Heston and Niven working together, I liked John Ireland, I liked the score. I kept being reminded of The Alamo while watching it.

Ava Gardner looked pretty good, but I wasn't much interested in her part.

The sets were nice, the color was ok. But nothing happened in the film. Maybe a little battle toward the end. Didn?t Steve McQueen make this film too and call it ?The Sand Pebbles??

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> The sets were nice, the color was ok. But nothing happened in the film. Maybe a little battle toward the end. Didnt Steve McQueen make this film too and call it The Sand Pebbles?

No, he filmed it in San Francisco and called it Bullitt.