Sign in to follow this  
CelluloidKid

A passion for: Lady Sings the Blues (1972)!

4 posts in this topic

*_Lady Sings the Blues_ (1972) is 1 of my all time favorite "Bio" films. It was a film my mother introduced to me as a young boy, I remember growing up with both the music of Miss. Ross, and the music of Lady Day.*

_Lady Sings The Blues_ (1972) film about jazz singer Billie Holiday loosely based on her 1956 autobiography which, in turn, took its title from one of Holiday's most popular songs.

It was nominated for five Academy Awards, winning none.

The nominations were for Best Actress in a Leading Role (Diana Ross), Best Art Direction-Set Decoration (Carl Anderson, Reg Allen), Best Costume Design, Best Music, Original Song Score and Adaptation (Gil Askey) and Best Writing, Story and Screenplay Based on Factual Material or Material Not Previously Published or Produced.

The film was also screened at the 1973 Cannes Film Festival, but was not entered into the main competition.

Lady_sings_the_blues.jpg

201943.1020.A.jpg

464224.1010.A.jpg

diana-ross.jpg;

LADY%20SINGS%20BLUES%20JP.JPG

*_Lady Sings the Blues trailer:_*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpqD4FozSoI

*Try to find on CD _Blue_, also referred to as _The Blue Album_*

Recorded in late 1971 and early 1972[2], the album was conceived as follow-up to the successful Lady Sings the Blues soundtrack but was shelved in order to return Ross to the pop charts with the more pop oriented "Touch Me in the Morning" single and album. Finally released in 2006!

CD-DianaRossBlue.jpg;

*TCM?s celebration of Motown?s 50th anniversary (all times shown are Eastern):*

*Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - Midnight*

*_Lady Sings the Blues_ (1972)*

Diana Ross earned an Oscar nomination for her superb performance as Billie Holiday in this biopic covering the jazz singer?s rise and fall, the latter fueled by drug addiction. Billy Dee Williams and Richard Pryor co-star. This was the first film produced under the Motown Productions banner.

LADY%20SINGS%20BLUES%20LG%20IT.JPG

*Poster Nationality: Italian*

I have seen this film many times, a wonderful Lady and breaks my heart every time I watch it. We still have Her music. God Bless You Lady and Thank You.