Sign in to follow this  
esmagnus

TCM Classic Film Festival - Who's going?

75 posts in this topic

*Here are some of our press clippings...* - Fred

Ha! "Open Dailey"? And pizza must have been big even in 1859!

For those of you who are worried about where the money goes and those of you who are interested in seeing the movies on the big screen I found a happy medium that is great for me because it is MUCH eaiser on the checkbook it is Robert Osborne's Classic Film Festival. You can get a pass to see 8 movies and have brunch with RO for $100 It is in Athens GA and it is non profit the funds go to the UGA journalism dept. See happy medium. They also have celebrity guest attending to introduce each movie as well as RO. You can check out the website at

www.robertosbornefilmfestival.com

> {quote:title=CjHuthmaker wrote:}{quote}

> I found a happy medium that is great for me because it is MUCH eaiser on the checkbook it is Robert Osborne's Classic Film Festival. You can get a pass to see 8 movies and have brunch with RO for $100 It is in Athens GA and it is non profit the funds go to the UGA journalism dept.

That sounds like a really nice festival. I would love to be able to attend the Double Indemnity screening, at least. :)

Fiddle dee-dee, Uncle Bob in Athens, GA. I met, very briefly, Truman Capote at a

literary reception many moons ago in Athens. I like Bob, but in the writing department,

he'll have to take second place. The school showed a movie every night for those students

who wanted to go. We saw a number of classics on the full screen, which is always the

best way. Sometimes we were a little high, but we never let that interfere with our interest

in the classic cinema. How 'bout them Dawgs!

When I hear the expression "mingling with the stars", I think of the "Seinfeld" episode in which George "mingles" with Corbin Bernsen and George Wendt.

I see. I see.

?The lure of any of us 'mingling' with the stars is crazy. I attend film festivals with celebrities and I can tell you, it's awkward interrupting them just to say hello. Well, at least for anyone with manners.? - < TikiSoo >

That made me laugh Tiki. Seeing the lack of manners and interrupted conversations on this Message Board by those with the pathological need for attention, the thought of them ?ming-ling? out in the real world sends shivers up my spine and would cost billions for TCM to have adequate security.

But not to worry. There will be no mingling.

I wish I could go, I'm a big fan of classic films and I live 30 minutes from Hollywood but I can't find any reason to drop 500 big ones for a pass. I mean why is it so expensive? I mean all these restored films they keep dangling in my face everytime I see the ad on TCM are just going on blu-ray later on this year anyways. Metropolis is slated to be on blu-ray with restorations.... so....... why is it 500. LOL

TCM is financially supporting the restoration of *Temple Drake* and has helped restore other films, so those concerned that the network is not supporting film preservation might want to take a look.

What the heck? I've decided to take Horace Greeley's famous advice to heart -- "Go west, young man, and grow up with the country."

Around where I am, a lot of folks don't want to watch the classics. This will be fun to experience the movies as they are meant to be seen and hopefully I will meet many like-minded individuals.

Gee I hope not ... I'm hoping to catch Bob O. at some point and get him to sign my copy of 80 Years of Oscar, which I just bought. It really is a great book. Who knows? Maybe I'll get lucky!

I self-proclaim myself famous. You are all welcome to mingle with me at the festival - unless, of course, you're the person railing on Jerry Lewis in the Jerry Lewis thread or someone that knows that person.

So, what 's the verdict? What did the tickets get you except some expensive film festival tickets?

I followed the whole thing on Twitter and I didn't see anything that made me think "oh, so that's where the price of the tickets go!" :)

Esmagnus, the TCM operation was first class. This was the first film festival I've been to where I was able to have great conversations with film lovers from all over the world. In fact, there wasn't one film I attended where I didn't talk to at least two new folks. As someone with TCM said, it was really like a convention with the added spice of glamorous old Hollywood. If you're looking at the cost per film, you've missed the point.

> {quote:title=SisterLuke wrote:}{quote}

> I wish I could go, I'm a big fan of classic films and I live 30 minutes from Hollywood but I can't find any reason to drop 500 big ones for a pass. I mean why is it so expensive? I mean all these restored films they keep dangling in my face everytime I see the ad on TCM are just going on blu-ray later on this year anyways. Metropolis is slated to be on blu-ray with restorations.... so....... why is it 500. LOL

My opinion is because this particular type of festival costs a lot to produce, and they wanted a lot of high-class Hollywood-type people to attend, especially the parties and the other events. This is a very clever decision on their part.

