Sign in to follow this  
pastdue74

Vintage clothes

16 posts in this topic

Anyone wearing their finest vintage clothing?? How about not so fine vintage clothing If so, is it sentimental, got at Goodwill, handmade, got from Gramma...Whats the story???

We searched vintage stores, Goodwill, flea markets, costume stores, and even begged theatre and opera costume departments - all to no avail. Realizing we had only six weeks to go, we decided to make this a truly memorable event and went to a custom tailor who's doing two complete reproductions for us.

Sorry, I won't divulge what we're wearing here, but, suffice it to say, if everything goes as planned the clothing and movies from which they are patterned should be easily recognizable.

See you in Hollywood in April . . .

Sounds eye-catching! If you're re-creating Claudette Colbert's black party dress from "Midnight," I want pix. That is, hands down, one of the great Hollywood gowns of all time, and it wasn't even by Adrian. (Actually this topic deserves its own thread, no?).

Whatever you choose to wear, I salute your Big Night Out spirit! Have a great time at the festival.

I would love to wear Elizabeth Taylor's strapless white party dress from the billiard room scene in "A Place in the Sun". I love that beautiful dress with all the tiny flowers on top and I love that scene too!

- Kathie

Is anyone planning to have an authentic vintage look about you while attending these great films? You are invited to come to my shop, Night And Day Vintage in CHICAGO. I am planning on attending myself and I think it'd be fun to dress to the 9's for all the events. If you are going to the festival and you come into my shop, please mention it for a TCM discount. I'm starting to get very excited about the trip. My favorite movie in the world is " A Star is Born " Who else from Chicago is going? Let me know.

I plan to wear a white dinner jacket to the opening night event! Some may think me overdressed, but I may never get another chance like this !

I'm assuming you're not planning on wearing the Redskins ballcap for the DC area fan meet-up with the white dinner jacket right?

You all doing the red carpet walk & VF cocktail party have fun (I'm in the cheap seats by the pool that night)

Nooooo. Not to the opening night event. Just at the Club TCM get together and other "casual" venues where, hopefully, it won't look out of place !!

Pastdue:

What ! And bring the 'Skins-Cowboys rivalry to the TCM Film Festival ! Why coaching greats Tom Landry and George Allen would be spinning in their graves !

I'm with you on that one...I've heard your pass will be immediately revoked for also wearing ripped jeans, visible thongs, or rhinestone sweatshirts! Hey, this is our one chance to honor 'The Golden Age of Hollywood' and really dress it up in representing that classic era! (only exception... white polyester leisure suits for 'Saturday Night Fever', fringed leather jackets for 'Midnight Cowboy', or green tights for 'The Adventures of Robin Hood'!).

How 'bout you folks wear the vintage clothes and I'll take pictures of you!

I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy, and Southern California is awfully hot for an rain-acclimated Seattleite. In fact, I might just be a shorts and t-shirt guy if things get out of hand.

David

I love the idea of vintage wear - I just bought off the rack.

I'll probably be the only dork not wearing a chic little black dress at this thing. I chose a blue dress and have been stressing about my choice for weeks. I have beautiful bronze shoes with rounded toe which looks rather '40s-style and I LOVE them. They match the styling of my dress which has criss-cross pleats, and so do my shoes.

I'm wearing slacks and blouse the rest of the time.

re: " If you are going to the festival and you come into my shop, please mention it for a TCM discount. I'm starting to get very excited about the trip. My favorite movie in the world is " A Star is Born " Who else from Chicago is going? Let me know.:

We're wearing custom period Tuxes: Ben is Rick from Casablanca - full Ivory Jacket & custom tux pants from Casablanca; and I am in Tails, vest, and tux pants worn by Fred Astaire in Top Hat - complete with Top Hat and replica cane.

See you at "Star is Born"