Sign in to follow this  
CelluloidKid

'Alice in Wonderland' faces theater owner revolt in U.K.! WHAT!? Not Good!

5 posts in this topic

*WOW!!!* *Has DVD replaced going to the theater!???. I hope not!!*

*Trouble at the tea party: 'Alice in Wonderland' faces theater owner revolt in U.K.*

February 17, 2010

Los Angeles Times

*Are you ready for a trip down the rabbit hole? Tim Burton, Johnny Depp and Disney are adding a strange new chapter to the Lewis Carroll classic with their "Alice in Wonderland," a film that presents a young woman who finds herself in the world of the Mad Hatter, the Cheshire Cat and the Red Queen. She is welcomed as a returning visitor -- but is she, in fact, the same Alice who roamed the trippy realm as a child? Time will tell. Here at the Hero Complex, we're counting down to the film's March 5 release with daily coverage. Today, a look at the brewing controversy that threaten the film's box office in Europe.*

Walt Disney Pictures' decision to accelerate the release of its upcoming 3-D film "Alice in Wonderland" on DVD has sparked a revolt among movie theater owners in Europe.

Major chains in the U.K. and the Netherlands have threatened to boycott the movie when it hits theaters March 5, a move that could cut into box-office revenue.

The film adaptation based on classic characters of Lewis Carroll has become the latest battleground between studios and exhibitors over how soon movies should be released on DVD after they've opened in theaters.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/02/alice-in-wonderland-faces-theater-owner-revolt-.html

They already did a nice movie version of "Alice in Wonderland" (1999) starring Tina Majorino who made a very nice Alice charactor.

51K6ZSQ35PL.jpg

Alice-in-Wonderland-tina-majorino-883002

Plus the Sci fi channel had a weird twisted retelling of the movie (that one should have been lost in Wonderland) called "Alice" (2009) I sort of think *that one* would have been up Tim Burton's alley.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> They already did a nice movie version of "Alice in Wonderland" (1999) starring Tina Majorino who made a very nice Alice charactor.

hamradio,

The 1999 version of Alice in Wonderland was a TV movie - and a good one, at that, winning 4 primetime Emmys.

However, much of the spectacle of Burton's version is designed (presumably) to be best appreciated in the new, digital 3-D systems, especially those of IMAX screens.

If digital 3D makes a great movie, then there are those who hopes someone remakes

Disney's "Pinocchio" in 3D and cast him as the worlds biggest fibber.

pinoc.jpg

I just saw the commercial for it and I don't like it. Its a dark version of the story much like the Sci Fi channels, "Alice". I like the the 1999 version better even if its a made for TV flim.

I can't beleive Disney is having a hand in this! What ever happen to *charm?*

So many dark gloomy movies being made nowadays - I think people are playing way too many video games and the movies are beginning to reflect it.

Bet Walt Disney is turning over in his grave. :(