This was not just an opportunity for people to see some old movies in a theater. It was a big EVENT like old Hollywood Premiers used to be.

At first I was offended a few months ago when I saw the prices for the passes, but then I gradually began to realize that this was a brilliant decision. That way they got a lot of participation from people inside and related to the movie business. This is going to result in a lot of discussion in Hollywood (and around the world) about the restoration of other films and about other kinds of film festivals. The resulting publicity will also result in a lot of younger people thinking it?s cool and ok to actually want to see older movies.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2010/04/tcm-party.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/25/entertainment/la-ca-metropolis-20100425

http://www.laindependent.com/entertainment/movies/91982114.html

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/entertainment&id=7403707

http://www.altfg.com/blog/movie/tcm-film-festival-judy-garland-jean-luc-godard/

It definitely cost them a lot to produce. That came home to me as I was sitting in Grauman's Chinese and realizing they booked this place, not for one screening or two, but for FOUR whole days! Think of the revenue Grauman's would be making (especially on the weekend) with a popular recent movie. And the two theatres in Mann's, and the Egyptian. Then add in the cost of taking over so much of the Hollywood Roosevelt. And bringing in the stars who will get a fee (and bringing Luise Rainer and Jean-Paul Belmondo over from France). Plus the cost of renting the films, etc. Plus the open bar time at Club TCM. Plus bringing most of the TCM staff out to L.A. and booking them into hotels.

I could easily see where all of the money went to!

It's certainly quite different if your staff is here, you have your own theatre like the Academy does, etc.

To all who sniped at the festival for L.A. people, as in how could this possibly be worth the price for an area inundated with classic film festivals, let me say this:

Yes, if you live in West L.A. or Hollywood or Los Feliz or Studio City, you are surrounded by an abundance of theaters who show classic film revivals. However, even for someone living 25 or more miles from Hollywood and UCLA and Santa Monica and other venues, it's not so easy to always get to these showings. Traffic during the week can make it impossible for a working 9-to-5-er to make any weekday showing. And on the weekend friends may not want to attend with you if they live too far away. Such is life in L.A. Yes, Westsiders, there is a whole population of people in the L.A. environs who live east of downtown Los Angeles! The fables are true. They do exist! I encountered many local people at the festival, people from Orange County, and one man who said he lived down the street. Untrue that it was all out of towners!

Also, TCM has just recently piqued my interest in seeing a lot of these films on the big screen. Sometimes people acquire different tastes later in life. Having grown up here, I was honestly unaware until recently about the Egyptian and Grauman's showing retrospectives. Hollywood is not my hangout. I live at the beach and have a life there. I also think that even if I attended a screening at the Egyptian now that the audience would not have the same flavor as the TCM crowd and the experience would not have the same amount of fun and enthusiasm.

Soooo.....to the detractors all I can say is I'm sorry that you've become so jaded that you can't appreciate something so special. I think my money was well spent. I'm grateful for TCM making me aware that there are so many opportunities for classic film screenings in my area. I think I'll start trying to seek them out now, but I still think that it's worth it to attend theTCM festival. Hopefully I'll be back next year, and whether I buy a pass or try to buy individual tickets, I'll still think it's a unique experience.

Edited by: celticelle on Apr 29, 2010 6:50 PM

Edited by: celticelle on Apr 29, 2010 6:53 PM

"If you're looking at the cost per film, you've missed the point." - < mavfan4life >

You're right Mav. The sour grapes and bashing of TCM and feigned interest in preservation in order to continue to bash TCM are very revelatory and fooling no one. From the accounts of

those that actually were open enough to participate, TCM's first-ever film festival was a wonder-

ful and successful event.

> {quote:title=mavfan4life wrote:}{quote}

> Esmagnus, the TCM operation was first class. This was the first film festival I've been to where I was able to have great conversations with film lovers from all over the world. In fact, there wasn't one film I attended where I didn't talk to at least two new folks. As someone with TCM said, it was really like a convention with the added spice of glamorous old Hollywood. If you're looking at the cost per film, you've missed the point.

My sentiments exactly! It was a first class operation all the way. :)